Casimir

To DH or not to DH?

What to do with the DH?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What to do with the DH?

• Use the DH in both leagues.
    • No DH in either league.
    • Keep as is.

Have a DH as long as the starting pitcher stays in the game. When you change pitchers the reliever takes the DH's spot in the lineup.

I like that.

I like that.

I don't...my starter gets rocked for Six runs in an inning and a third...I want to yank him but if I do I'll either destroy my bullpen by PH for a RP in the middle of the order or I can concede defeat by letting a RP strike out in the middle of my order

I don't...my starter gets rocked for Six runs in an inning and a third...I want to yank him but if I do I'll either destroy my bullpen by PH for a RP in the middle of the order or I can concede defeat by letting a RP strike out in the middle of my order

That's why I like it. It forces managers to make difficult decisions.

We could accomplish the same thing with trapdoors and exploding bases....Screwing around with the simplest response to the widely held view that no one wants to see a pitcher hit isn't something I can get behind.

We could accomplish the same thing with trapdoors and exploding bases....Screwing around with the simplest response to the widely held view that no one wants to see a pitcher hit isn't something I can get behind.

It's not the simplest response. The simplest response would have been to have eight batters bat and no DH. Also, it's not a widely held view that nobody wants to see the pitcher bat. The majority of National League fans are in favor of keeping things as they are.

It's not the simplest response. The simplest response would have been to have eight batters bat and no DH. Also, it's not a widely held view that nobody wants to see the pitcher bat. The majority of National League fans are in favor of keeping things as they are.

& a few American League fans too! I like that there's something for both schools of thought. I don't find it absurd at all.

It's absurd that the two leagues – which have now been playing regular season interleague games for the better part of two decades – still play by different rules. It would be like if the NFC had two-point conversions but the AFC didn't. Or if the Western Conference added a 4-point shot but the Eastern Conference didn't.

This is a popular argument. Why is it absurd? Is it because of the interleague games? Because I'd be way more in favor of doing away with interleague games than adding the DH to the NL. I think interleague play is what's absurd.

I always look at the MLB as ONE league. A bunch of teams playing the same sport just like football or basketball etc. Different 'conferences', but all the same. Having the different rules for each league always felt super weird to me. I was never a shout it from the roof tops guy opposed to it, but it always felt weird how we have teams playing by different rules.

Getting rid of inter-league play would suck IMO...that is not expanding the game it is cutting it back. Play the same rules and a balanced schedule. I would not be upset if they did got rid of inter-league play, but that does not expand the game at all...it is keeping it back. I would love to see the game expanded even further. I love the game as it is, but I would not be upset if they started integrating another league from other countries...make the 'world series' truly a world series. Keep expanding until there are 200 teams...it would just be more baseball to watch. You do this only if the competition is on par with the biggs though. I do not want to watch a 35-0 game.

This is a popular argument. Why is it absurd? Is it because of the interleague games? Because I'd be way more in favor of doing away with interleague games than adding the DH to the NL. I think interleague play is what's absurd.

The World Series is interleague play.

Back when the NL and AL were more of a separate entity, each with it's own President and disciplinary process, etc. it made sense. Not sure how separate they really wer behind the scenes but they gave the perception that they were distinct. Now the whole "League" thing is no different than a conference in another sport.

How is we play nine and bat eight simpler? That's arguably a bigger bastardization of the game than letting a professional stick hit for the professional arm. The majority of the south wanted to keep slavery...should they have picked too? I'm not willing to call for the use of violence to bring those NL rebels in line...but if I have to watch JV try to hit a pitch a few more times this year, I'll be tempted to take up arms.

A civil war and baseball? Good luck keeping Ken Burns from making a documentary about this...

How is we play nine and bat eight simpler? That's arguably a bigger bastardization of the game than letting a professional stick hit for the professional arm. The majority of the south wanted to keep slavery...should they have picked too? I'm not willing to call for the use of violence to bring those NL rebels in line...but if I have to watch JV try to hit a pitch a few more times this year, I'll be tempted to take up arms.

A civil war and baseball? Good luck keeping Ken Burns from making a documentary about this...

It is simpler because it isn't difficult to write a line-up for 8 players. I mean, there is nothing hard about it.

As to whether it is a bigger bastardization, well, I guess I say meh.

How is we play nine and bat eight simpler? That's arguably a bigger bastardization of the game than letting a professional stick hit for the professional arm. .

Whether it's simpler is up to your own interpretation. I just don't think that pitchers batting is obviously bad or that having a designated hitter is the obvious solution it is made out to be. Most NL pitchers are not as bad at hitting as Verlander. Verlander is bad because he doesn't bat very often and probably doesn't work on it much. They should have thought about this before introducing inter-league play.

Personally, I like seeing a pitcher at the plate when my team is pitching and don't like it when my team is at the plate. Sometimes, I wonder whether AL fans have a true dislike for watching pitchers bat or whether it is just a response to pompous NL fans saying pitchers batting is real baseball.

Edited by tiger337

I think having inter-league play throughout the season took away some of the mystique of the World Series. Same with the all-star game.

Whether it's simpler is up to your own interpretation. I just don't think that pitchers batting is obviously bad or that having a designated hitter is the obvious solution it is made out to be. Most NL pitchers are not as bad at hitting as Verlander. Verlander is bad because he doesn't bat very often and probably doesn't work on it much. They should have thought about this before introducing inter-league play.

Personally, I like seeing a pitcher at the plate when my team is pitching and don't like it when my team is at the plate. Sometimes, I wonder whether AL fans have a true dislike for watching pitchers bat or whether it is just a response to pompous NL fans saying pitchers batting is real baseball.

I can see there's no reasoning with you...when the shooting starts, I'll meet you at Antietam

I honestly don't have a strong opinion pro or anti DH. I'm mostly amused at how indignant both sides get about their league doing it the right way. I argue against it here because it's an AL forum and most AL fans like the DH.

I think having inter-league play throughout the season took away some of the mystique of the World Series. Same with the all-star game.

Definitely true with the All-Star game. Well, that and the Home Run Derby, which has arguably become more popular than the Game itself.

Also the lure of the ASG for me was simply seeing the guys together. Watching a game with Mike Schmidt was cool. Interleague play combined with greater player movement has negated the mystique equally in my opinion.

It's still the best All-Star Game out there, by a country mile, but the bar is pretty low, too.

This means I should want interleague play in the regular season or else I'm a hypocrite, right?

I honestly don't have a strong opinion pro or anti DH. I'm mostly amused at how indignant both sides get about their league doing it the right way. I argue against it here because it's an AL forum and most AL fans like the DH.

The advocates for bringing the DH to the NL have become as smugly self-righteous as the anti-DH crowd has ever been.

Let's end this debate right now. DH in both leagues. Starting this season.

Thank you.

Now lock this mother****ing thread.

This means I should want interleague play in the regular season or else I'm a hypocrite, right?

No, I was trying to say that if interleague play is worse than bringing the DH to the NL, then I think it argues there should be one set of rules (all DH or no DH) for the World Series rather than how it is currently done.