RedRamage

2015 vs. 2016 roster

Just for the fun of it, let's look at the roster and give a plus or minus for the 2016 vs. 2015 players. Grades are:

-- = much worse

- = worse

0 = neutral

+ = better

++ = much better

Copy and paste the following and add your grades. Of course, feel free to add commentary if you want.

Catcher - Grade:

2015: Avila

2016: McCann

First - Grade:

2015: Cabrera

2016: Cabrera

Second - Grade:

2015: Kinsler

2016: Kinsler

ShortStop - Grade:

2015: Iglesais

2016: Iglesais

Third - Grade:

2015: Castellanos

2016: Castellanos

LF - Grade:

2015: Cespedes

2016: Upton

CF - Grade:

2015: Gose

2016: Gose

RF - Grade:

2015: Martinez

2016: Martinex

DH - Grade:

2016: Martinez

SP1 - Grade:

2015: Price

2016: Zimmermann

Sp2 - Grade:

2015: Verlander

2016: Verlander

SP3 - Grade:

2015: Sanchez

2016: Sanchez

SP4 - Grade:

2015: Greene

2016: Norris

SP5 - Grade:

2015: Simon

2016: Pelfrey

Closer - Grade:

2015: Soria

2016: Rodriguez

Bench - Grade:

Bullpen - Grade:

Edit to added a section for bench and bullpen

Catcher - Grade: +

I expect McCann as a full time starter to be as good or better than he was last year.

First - Grade: 0

He's aging, but still very dangerous. I don't see a drop off yet.

Second - Grade: 0

It's higher possibility of a age related drop off here, but I'll still go zero.

ShortStop - Grade: -

I think his offense regresses a bit.

Third - Grade: -

Hope I'm wrong here, but I think Nick takes a slight step back.

LF - Grade: +

Hard to say for sure. Defense might suffer a bit, but I hope offense better.

CF - Grade: 0

2016: Gose

RF - Grade: +

I think he continues to improve, if modestly.

DH - Grade: -

Age is catching up for Victor

SP1 - Grade: -

Price was just flat out awesome last year.

Sp2 - Grade: ++

Verlander will never be the great pitcher he was in the past, but he'll be much better than he was last year.

SP3 - Grade: +

I expect to see Sanchez rebound from a bit of a down year last year.

SP4 - Grade: ++

Greene started fantastic, but then dropped off hard.

SP5 - Grade: -

Simon had his down moments, but he also did some good work for a while. I'm not high on Pelfrey at all.

Closer - Grade: 0

This one was hard for me. I guess I don't know enough about KRod. I'll just grade it 0.

Over all in my estimation, a plus 2.

In hindsight, I suppose we should add a section for Bench and Bullpen as well, so:

Bullpen - Grade: +

Bench - Grade: 0

So make it an +3 total.

Catcher + (including both catchers)

1B +

2B 0

3B +

SS 0

LF +

CF + (based on Maybin over Gose)

RF 0

DH +

JV ++ (relative to JV and others)

Sanchez + (relative to Sanchez and others)

Norris + (relative to Greene and the others)

Zimmermann 0 (relative to price/Norris)

Pelfrey 0 (relative to Simon)

Bullpen ++ (including everyone)

Gose v Rajai +

Rest of bench 0

My scoring is right in line with Shelton. 1B and DH are both + as both fought through injuries again most of the year. I think Nick has a breakout year at 3B. +12 overall.

Really the only two that matter:

Starting Pitching = 0

Bullpen = +++++++

If these dudes perform, I promise you we win most of the games we lost last year. If someone would bother to just make a cursory look at how many games were lost because of the bullpen vs. the starters, you'll realize that we could have easily won the division if we had a slightly better than average bullpen.

I think we have that this year, and I say we win lots of games because of it.

If someone would bother to just make a cursory look at how many games were lost because of the bullpen vs. the starters, you'll realize that we could have easily won the division if we had a slightly better than average bullpen.

Just for the fun of it... I'll do that. Here's my off the cuff, dirty criteria:

If the SP had a quality start (6 IP, 3 or less runs) AND the bullpen had non-quality relief effort (more runs than 1/2 of IP (rounding to nearest inning)), then it's a bullpen loss.

