RedRamage

The last Tigers *home grown* bullpen star?

With Rondon continuing to look questionable long term, I got to thinking: who was the last "star" bullpen guy the Tigers developed rather than trades for or get via free agency? I'm certainly not trying to imply that FA or trades are not legitimate methods to get players, just for the sake of this discussion I'm interested in guys we developed.

I won't say that the Tigers needed to have drafted the guy, but if we didn't draft him he should have played at least two seasons in our minor leagues to count as a guy we developed.

The only recent guy I can think of might be Zumaya, but calling him a "star" is questionable. He had his moments, but they were never sustained for a long time. And I think his moments were more about throwing really hard then necessarily being really good.

Looking back at other names that stand out...

Matt Anderson? He had even less success than Zumaya.

Todd Jones? Traded for him.

Willie Hernández? Traded for him.

With Rondon continuing to look questionable long term, I got to thinking: who was the last "star" bullpen guy the Tigers developed rather than trades for or get via free agency? I'm certainly not trying to imply that FA or trades are not legitimate methods to get players, just for the sake of this discussion I'm interested in guys we developed.

I won't say that the Tigers needed to have drafted the guy, but if we didn't draft him he should have played at least two seasons in our minor leagues to count as a guy we developed.

The only recent guy I can think of might be Zumaya, but calling him a "star" is questionable. He had his moments, but they were never sustained for a long time. And I think his moments were more about throwing really hard then necessarily being really good.

Do you want us to say Henneman?

Do you want us to say Henneman?

I'll admit my memory is really not that great, but but I only REALLY started following the Tigers closely in the late 90s, I mean other than the mid 80s when everyone in Michigan was a Tigers fan. So no, I'm not tying to get anyone to say any name.

It's a genuine question. Granted the definition of "star" is very much open for debate, but I'm having a hard time thinking of any bullpen stand outs who either had one or two GREAT years or had sustained success for a number of years AND came up through the Tigers organization.

Also, I'm not trying to make a larger point... I'm not trying to draw a conclusion that this is why the Tigers haven't won it all since '84 or why we've been better lately because we haven't drafted relievers or whatever. It's just a pondering I had and I'm looking for discussion/debate on the topic.

I think that Zumaya was a star for sure. I don't think you need longevity to be a star like one needs for the HOF. And Zoom at his peak was buckling knees with his curve too, not just throwing hard. He had a heavy fastball, as opposed to Matt Anderson or Bruce Rondon's fast, but straight fastball too.

Edited by Walt

I am having a hard time thinking of anyone. How long did Zumaya play great? Did he get injured in 07? His 06 was pretty solid IIRC. Was Rodney 'one of ours'? He was pretty good with us and continued to be pretty good after he left.

Zumaya was definitely a star. He was the talk of baseball in 2006, in the same way Puig, Trout, Harper were in their rookie seasons. Maybe not quite as much but he was a pretty big deal.

Also, it's really hard to be a "star" out of the bullpen, especially when you aren't a closer. I'd say it's extremely rare actually. I think Neifi and Chapman were both closers when they became bullpen stars.

I think that Zumaya was a star for sure. I don't think you need longevity to be a star like one needs for the HOF. And Zoom at his peak was buckling knees with his curve too, not just throwing hard. He had a heavy fastball, as opposed to Matt anderson or Bruce Rondon's fast, but straight fastball too.

Not sure if you were speaking literally when you said he had a straight fastball, but Zumaya had a lot of movement on his fastball.

fastest-pitchers-gif-joel-zumaya-2010-0522-99mph.gif

Edited by Yoda

I agree, Zumaya was a star even if it was brief. The most hilarious strikeout I've ever seen was him against Giambi, your grandmother could have pinch-hit for Giambi and not looked any worse. You don't get many LOL moments, sitting there watching a game on TV by yourself, but that was one for sure.

