Motor City Sonics

Windows 10 - Should I bother?

Nothing has been posted there since early October.

So, Windows 10 people: six months on ...

How do you like Windows 10?

What are the things you love about it?

What are the things you hate, or at least you would change?

What are the things you miss about Windows 7 that you wish you could have back?

What are the "gotchas" that upgraders need to look out for? I have heard that there are (surprise, surprise) privacy issues with it.

Nothing has been posted there since early October.

So, Windows 10 people: six months on ...

How do you like Windows 10?

What are the things you love about it?

What are the things you hate, or at least you would change?

What are the things you miss about Windows 7 that you wish you could have back?

What are the "gotchas" that upgraders need to look out for? I have heard that there are (surprise, surprise) privacy issues with it.

funny thing is much like Vista after SP2 was actually the same OS as Win7, Win8.1 with Classic Shell to bring back the start menu is a better OS than Win7, but much like with Vista -MS doesn't want to fight the battle with it's customers established notions that Win8 was a failure - thus Win10. Plus is it an opportunity to move the customer base more to a web based subscription model - which is MS's view of where the future is going - or at least where they would like it go. The biggest complaint is that it records *everything* you do and sends it to MS. Now it's not that I mistrust MS's contention that this is for product improvement purposes, but it means by voice recordings and everything else are no more secure than MS. That I'm not so sanguine about. They have made it very difficult to opt out of all this stuff. Not only do you have to hunt down all the switches to turn off, but several of the updates turn on additional 'customer experience' reporting features. In W8 and W7 you could either decline to install or remove those updates, in Win10 they have taken away control over updating.

I have two Win8.1 virtual machine installs that I use regularly and I have zero interest in upgrading either. Especially for a VM that is shutdown much of the time and not communicating with the MS mothership - a more web centric OS doesn't make a lot of sense.

I installed 10 on a machine and played with it a bit - but some of what they have added makes it more difficult for me to use. For instance, they *really* want you to use an MS account login in - and to make that easier you can log in with a PIN. But my machines have to talk to may Linux server so I want the logins to be their Linux user ID's. If I the set the Win10 machine for local login to get that - I lose access to the App store any app that needs MS account access to run (yes I already found one like that).

I hate that it updates without telling you. The computer starts acting sluggish and stupid and then when you go to restart, you see the "Updates have been installed" thingy.

OK, you want to force everybody to get updates....fine. Just let us know when you are about to do it.

I hate that it updates without telling you. The computer starts acting sluggish and stupid and then when you go to restart, you see the "Updates have been installed" thingy.

OK, you want to force everybody to get updates....fine. Just let us know when you are about to do it.

I don't really care enough to look at see if it is a change-able setting, but I really dislike that it tells you when it is going to update and restart, and then you can either say update now, or accept that time. I can't say remind me again tomorrow. The last time it chose was under 2 hours from when it informed me as the update time. Being given the option to either update now, or in 2 hours as the only options was really annoying. Especially if you were planning on meeting friends online for a video game run.

I don't really care enough to look at see if it is a change-able setting,...

Only volume licenses are allowed to opt out of auto-updating. There is a setting to let you delay updates for a couple of months, but at that point it will start auto-updating on it's own schedule again, you will just be two months behind so that trick only has short term value.

I tried it and didn't like it. I tried to reverse it and blew up my computer. I needed to get a new hard drive.

In a nutshell:

If you're running pre-Windows 7: UPGRADE

If you're running post-Windows 7: UPGRADE

If you're running Windows 7:

...and plan to use this computer for at least the next 3 years: UPGRADE

...and you figure you'll buy a new computer within the next couple of years, then it's fine to stay on Win7.

The TL;DR version:

Anything older than WindowsXP is ancient in terms of computers. Even XP is getting old and isn't officially supported anymore. Windows Vista is probably still young enough to keep using it, but Windows 10 is a nice upgrade over Vista in my humble opinion.

Windows 8 is an abomination. For 15+ years Microsoft has said: Everything starts with the START button. Then 8 comes and... whoops... no start button! And that's just the start. Lots of stuff (like control panel items) aren't where they are supposed to be. Then there's programs that try to always run full screen. Why eliminate the great aspect of running programs in windows... ya know the things you named your OS after?!? Windows 10 still has some of the problems of Win8, but they undid enough that it feels like normal windows now. There's still some more growing pains between Win7 and Win10 than I experienced upgrading from XP or Vista, but LOTS fewer issues when when I move from Win7 to Win8.

Windows 7 is a good solid OS that will serve you well. BUT... it's also starting to age. You'll be fine running it for the next few years, but if you plan to hold on to this computer, it's probably worth upgrading to ensure you get Win10 when it's free as well as ensuring that you're running a more current OS that is supported fully.

But if you for see swapping your current computer for a new one in 1-2 years... just stick with 7 for now. It'll still run well for a few more years and you won't have to worry about any issues with learning the new OS until you get the new computer.

Just my opinion of course.

In a nutshell:

If you're running pre-Windows 7: UPGRADE

If you're running post-Windows 7: UPGRADE

If you're running Windows 7:

...and plan to use this computer for at least the next 3 years: UPGRADE

...and you figure you'll buy a new computer within the next couple of years, then it's fine to stay on Win7.

