Deleterious

2016 NBA trade deadline

Does Horford get the max though? Is he a max player at 30? Can he be gotten at around $20M per? More/ less?

I guess that'll be the great unknown until this summer...

Of course he will. Almost every team in the league will have cap space to use this year. That will seriously inflate the value of any players contract.

Any interest in Blake Griffin?

Not sure the Pistons have the ammo to get it done, but he appears to be on the block after his boxing match in Toronto.

Griffin would be an incredible get but any deal would involve Drummond and Stanley.... Probably KCP? 1sts? Much like Cousins, I don't think we should gut the organization for one star.

I would do Drummond and two firsts for Cousins right now. Wouldn't even hesitate.

But unlike most people, I don't view Drummond as a player you build a team around.

Of course he will. Almost every team in the league will have cap space to use this year. That will seriously inflate the value of any players contract.

I know salaries will be inflated. But it's more than just every team has cap space. He's still 30. And you have to have that much in cap space, unless you're Atlanta, to make that offer. Does Atlanta even offer him the Max at $27M to keep him? Does someone else actually offer Horford $27M?

It's not like Terrence Jones will be offered the Max because every team has cap space. There are reasons against that. So the same question lies with Horford, at his age and with a decline phase right around the corner, does someone actually offer Horford a max $27M contract? I don't think he'll be offered that by anyone, not even Atlanta.

But whether he signs for $16-18M, $20M, or $24M... I really don't know the answer to that. But I don't think he gets $27M.

In baseball you can project an estimated contract for a player, factoring in age, using WAR I believe (or WARP?). Is there something similar in basketball? I know the new cap is going to screw that up a bit though... But something that establishes baseline value for a player?

I would do Drummond and two firsts for Cousins right now. Wouldn't even hesitate.

But unlike most people, I don't view Drummond as a player you build a team around.

Me too but does Sacto? I would imagine either Stanley or KCP would have to be included.

I know salaries will be inflated. But it's more than just every team has cap space. He's still 30. And you have to have that much in cap space, unless you're Atlanta, to make that offer. Does Atlanta even offer him the Max at $27M to keep him? Does someone else actually offer Horford $27M?

It's not like Terrence Jones will be offered the Max because every team has cap space. There are reasons against that. So the same question lies with Horford, at his age and with a decline phase right around the corner, does someone actually offer Horford a max $27M contract? I don't think he'll be offered that by anyone, not even Atlanta.

But whether he signs for $16-18M, $20M, or $24M... I really don't know the answer to that. But I don't think he gets $27M.

In baseball you can project an estimated contract for a player, factoring in age, using WAR I believe (or WARP?). Is there something similar in basketball? I know the new cap is going to screw that up a bit though... But something that establishes baseline value for a player?

He will get a max contract.

Me too but does Sacto? I would imagine either Stanley or KCP would have to be included.

Probably not, especially with how good Cousins has been this year.

The time for this deal would have been last summer.

If I had to choose I think I would pick Griffin over Cousins.

I think the biggest problem though, would be that you'd have to tear the team apart to get either player.

I'd still rather keep our team, instead of stripping it, and bank on Drummond improving.

OK. So your certainty factor on this is 100%.

I have my doubts...

I agree with him. The cap is about to jump to 89-90 million and then 108-110 in 2017. That's going to inflate the salaries big time.

You already saw the inflation start this year with guys like Middleton, Knight, Kanter, Monroe, Jackson, Dragic, etc all getting at or near max deals.

So here's a potential breakdown of what we would be looking at with Horford

Horford- 27 million

Jackson- 14.9 million

Drummond- 8.1 million (cap hold)

Meeks- 6.5 million

Baynes- 6.5 million

Morris- 4.6 million

KCP- 3.6 million

Johnson- 2.9 million

Bullock- 2.3 million

Hillard/Dinwiddie- 1.7 million

1st round pick- 1.4 million

Dead $$$- 5.9 million

I imagine they renounce Jennings and Tolliver to give them cap room. Anthony has a team option for 2.5 million. They would need a backup PG.

Only issue is that Ilyasova's deal guarantees on 7/1.... So if they decline it and strike out on Horford then they're in a tough spot.

You already saw the inflation start this year with guys like Middleton, Knight, Kanter, Monroe, Jackson, Dragic, etc all getting at or near max deals.

The median age and salary of the guys you mentioned is ~25 years old and $15M/ year.

That still seems a pretty huge leap to Horford at 30 and $27M/ year.

Could they guarantee Ily and still have enough to go after Horford?

Can always dump Meeks and Anthony for nothing. Similar to how we got Morris.

The median age and salary of the guys you mentioned is ~25 years old and $15M/ year.

That still seems a pretty huge leap to Horford at 30 and $27M/ year.

You need to stop looking at the dollar amounts and concentrate on the % of the cap. You cant compare $27M to $15M when the cap goes up $20M+.

D12 is 30 and will get a max. It's just how it is.

...Only issue is that Ilyasova's deal guarantees on 7/1.... So if they decline it and strike out on Horford then they're in a tough spot.

If Ersan gets released, what does he end up signing for?

And can we re-sign him after releasing him?

I guess my opinion would be to rather go after the better player in Horford, even if we had to not pick up Ersan's option, and fill in as needed. If not Horford, then Anderson. If not those two, then re-sign Ersan.

But I think we'll actually be a destination team this year so the Free Agents will be interested in us. Even if everyone has $$$, we may have an advantage as an up-and-coming team with a good core group.