Deleterious

2016 NBA trade deadline

Assuming Donatas Motiejunas is good to go, it looks like the Detroit Pistons could have a really solid 2nd unit.

Sounds like he has had some back issues. If he is healthy, is he good enough to start at the 4 next year? SVG should have a ton of lineup/matchup options next season. Can pair DM with either Morris or Harris to spread the floor or go with DM off the bench if he wants a D-first unit. Unless DM is also okay defensively which would be even better.

Thornton could be back next year I gotta think. He's basically Meeks.

Hopefully a healthier Meeks.

Motiejunas with a 6.2 million dollar cap hold for the summer. We may be paying the luxury tax next season.

I was thinking Gores must really be okay with spending like Cuban. Giving up a 1st Rd pick means Motiejunas will almost certainly be extended, and then you just acquired Harris and have AD and KCP due up as well.

I wonder if this means no FA/further trades or if he's really going to go all out.

GOtta spend 90% of the cap anyways. We'll probably be over the cap by 5-10 mil next year now if I had to guess, but nothing drastic. No tax

Thornton could be back next year I gotta think. He's basically Meeks.

I'm thinking Thornton is just here to help us get into this year's playoffs, and won't be back next year. Just my guess.

My take: The trade was for Motiejunas for this year and the future, and Thornton for the playoff push for this year only.

GOtta spend 90% of the cap anyways. We'll probably be over the cap by 5-10 mil next year now if I had to guess, but nothing drastic. No tax

And we can always try to dump Meeks for a 2nd round pick as well... I'm not worried about Tax at this point, and could still see another move for a player if we needed to make one.

I'm thinking Thornton is just here to help us get into this year's playoffs, and won't be back next year. Just my guess.

My take: The trade was for Motiejunas for this year and the future, and Thornton for the playoff push for this year only.

This is the most logical analysis I've read so far. Donuts is pretty much a lock to be resigned; otherwise we will have traded a 1st round pick for 20+ games of rentals.

I'm thinking Thornton ...won't be back next year...

Let me rephrase that: Thornton is basically Meeks, but worse on D. And not quite as good a 3-pt shooter.

However, if Bower can dump Meeks somewhere, the Pistons might make a money decision and, after dumping Meeks, try to re-sign Thornton on a value contract. Certainly one much cheaper than what we're paying Meeks.

So... maybe Thornton sticks with us after all... if Meeks is moved (very redundant so I see no need to keep both beyond this season...).

Makes plenty of sense too

Let me rephrase that: Thornton is basically Meeks, but worse on D. And not quite as good a 3-pt shooter.

However, if Bower can dump Meeks somewhere, the Pistons might make a money decision and, after dumping Meeks, try to re-sign Thornton on a value contract. Certainly one much cheaper than what we're paying Meeks.

So... maybe Thornton sticks with us after all... if Meeks is moved (very redundant so I see no need to keep both beyond this season...).

I just can't let myself expect anything from Meeks at this point. I don't think anyone takes his deal either. Never know though.

I just can't let myself expect anything from Meeks at this point. I don't think anyone takes his deal either. Never know though.

Offseason.

When teams are looking to spend money after missing out on FA's. Or just to add a veteran for 1 year, for a 2nd round pick... Lakers?

You have to tip your cap to SVG. We'll basically be spectators this summer outside re-signing Drummond/D Mo and finding a backup PG. But avoiding the bidding wars when everyone will have $ is very smart.

I doubt it. I think the roster is shaping up

PG: Jackson, ?, Dinwiddie

SG: KCP, Meeks, Hillard

SF: Morris, Johnson, Bullock

PF: Harris, Motiejunas, ?

C: Drummond, Baynes, ?

I'd like to see Tolliver brought back on a cheap deal

I doubt it. I think the roster is shaping up

PG: Jackson, ?, Dinwiddie

SG: KCP, Meeks, Hillard

SF: Morris, Johnson, Bullock

PF: Harris, Motiejunas, ?

C: Drummond, Baynes, ?

I'd like to see Tolliver brought back on a cheap deal

Couple points...

I don't know if they can pull it off... but I'm going to guess SVG will try to dump Meeks in the offseason, and re-sign Thornton to a much cheaper contract. The key of course is finding a taker for Meeks.

I think the team makes a push to get Tolliver back on board. In fact, I'm just going to assume that they get that done/ that both sides want a reunion.

I think Motiejunas can function as the 3rd Center. SVG will spot his minutes there, if any, against the smaller Centers. That still says we need 1 more Big though.