If the SP didn't have a quality start (more than 4 runs and/or less than 6 IP) and the bullpen had a quality relief effort (fewer runs than 1/2 of IP) then the loss is on the starter.

If both had quality effort, then we'll blame the offense/defense.

If neither had quality efforts, then it's a team pitching loss.

The results are kinda interesting:

Starting Pitcher losses: 34

Relief Pitcher losses: 7

Offense/Defense losses: 18

Team Pitching losses: 28

So only 7 times did we get a quality start from the pitching but then saw the bullpen give up more earned runs than 1/2 * number of innings pitched.

Now I fully admit that these are really rough numbers and there's lots and lots of variables, but you did say "cursory." In my opinion the biggest variable here could be the idea that the bullpen was so bad that Ausmus was reluctant to pull a starter too early even if he showed signs of trouble. So, let's take half of the 'team pitching losses' and add them to the relief pitcher's area.

This still only makes it 21 to 34... 21 times where the starter did his job but the bullpen failed vs. 34 times the starters failed and the bullpen did their job.

Really the only two that matter:

Starting Pitching = 0

Bullpen = +++++++

If these dudes perform, I promise you we win most of the games we lost last year. If someone would bother to just make a cursory look at how many games were lost because of the bullpen vs. the starters, you'll realize that we could have easily won the division if we had a slightly better than average bullpen.

I think we have that this year, and I say we win lots of games because of it.

I agree that I think that those are the areas of most concern. I guess I disagree with the grading. I think that both groups have improved. I'm not sure that I see such a drastic improvement in the bullpen. If AWilson and Hardy can be used in less pressure situations and aren't pressed into high leverage out of necessity, that'll be a good thing.

I still have my worries about VMartinez. If he rebounds, I think the offense will be fine (health as caveat).

-- = much worse

- = worse

0 = neutral

+ = better

++ = much better

Copy and paste the following and add your grades. Of course, feel free to add commentary if you want.

Catcher - Grade: + (Salty over Avila makes it a plus)

2016: McCann/Salty

First - Grade: 0 (if healthy is a +, not assuming health)

Second - Grade: - (hard to repeat 2015)

ShortStop - Grade: + (should be more solid defensively, hopefully healthier too)

Third - Grade: + (2nd half performance for a young kid makes me believe)

LF - Grade: - (hard to match Cespedes' 2015)

CF - Grade: + (having 2 CFs to legit platoon for a whole season makes this a plus)

2016: Gose/Maybin

RF - Grade: - (hard to repeat 2015)

DH - Grade: ++ (can't be any worse)

SP1 - Grade: -- (Price was CY caliber)

Sp2 - Grade: +

SP4 - Grade: ++

SP5 - Grade: 0

Closer - Grade: 0

Bench - Grade: 0 (already factored this in at C/CF)

Bullpen - Grade: ++ (can't get any worse)

So I have +7 units, whatever that translates to.

So I have +7 units, whatever that translates to.

Take you final number of units (plus or minus) then:

Step 1: Divide by pi*r^2.

Step 2: Plug the resulting value in as the slope in this equation: y = m*x+12.3 and find your y-intercept.

Step 3: Next create a rectangle with that value as the length of one side, then use your original number as the length of the opposite side.

Step 4: Draw a diagonal line from one corner of the rectangle to the other. Find the slope of this line.

Step 5: Multiply by pi and divide by 2.5.

Step 6: Post your result.

Catcher - Grade: +

First - Grade: 0

Second - Grade: 0

ShortStop - Grade: -

Third - Grade: 0

LF - Grade: -

CF - Grade: +

2016: Gose/Maybin

RF - Grade: 0

DH - Grade: --

SP1 - Grade: -

Sp2 - Grade: 0

SP3 - Grade: -

SP4 - Grade: +

SP5 - Grade: -

Closer - Grade: ++

Bench - Grade: +

Bullpen - Grade: ++

+1 total, but I think we will be better than that once the season starts.

Step 2: Plug the resulting value in as the slope in this equation: y = m*x+12.3 and find your y-intercept.

Step 3: Next create a rectangle with that value as the length of one side, then use your original number as the length of the opposite side.

Step 4: Draw a diagonal line from one corner of the rectangle to the other. Find the slope of this line.

I got zucchini.

