Motor City Sonics

Would you trade several players for Stamkos?

The rumor has been flying about regarding the Red Wings traded for Steven Stamkos.

I have heard.....

Steven Stamkos & Johnathan Drouin

Gustav Nyquist

Riley Sheahan

Alexey Marchenko

Anthony Mantha

First Rd. Pick 2016

First Rd. Pick 2017

Would you do that? It seems a bit steep, but is it?

The Wings are a good team - but not a Stanley Cup team right now. One of the dilemmas the Wings seem to have is a glut of too many players right now- and it seems every time they try to make a move they have to put someone on waivers. This would be part of a solution. I think the Wings need a super scorer and need to relieve the logjam. Plus I think Datsyuk might be done for good after next season. With Larkin coming on as strongly as he has it would make the loss of Nyquist and Mantha easier to swallow and with the talent waiting at GR, I think losing the draft picks wouldn't hurt that much right now either. They used to trade their picks all the time and not get hurt by it. I like Marchenko, but I would have expected him to be better by this point. I am very interested to see Nick Jensen this week. Great skater -- and the Wings do have a solid amount of defensive talent in GR too. At first I was thinking I wouldn't do that trade, but now I would - it solves a few problems and sets up very well for the future. It would help if the Wings could move Jimmy Howard. Jimmy is fine as a backup, but he gets paid like a starter and that's a big problem for the team as a whole right now.

I presume that a trade means he has agreed in principle to a long term deal?

Because absent that I wouldn't even consider a trade.

That was in the proposal included in the article that I read.

Are there other moves not mentioned that they would need to make to swing the numbers necessary to sign Stamkos long term in the hypothetical?

Nyquist makes 4.7m against the cap, so that brings the cap space up to 7. Sheahan makes close to 1m, so we're around 8. The Wings could fit him in this year.

Technically we are talking about a rental and a minor-leaguer.

I'd keep Drouin out of it, just complicates matters. But Drouin is probably worth Mantha and Marchenko so if you can't take them out of a Stamkos deal then sure, throw in Drouin.

As others have mentioned Stamkos would need to be a sign and trade. If the salary is $10mm or so I'd make the trade proposed in a heartbeat. A bit concerned about Stamkos' leg injury last year but a risk worth taking.

Doesn't address defense though. As for your point about Matchenko, he has exceeded my expectations. It is Sproul and Oullett who have failed to break through, IMO. Maybe try to trade one of them instead of Marchenko.

Edited by lordstanley

Definitely would need him signed to a deal. If they wanted a package built around Nyquist and Marchenko, then I would be all in.

I can't see Yzerman trading Stamkos or Drouin in his own division even if the Wings offered the best package. The NHL is dumb like that.

Nyquist makes 4.7m against the cap, so that brings the cap space up to 7. Sheahan makes close to 1m, so we're around 8. The Wings could fit him in this year.

I wasn't clear, but I was referring to future seasons presuming a contract was in place.

Lets make it easier. Here is the original prediction.

The Lightning will re-sign Stamkos — then trade him

Steven Stamkos will sign an eight-year contract extension with the Tampa Bay Lightning matching dollar-for-dollar the $84 million deals signed by Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews…then immediately be traded to the Detroit Red Wings along with Jonathan Drouin just before the trade deadline.

Faced with the prospect of losing him for nothing, Lightning GM Steve Yzerman will orchestrate a “sign-and-trade” deal for Stamkos with the Red Wings that will allow Stamkos to go to the team of his choice and get an eight-year deal, getting around the seven-year deal he would have had to sign with Detroit if he were to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer. The price for Stamkos and Drouin will be steep – sniper Gustav Nyquist, a pair of 24-year-old pending restricted free agents in Riley Sheahan and Alexey Marchenko, along with top prospect Anthony Mantha and the Red Wings first-round pick in 2016 and 2017. Stamkos will immediately go back to his center position, moving the aging Pavel Datsyuk down to a checking role more suited to him on the third line. (Ken Campbell)

THN.com Roundtable: Four bold predictions for 2016 | The Hockey News

Hadn't heard this, and research says it's a bit of an old rumor, but it'd be a great trade for the Red Wings. 3 solid players but not stars and a prospect for a legit goal scorer (who is only 25(!)) and a guy in Drouin who I am assuming has lots of talent still.

I think offense is the biggest problem on this team, this would be a great help.

Could the Red Wings clear enough space to sign Stamkos as a FA next season without a trade?

Ya it's all hypothetical on THN's part, not a rumor.

CapFriendly.com - Detroit Red Wings Salary Cap

They have 13.5 ish in cap space next season with all their UFA and RFA unsigned and that's with Nyquist's cap hit.

Also want to lol at moving Datsyuk to a checking role. Ya he's lost a step or two but he is not a checking line center even at this stage of his career.