If we only have a mid-2nd round pick, it'll be hard to fill either the last Big man spot or the backup PG spot with that kind of a pick/ player. And at least at the back end of the 1st/ start of the 2nd, there are a few pretty decent PG's falling into that area that we should try to take a chance on (meaning maneuver to get a pick in that area): Melo Trimble, Gary Payton II, Wade Baldwin, Monte Morris. Do teams still sell their late 1st round picks? I'd wanna buy one this year.

Or kill two birds with 1 stone by talking the Lakers into taking back Meeks and we swap 2nd rounders.

That adjusts your roster a bit to:

PG: Jackson, Dinwiddie, Draft Pick (Gary Payton II)

SG: KCP, Hilliard, Thornton

SF: Johnson, Morris, Bullock

PF: Harris, Motiejunas, Tolliver

C: Drummond, Baynes, ???

PS: I think Stanley is starting next year, and Morris/ Motiejunas are coming off the bench with Hilliard and Baynes, and whoever the backup PG is... I'd love that to be a defensive monster like Gary Payton, so I slotted him up there for now...

Full Article:

The Detroit Pistons have made 2 deadline trades and the rest of the NBA should be scared

In what has been a quiet buildup to the NBA trade deadline thus far, the Detroit Pistons have been the most active team, and, far away, the biggest winners of the week.

On Tuesday, the Pistons traded Brandon Jennings and Ersan Ilysova to the Orlando Magic for Tobias Harris.

Then on Thursday, the Pistons pulled off another trade, sending Joel Anthony and a protected 2016 first-round pick to the Rockets for Donatas Motiejunas and Marcus Thornton.

None of these are particularly riveting names on the surface, but that belies the significance of what Stan Van Gundy — coach and GM of the Pistons — is building in Detroit.

First, Ilyasova and Jennings are impending free agents. Jennings, coming off a torn Achilles in 2015, was likely a goner, hoping to find a starting role with another team, as he was slotted behind Reggie Jackson. Ilyasova, meanwhile, was a solid stretch-four for the Pistons, but has career averages of 11 points, six rebounds, and 36% shooting from three. Good numbers, but nothing that makes him untouchable.

The consensus is that the Pistons fleeced the Magic in getting Tobias Harris. Harris is a 23 year old who just inked a four-year, $64 million deal with the Magic in the offseason after he averaged 17 points and six rebounds on 46% shooting, 36% from three. His numbers have fallen slightly this year, but he could thrive in Detroit as a small forward or stretch-four, acting as another scorer and shooter with length on defense.

Thursday's trade with Houston is a bit more puzzling. Motiejunas is a 7-foot stretch-four who's missed almost the entire 2015-2016 season with a back injury. Yet last season, he was valuable for the Rockets, averaging 12 points and six rebounds a game on 50% shooting, 37% from three.

That the Rockets were willing to dump Motiejunas for so little should raise red flags about his health, but should he ever return to the court in full form, he would be a potentially dynamic fit next to Andre Drummond. And, at the very least, the Pistons got back another shooter in Marcus Thornton, a rotation-worthy guard who can carry the scoring load for small portions of time.

What Van Gundy has at his disposal is a long, versatile core of young players who mirror what he built around Dwight Howard in Orlando. The Pistons have a hulking monster in the middle in Drummond and can surround him with shooters at positions two through four, with an athletic playmaker in Reggie Jackson.

On defense, Drummond can deter opponents from attacking the basket, while on the perimeter, the surrounding players have the size and versatility to switch and recover on opponents.

Even better: Of this core of players, which also includes Marcus Morris and Jodie Meeks who are under contract until at least 2017, Meeks is the oldest at 28. The Pistons' young, intriguing core of Drummond, Jackson, Johnson, Harris, and Caldwell-Pope doesn't feature a player older than 25.

In a top-heavy Eastern Conference, with no true standouts besides the Cavaliers and Raptors, the Pistons have a chance to let a promising core blossom of young players who, on paper, fit seamlessly into something scary.

Very similar, but a bit more explanatory, article, especially on working the off-season signings/ extensions:

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/pistons-trade-for-motiejunas-as-svg-adds-another-brick-to-the-wall-190452717.html

Last paragraph my favorite: Ever since Van Gundy took the reins in the Motor City, he's been working to reform the Pistons in the image of his successful Magic squads — tough, physical, versatile, with shooting and playmaking on the wings, floor-spacers at the four, and a nasty 1-5 pick-and-roll combo to ram down opponents' throats. The early returns have been pretty promising, and if Motiejunas can get and stay healthy, and develop alongside Harris in the way SVG believes they can, Detroit could become a major, major problem in the East in the years to come.