Deleterious

2016 NBA trade deadline

You need to stop looking at the dollar amounts and concentrate on the % of the cap. You cant compare $27M to $15M when the cap goes up $20M+.

D12 is 30 and will get a max. It's just how it is.

Well, I have my doubts about that too.

D12 is not the player that he used to be, and any team giving him the Max would be pretty stupid IMO. That's not to say that there aren't stupid teams that are out there that would do that... But he's no longer a max-type player IMO. And I think teams are at least smart enough to recognize that and would NOT be making max offers D12.

Also, isn't he signed through next year? He's 31 next year which means he's 32 when he hits FA in 2017.

I'd actually view Horford as the better player than Howard, at this point. But still not a Max contract guy.

Could they guarantee Ily and still have enough to go after Horford?

I really don't think so. And it becomes risky to decline that option because if they don't get Horford they'd really be in a bind. They could pick it up, see what happens with Horford, then maybe try to trade Meeks for some cap relief.

Could they guarantee Ily and still have enough to go after Horford?

Yes, if they dump Meeks. I believe they can offer Horford a Max contract.

Or maybe it's Meeks and Anthony.

If they pick up Ersan's option and don't dump anyone else (Meeks and/ or Anthony), they can still go after Horford but I believe can offer only about $20M...

I think the KCP injury + Meeks basically being done for the season makes any Jennings trade much more unlikely. Unless of course they get good returns on KCP.

I wonder what Ish Smith will get this summer. I know me and Del would love him as our backup.

...I wonder what Ish Smith will get this summer. I know me and Del would love him as our backup.

I would wait on backup PG and backup frontcourt player until after the draft. If we got Melo Trimble or Demetrius Jackson... I'd be fine there until Dinwiddie and whoever we draft proves otherwise. If we need to add a veteran either at the trade deadline or before that, I think you can always find a Steve Blake-type floating around somewhere to get you by in the short term...

PS: I think he costs too much for us to want him as a backup. And by that, I mean he doesn't shoot well or defend well, and is as small as Jennings... So whatever contract he gets will be too much for what he brings to the table.

I think it's very unlikely we release Illy. He's gonna be a huge bargain next year.

I would also call it very unlikely. Especially since first choice in dumping salaries for any kind of sake would be Meeks and Anthony. I think they're the most exposed.

But I wouldn't put keeping Ersan at 100% either, just because you never know what might turn up in a deal, trade or Free Agency wise...

And, just for arguments sake... if SVG falls in love with Anderson, and signs him, should we:

A) Keep Ersan at $8M?

B) Not pick up his option and instead re-sign Tolliver to back up PF for $3M-ish?

C) Not pick up his option and instead try to obtain thru signing or trade a Defensive PF (like Biyombo, just for example) to back up Anderson?

D) Pick up Ersan's option, re-sign Tolliver, and trade Ersan and Tolliver for Serge Ibaka?

A) Keep Ersan at $8M?

B) Not pick up his option and instead re-sign Tolliver to back up PF for $3M-ish?

C) Not pick up his option and instead try to obtain thru signing or trade a Defensive PF (like Biyombo, just for example) to back up Anderson?

D) Pick up Ersan's option, re-sign Tolliver, and trade Ersan and Tolliver for Serge Ibaka?

E) None of this will matter because Stan "The Man" Johnson will blossom into a star in the NBA?

Am I dreaming or do I see signs of major improvement?

KCP expected back on 2/19 per SVG.

That's not too bad. It's not a long term issue and it also allows for a good look at Hilliard.

E) None of this will matter because Stan "The Man" Johnson will blossom into a star in the NBA? Am I dreaming or do I see signs of major improvement?

???

Stan "The Man" plays SF and SG, not PF. So your statement is not relevant.

SVG is going to target a PF free agent in the off-season. If he gets the starter that he wants there... let's call it Horford or Anderson, what other PF do we want on the roster? Horford (~$20M+, my guess) or Anderson (~$18M+, my guess) will make big money so should we: retain Ersan at ~$8M as a back up? Not pick up his option and back up PF with Tolliver (~$3M) or a defensive PF (such as Biyombo, at ~$8M???+)? Or pick up Ersan's option and trade him, if necessary or a good opportunity presents itself?

If the Pistons are trying to contend next season they'll need to get a backup PG. Dinwiddie and a draft pick won't get it done. Ish Smith, Sessions, Mo Williams all should be available and would be good options behind Reggie. Ish might get paid so Sessions or Williams could be cheap, short-term options. We've seen Jackson's inconsistencies and we'll need a quality backup.

If the Pistons are trying to contend next season they'll need to get a backup PG. Dinwiddie and a draft pick won't get it done. Ish Smith, Sessions, Mo Williams all should be a available and would be good options behind Reggie. Ish might get paid so Sessions or Williams could be cheap, short-term options. We've seen Jackson's inconsistencies and we'll need a quality backup.

I agree with this 100%. I think Ish will get paid, maybe even at low-tier starters money, and really isn't worth it due to his deficiencies... We'll see on that. I would be all for Sessions or Williams.

But it wouldn't bother me to go after a PG in the draft as well. Or maybe even the D-League.

Sporting News has an article on 6 D-League prospects: 6 D-League prospects who actually could help your NBA team | Sporting News

I actually like Will Cummings as it looks like he's extending his range & shoots pretty well (38% from 3, 53% from 2, and 78% FT), has decent size (6'2", if that's real) and grabs 2 steals a game. I know it's D-League, but this is a guy that I would want to seriously get onto the roster to take a look at him. He's 23 and still growing his game. His assist-turnover ration could improve... but I like him. I'd rather go after him than Ish Smith.

???

Stan "The Man" plays SF and SG, not PF. So your statement is not relevant.....if necessary or a good opportunity presents itself?

Sorry as I should have made it more clear to what I was trying to say.

Stan "The Man" is going to improve so much that it will not matter who plays along side him. I need to dream.

Sorry as I should have made it more clear to what I was trying to say.

Stan "The Man" is going to improve so much that it will not matter who plays along side him. I need to dream.

I like the thought that Stanley will be improving by leaps and bounds.

But no weak links. We need a starting PF that can play enough 3&D to help us go far in the playoffs. Or a combo of PF's (Anderson + Biyombo + Tolliver... just as an example... good or bad), that gets us the same thing. Ersan needs to be pushed to the bench, no matter how much improvement Stan the Man makes...

Just my 'pinion.

Probably should have posted this earlier.

This years pick is figured as the 15th pick. They are currently picking 17th.

0FeeiXX.png

So if you dumped all of the players with team options and cap holds + keep Drummond, the Pistons would be right about $57M committed.

If the cap goes up to $90M that could be $33M in cap space this summer.

$31.5M should be the most expensive max contract this year. So if they wanted to, they would have the room to go after one of those players. This is mostly academic since I don't think any of the free agents qualify for that big of a deal this summer.

OK, Dwight Howard will be eligible for that big of a deal.

For a max contract here is the amount you can pay someone the first year of the contract.

10+ years in the league = 35% of the cap.

7-9 years in the league = 30% of the cap.

>=6 years in the league = 25% of the cap.

The 25% guys can get bumped up to 30% if they meet certain criteria. Voted a starter in the AS game twice, make all nba twice(1st, 2nd, or 3rd team), or win MVP once and you are eligible for 30%.