The TL;DR version:

Anything older than WindowsXP is ancient in terms of computers. Even XP is getting old and isn't officially supported anymore. Windows Vista is probably still young enough to keep using it, but Windows 10 is a nice upgrade over Vista in my humble opinion.

Windows 8 is an abomination. For 15+ years Microsoft has said: Everything starts with the START button. Then 8 comes and... whoops... no start button! And that's just the start. Lots of stuff (like control panel items) aren't where they are supposed to be. Then there's programs that try to always run full screen. Why eliminate the great aspect of running programs in windows... ya know the things you named your OS after?!? Windows 10 still has some of the problems of Win8, but they undid enough that it feels like normal windows now. There's still some more growing pains between Win7 and Win10 than I experienced upgrading from XP or Vista, but LOTS fewer issues when when I move from Win7 to Win8.

Windows 7 is a good solid OS that will serve you well. BUT... it's also starting to age. You'll be fine running it for the next few years, but if you plan to hold on to this computer, it's probably worth upgrading to ensure you get Win10 when it's free as well as ensuring that you're running a more current OS that is supported fully.

But if you for see swapping your current computer for a new one in 1-2 years... just stick with 7 for now. It'll still run well for a few more years and you won't have to worry about any issues with learning the new OS until you get the new computer.

Just my opinion of course.

8 does have some goofy stuff in the interface, but that is largely correctable with 3rd party SW - but the architecture in 8 has been improved over any version of 7. Depends on what is important to you I guess. If I had a touch screen I would run 8.1 or 10. One other improvement with 10 is that the Metro apps stay inside a window instead of stealing the whole screen. This can be a real pain in 8 on desktop where you can't just swipe it away, but then again, I don't use a single metro app in 8 so I've learned not to care about that (:wink:)

However, another thing with 10 is that MS is back to not playing well with other OSs. One of the weird things it does that MS can ONLY have put there to make interoperability more difficult is that when you install 10, it makes the EFI partition the 2nd partition on the disk instead of the 1st - which is the only rational place to put it. This can mess up the ability of other OSs to take advantage of the intended ability of UEFI bios to allow dual booting. Ballmer's ghost still haunts those halls at Redmond.

See, here is my feeling. I have no real issues with 8. I don't much like the tablet-style setup, but that's just being old and unchangy on my part (unchangy ain't a word?, well irregardless of that....). I use lots of keyboard shortcuts on most of my programs because face it, you always do the same five or six things in any given program. I just don't really want to start all that over. I was just wondering if Microsoft would suddenly pop up one day and say "You didn't upgrade to 10 when we offered it, and now your 8 will no longer work..........Please fly to Seattle, kiss Bill Gates' feet, beg for forgiveness and give $200 and you can have your computer back".

Windows 10 was forced upon me, even though I repeatedly resisted.  It basically highjacked my computer and suddenly, that very day, dozens of viruses somehow mysteriously showed up on my machine.  I had to pay a lot of money to get that fixed and now everything I try to do involves me starting from scratch.   I absolutely hate this and I think it's criminal that they forced it on me.   They should have no right to take over a computer like that and they shouldn't have to make you jump through hoops to stop them.   

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Windows 10 was forced upon me, even though I repeatedly resisted.  It basically highjacked my computer and suddenly, that very day, dozens of viruses somehow mysteriously showed up on my machine.  I had to pay a lot of money to get that fixed and now everything I try to do involves me starting from scratch.   I absolutely hate this and I think it's criminal that they forced it on me.   They should have no right to take over a computer like that and they shouldn't have to make you jump through hoops to stop them.   

The Microsoft nag system to get you to install 10 should be classified as malware. You basically have to inspect every upgrade package that the updater tries to install on 7 or 8 and keep rejecting it repeatedly. And unlike a normal upgrade package which will not appear again once you 'hide' it, the Win10 upgrader just keeps coming back with each set of upgrades. I would put myself probably in the 10% of most PC OS facile people and I still find MS tests my vigilance to keep 10 and its nag bots off the systems I don't want it on and to keep all the personal data collections systems turned off.

Perversely enough, I have no real complaints about 10 as an OS, it really is more a matter the consumer choice/control  principle to me now.

11 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't have a lot of money, but there is no way in **** I am ever getting another windows product after this.   

Linux is FREE.

9_9

Last weekend a friend's computer auto-upgraded to 10 and somehow during the process it appears to have 'lost' nearly 500 GB of saved job related data he had on the machine. He was able to recover it all after a few hours of research and work, but for awhile there I'm sure he was entertaining thoughts of booking a flight to Seattle.

Now I'm getting frightened.  I have somehow been able to turn off the Win10 nag and keep the update from hijacking my machines.  But reading this, it's starting to look like my days are numbered.  I'm so mad that this is looming, I am starting to seriously contemplating going to Mac.

19 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

You need to stay away from those streaming sites.

8 minutes ago, screwball said:

yup - this is just what I was referring to upthread. And like I said, you can see it and refuse to install it, but it will come right back the next time you run 'update'. It won't stay hidden once you hide it like every other update you decline.