Catcher - Grade: 0/+

2015: Avila/ McCann

2016: McCann/ Saltalamacchia

I'm grading both players, and giving a neutral to plus for 2016. Salty is not a good defensive catcher. But I think overall, 2016 will grade out slightly higher, considering both defensive and offensive, with the expectation that Salty will also be used some at DH and a lot as a pinch-hitter. First glance is we might get some better hitting at Catcher but worse catching (overall improvement expected from McCann/ and Salty a plus on O; but a big drop going from Avila to Salty on defense...).

First - Grade: +

Hoping for a less-injured 2016 Cabrera which = a slight plus over last year's #'s. He put up good numbers in 2015 so it's hard to give a ++.

Second - Grade: 0/-

Same, or a year of aging that reduces his numbers some. No great drop off expected though.

ShortStop - Grade: +

2015: Iglesias

2016: Iglesias

I expect more out of him this year. Just a slight improvement in some areas. But that's all we need, or should expect to get. I'd be perfectly fine with slight improvements in health, focus, less mental errors, consistently fielding routine grounders, working on improving his offensive game.

Third - Grade: +

Same here. A bunch of slight improvements would be fine. Both offensively and defensively.

LF - Grade: 0/+

Not certain how to grade this spot. I'd like to see Upton break out a bit, and maybe even flourish in the #2 spot with Miggy behind him. But I'll just go conservative and stay neutral to slight plus.

CF - Grade: 0/+

2015: Gose/ Davis

2016: Maybin/ Gose

I expect near-0 at-bats against LH'ers for Gose (which will be a big improvement), and better fielding between the two 2016 CF'ers, and some other slight overall improvements between these two. It might just add up to neutral. But personally, I think overall, it'll actually be some slight improvement this year. Again I'll go conservative and say 0 to +.

RF - Grade: 0

Same.

DH - Grade: +/ ++

Nowhere to go but up, over last year. Difference between + and ++ is how much better Victor actually is this year. Even if he's much better, age could still slow him down some. Salty also may have a DH impact...

SP1 - Grade: 0 to +/-

2015: Price (pre-trade)/ JV (late-season)

2016: JV

I'm going to do this a bit differently. Price pre-trade deadline and JV post-trade deadline = one ace pitcher. So JV is replacing 1st half Price and 2nd half JV. I'm calling this basically neutral. Could be a bit better, could be a bit worse. But hoping JV will stay in this ballpark area.

Sp2 - Grade: ++

2015: 1st half JV (replacement crap)/ 2nd half replacement Price (crap).

If you look at it this way, we had crap replacement pitchers for an injured JV in the 1st half, and crap replacement pitchesrs for Price in the 2nd half. Who is replacing those starts? Zimmerman. HUGE ++.

Gotta hope 2016 Sanchez is better than 2015 Sanchez. If he can get back to 2010-14 Sanchez we're good. Not even Cy Young candidate Sanchez either, just better than last year. I think we get a slight plus on a Sanchez comeback...

SP4 - Grade: +

Greene and then his replacements were horrid last year, so this should be a plus. I'm almost tempted to put a double plus here, just not certain yet what we can expect out of Norris in his 2nd year.

SP5 - Grade: 0/+

In the end I don't think Pelfrey turns out much better than Simon. But I'll give the scouts the benefit of the doubt: neutral to maybe a slight plus.

2016 Starting pitching depth versus 2015 (+). This year it's Greene/ Fulmer/ Boyd/ Farmer/ etc. Last year it was Lobstein/ Farmer/ Ryan. I'm much more comfortable this year if we are going to a 6th starter (Anibel Sanchez/ Norris innings-limts).

Bullpen - Grade: +/++.

I'm going with both full bullpen, and depth here. I think we're better off in both cases. Instead of putting a definite ++ here, I'll just be conservative and say it'll be improved, somewhere between + and ++.

Bench - not consequential enough for me to grade.

Overall, I think there's very slight/ plus improvements at 1B and DH (health), SS, 3B and CF, and pretty much neutral elsewhere; and a decent plus on offense overall (10% more runs scored?). Defense should get a slight improvement overall as well, but is in the neutral to slight plus range.

A major improvement at #2 starter spot (Zimmermann over 1st-half-JV/ 2nd half-Price Black Hole), and slight improvements #3-5 starters. #1 spot (JV versus 1st half Price and 2nd half JV) is a bit of an unknown. But a big plus to double-plus improvement in Bullpen, bullpen depth, and #6 starter depth.