Other homegrown stars I'd say were Henneman, Lopez (definitely a star even with Hernandez on the same team), and Hiller. I was going to say Terry Fox who was certainly a star, but then I checked and found that he was acquired from the Braves..

Not sure if you were speaking literally when you said he had a straight fastball, but Zumaya had a lot of movement on his fastball.

fastest-pitchers-gif-joel-zumaya-2010-0522-99mph.gif

I was saying that he didn't have a straight fastball like Rondon's or Anderson's.

Edit: When a FB is described as heavy, it is usually describing the spin on the pitch.

Gotcha

It probably could have been wordsmithed better, but I am a technical guy. ;^)

Zumaya was definitely a star. He was the talk of baseball in 2006, in the same way Puig, Trout, Harper were in their rookie seasons. Maybe not quite as much but he was a pretty big deal.

I wouldn't say he was the talk of baseball, but he was a one-year star.

Here's Tigers relievers win probability added back to 1974.

Detroit Tigers Leaderboards » 2015 » Relievers » Win Probability Statistics | FanGraphs Baseball

Even though he was only a reliever for a year, I will answer Drew Smyly.

Could someone Breifly and Simply explain Clutch, if it lends itself to such an explanation? I'm curious about Senor Smoke having such a high stat compared to everyone else.

Could someone Breifly and Simply explain Clutch, if it lends itself to such an explanation? I'm curious about Senor Smoke having such a high stat compared to everyone else.

It measures how a player performed in high leverage situations relative to how he would have performed if all situations were the same. So, if a pitcher is a 3.00 FIP pitcher overall, but is 2.50 in clutch situations he'll look good on the statistic. If another pitcher with a 2.50 FIP overall is 2.50 in clutch situations, he'll be neutral on this statistic.

Other homegrown stars I'd say were Henneman, Lopez (definitely a star even with Hernandez on the same team), and Hiller. I was going to say Terry Fox who was certainly a star, but then I checked and found that he was acquired from the Braves..

Senor Smoke briefly played for STL & KC before starring in Detroit.

Senor Smoke briefly played for STL & KC before starring in Detroit.

Curses, foiled again.

By the way, that's not a 100 mph fastball. I played this game, and I know a 100 mph fastball when I see it. That might be 98 or 99, but it's not 100 [/morgan].

As a rookie, Zumaya had a 1.94 ERA and a 3.34 FIP in 83 innings. That's a hell of a workload for a young kid and he really sparkled. if the Tigers hadn't overused him in his rookie year we probably would be talking about him falling off in 08 or 09 rather than getting injured the very next year.

IF... we are allowed to choose homegrown talent that became a bullpen star elsewhere, I feel as if the answer is obvious.

CHARLIE "CHUCK" FURBUSH!!!

This guy is one of the best LOOGYs out there right, and if you have no idea what he's been doing in Seattle I suggest looking up the stats from the past few years...

Francisco Cordero wound up with 329 career saves. But Randy Smith kept Anderson and included Cordero in the Juan Gone deal.

I'm not sure the innings pitched his first season doomed Zoom. He just threw the ball faster than a human arm can endure, although Joe Morgan might challenge how fast that was.

Not sure how to define a bullpen star, but I would include Fernando Rodney in the discussion for sure. We signed him as a kid. He developed in our system and was pretty good when he left, signing a multi year free agent deal.

IF... we are allowed to choose homegrown talent that became a bullpen star elsewhere, I feel as if the answer is obvious.

This guy is one of the best LOOGYs out there right, and if you have no idea what he's been doing in Seattle I suggest looking up the stats from the past few years...

You could also add Andrew Miller to that list, of course most of his development was with other organizations.

Also aside from CF with a Granderson and SP with Verlander, you could have this same thread with every other position.

Wow! I did look him up.

Except for being injured last year, he's been stellar for three straight seasons.

I didn't look into his splits but I'll assume he's facing mostly lefties so a little to assist to the staff on using him properly too.

I'll second the vote for furbush in the category of developed then traded