Deleterious

Bad news for Pistons' Jodie Meeks

Bad news for Pistons' Jodie Meeks: Foot not healed, return not imminent | MLive.com

The Detroit Pistons guard's broken right foot is not healed and he must stop practicing, as well as much of his running and other activities, he said Monday.
Meeks said the foot was sore last week, after he resumed practice eight days ago. He learned Monday in a consultation with the surgeon who operated on him, Dr. Martin O'Malley, that the broken right fifth metatarsal has not healed.

The Pistons hoped to have Meeks back before next week's All-Star break, but he said before Monday night's game against the Brooklyn Nets that he will not resume practicing until the foot is healed.

More at the link

I think this is where we may see a move made. Power forward will be upgraded on in the summer.... But I could see SVG adding wing help... Especially considering Meeks will be in the last year of his deal next season and coming off this injury.

Wonder who we could go after

When we look back at SVG's work as a GM in a few years we'll have to slot the the Meeks signing in the "bad move" column, but really there was no way to predict his slew of injuries. It's unfortunate because he could have really added something to this bench.

I think this is where we may see a move made. Power forward will be upgraded on in the summer.... But I could see SVG adding wing help... Especially considering Meeks will be in the last year of his deal next season and coming off this injury.

Wonder who we could go after

That might not be necessary.

SVG likes putting Stanley at SG for a few minutes each quarter, and it seems like the past month has seen Hilliard getting a few minutes there every other game.

I think that SVG still does NOT want to give up any assets of future value, whether that's for a PF or SG or whatever. We may just have to ride this roster out for the season, and wait for the off-season until we get roster corrections. And it wouldn't bother me to trade Meeks for cap purposes, at the cost of a 2nd... But, Philly isn't doing this anymore so I don't know who would still be interested in doing that, and SVG keeps trading our 2nds, so I don't know what we have available to send out. Or maybe we get a late round 2nd for someone to take Meeks? I don't know who would do that...

Too bad really. He wasn't perfect, but I think a healthy Meeks was a nice fit here

Agreed. I was pretty excited when we signed him, just because of SVG's system.

I was at the Amway Center when Jodie poured in 34 points against the hapless Magic last season, and I really thought that was going to be a turning point.

Here's to next season for Jodie, I guess.

Now KCP looks to be out for 6 weeks at least with a core muscle strain. SJ is gonna get his chance to compete for ROY I guess. We need some better D at the 3 or 4 though. Maybe Reggie can focus more on the defensive side and let Stanley take some of the offensive load in some games. Kid can score in this league no doubt.

Now KCP looks to be out for 6 weeks at least with a core muscle strain. SJ is gonna get his chance to compete for ROY I guess. We need some better D at the 3 or 4 though. Maybe Reggie can focus more on the defensive side and let Stanley take some of the offensive load in some games. Kid can score in this league no doubt.

Is that official? I didn't see a timeline anywhere. He hasn't even had the MRI done yet I don't believe.

The time line isn't official but the injury is and the time line is based on similar injuries. He's gonna be re evaluated after the AS break so I suppose there's a chance it could be less.

http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2016/2/4/10920608/kentavious-caldwell-pope-injury-detroit-pistons-core-muscle-strain?utm_campaign=detroitbadboys&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Edited by DaBishop

I'm a little surprised a bigger stink isn't being made about how he was injured.

I would be raising holy hell about that water on the floor if my player got hurt because of it.

I'm a little surprised a bigger stink isn't being made about how he was injured.

I would be raising holy hell about that water on the floor if my player got hurt because of it.

Agree. The floor condition was mentioned several times on FSD.

Langlois tweeted out Meeks has been cleared and practiced today. That would be a nice boost if we can get him back in a couple weeks. Hillard needs to be in the D League.

Langlois tweeted out Meeks has been cleared and practiced today. That would be a nice boost if we can get him back in a couple weeks. Hillard needs to be in the D League.

It was a foot injury and he hasn't played (or done much running/jumping/cutting) all season. I expect he's pretty much a loss for this year. It'll take him over a month or more just to get into rhythm and try to get his conditioning back and we're already into March. At this point I'd rather keep playing Hilliard until SJ comes back.

That's unfortunate. Really gotta question his future with the team going into next season the way Bullock and Hillard have played. 

Any thought of cutting and stretching Meeks? I know he's only got one year left but it would free up about 4.3 million in cap space that they could really use now that they got Harris. 

They would have to pay him roughly $2.2 million for the next 3 years. 

WIth Smith already stretched I wouldn't. Eat the last year. We likely aren't looknig at making big adds anyways. 

17 hours ago, Sydney_Fife said:

That's unfortunate. Really gotta question his future with the team going into next season the way Bullock and Hillard have played. 

Lets not put those guys in the HOF just yet

I like Meeks I'm just not sure what he will provide after missing the whole season. Hopefully he can get fully healthy over the summer and return for us. Bullock gives us depth. 

I wouldn't cut him.  Even stretching him they wouldn't have much cap space to go after anyone.  They need to hope Meeks gets healthy and can get back near that 37% career 3PT%.

There best be at adding shooting this summer might be Meeks getting healthy.  

Well said Del. We need all the shooters and all the depth we can get. I don't have a ton of hope for Meeks, but give it a shot and let his deal expire