I hope that puts us at about 90-ish or so wins.

Edited by 84 Lives!!!

LF - Grade: - (hard to match Cespedes' 2015)

But remember, Ces was with us only part of the year, and he put up HUGE #'s with the Mets.

With us, it was 422 PA's with a .323 OBP and .506 SP = .829 OPS, or 2.9 O-War. He put up 0.8 D-War with us last year. And then it was Collins and Davis, forcing either Gose or Collins to face some LH'ers (both are atrocious against LH'ers).

This year, it's a full year of Upton, who put up 4.4 WAR last year. And I think he gets a jump on offense this year when he's put in front of Miggy.

That looks like a neutral to slight plus overall in LF this year.

You can't count Cespedes full year stats because he was with us only until the trade deadline.

1. Can't do, you didn't define r.

2. Y-intercept is independent of the slope so I can skip step 1 and proceed. It is 12.3.

3. Orientation is undefined, but will still proceed.

4. Slope is +/- 12.3/7, or +/- 7/12.3.

5. Done

6. Result is +/- 2.2 or +/- 0.7 units, whatever that translates to. Further research indicates it has something to do with zucchini.

But remember, Ces was with us only part of the year, and he put up HUGE #'s with the Mets.

With us, it was 422 PA's with a .323 OBP and .506 SP = .829 OPS, or 2.9 O-War. He put up 0.8 D-War with us last year. And then it was Collins and Davis, forcing either Gose or Collins to face some LH'ers (both are atrocious against LH'ers).

This year, it's a full year of Upton, who put up 4.4 WAR last year. And I think he gets a jump on offense this year when he's put in front of Miggy.

That looks like a neutral to slight plus overall in LF this year.

You can't count Cespedes full year stats because he was with us only until the trade deadline.

I considered that, but I'm not banking on Upton getting to a full 4 WAR. And I think the 2 months of Davis/Collins was > 0 WAR so it's >4 WAR for comparison.

Maybe it's a half minus, which is within the polling uncertainty and therefore basically the same thing.

Speaking of the big unit. I had a nice exchange with Eric Cioe over text yesterday.

The Tigers will win 90 games in 2016. 16 units gain.

I would like that. I have them at 88-89 so far, but I have not done a ton of home work on it yet and that is accounting for V-Mart not to finish the season, but counting on someone to pick up the slack (It will not be much IMO this year. Victor is going to have a rough year IMO)

Speaking of the big unit. I had a nice exchange with Eric Cioe over text yesterday.

Did he tell you all about his mustache?

1. Can't do, you didn't define r.

2. Y-intercept is independent of the slope so I can skip step 1 and proceed. It is 12.3.

That was a test... you passed.

3. Orientation is undefined, but will still proceed.

4. Slope is +/- 12.3/7, or +/- 7/12.3.

5. Done

6. Result is +/- 2.2 or +/- 0.7 units, whatever that translates to. Further research indicates it has something to do with zucchini.

Step 7, as you seem to have discovered is subtract the absolute value of the second number from the absolute value of the first, and then buy that number of average sized zucchinis. Weight the resulting zucchinis (partial zucchinis' included) in grams.

Step 8, divide by 40.

If you're first number in step 6 was larger than the second, then the final result is the expected additional wins this year. If the first number in step 6 was smaller than the second, the final result is the expected additional loses.

Very similar to Shelton just did SP differently

Catcher +

1B +

2B 0

3B +

SS -

LF +

CF +

RF 0

DH +

JV - vs price

Zimmermann+ vs JV

Sanchez +

Norris +

Pelfrey 0

Bullpen ++

bench +

Damn, the Tigers had 39 total games started by these pitchers last year:

Lobstein

Boyd

Wolf

Ryan

Farmer

The best era for any of them as a starter was 5.28 for Ryan. The others were all above 6.

We also had 81 starters innings from Shane Greene at an era of 6.72.

Damn, the Tigers had 39 total games started by these pitchers last year:

Lobstein

Boyd

Wolf

Ryan

Farmer

The best era for any of them as a starter was 5.28 for Ryan. The others were all above 6.

We also had 81 starters innings from Shane Greene at an era of 6.72.

So, it wasn't just the bullpen then?