Casimir

To DH or not to DH?

What to do with the DH?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What to do with the DH?

• Use the DH in both leagues.
    • No DH in either league.
    • Keep as is.

Leave it as is. I don't see the need for both leagues to be consistent, and fans of NL seem to prefer to have their pitchers hitting. Maybe do a fan ballot at NL parks to gauge actual support for and against bringing the DH to the NL.

Completely agree. I like the fact that there's a difference in the leagues. They've done so much to make the leagues the same already. If they get rid of the DH, they may as well get rid of NL/AL & just lump them all into 1.

Real baseball. Let the pitchers hit !!

If you fail to get at least a tingle up your leg when Willis or Zambrano smack a home run, then you are less than human.

;-)

Why should pitchers be made to do all three big things while everybody else only have to do two?

If you fail to get at least a tingle up your leg when Willis or Zambrano smack a home run, then you are less than human.

;-)

Real baseball. Except those wussies wear gloves.

;-)

of course, back n the 60's before the DH in the AL we were in the mist of the pitchers era, and it was common for middle IFs to hit 200 or even less, so if you pitcherr managed a 125 BA it was hardly that much contrast to have him batting after Roy Oyler. :laugh:

Edited by Gehringer_2

;-)

What are we supposed to feel when Norris bats?

Why should pitchers be made to do all three big things while everybody else only have to do two?

Why should the DH only do one thing?

Yeah, it's not perfect, but the perfect should not be the enemy of the better, should it?

Having one guy doing three jobs versus eight doing two is less effective than having nine guys do two jobs and a tenth doing one, particularly when the third job of the one guy is performed so poorly that everyone ceases to care whether he can do that job at all. Just about every serious league above high school all over the world figured out decades ago it makes no sense to expect pitchers to contribute by hitting, and that the game is stronger if every single at bat is fairly contested, instead of giving up on three or four at bats a game. Only in two leagues in the entire world is this reality still denied. Looks like one of them is likely to fall.

I can understand the sentiment for DH all over or not at all. I guess I don't understand being in favor of different rules for the different leagues. It seems to me like the NBA allowing one conference to have the 3 pointer as is, but no arc in the other conference. Or one conference in the NFL reverts back to the old PAT rules of one point conversions only while the other conference can go for two.

Because the guys that hit should be professional level hitters, the guys that field should be professional level fielders and the guys that pitch should be professional level pitchers, IMO. Pitchers are not professional level hitters and that lowers the quality of the game IMO.

To me it should be either DH or 8 man lineups

Yeah, it's not perfect, but the perfect should not be the enemy of the better, should it?

My argument is that when you have two bad options, you look for a better option which is why I am posing alternatives.

My argument is that when you have two bad options, you look for a better option which is why I am posing alternatives.

Your alternative of 8-man lineups has about as much of a chance of happening as my alternative of Justin Upton leading off. :grin::laugh:

In all seriousness, I don't think the designated hitter is a bad option at all. I think it's a very good option, and as Nastradamus says, it increases the quality of the game versus pitchers hitting. It also maintains the symmetry of the game that's based on threes and nines that we fans have embraced for 150 years.

The National and Central Leagues can do what they want, of course, but me, I'm all in on the DH as is.

Your alternative of 8-man lineups has about as much of a chance of happening as my alternative of Justin Upton leading off. :grin::laugh:

In all seriousness, I don't think the designated hitter is a bad option at all. I think it's a very good option, and as Nastradamus says, it increases the quality of the game versus pitchers hitting. It also maintains the symmetry of the game that's based on threes and nines that we fans have embraced for 150 years.

The National and Central Leagues can do what they want, of course, but me, I'm all in on the DH as is.

None of the options I have presented have any chance of happening, but I think the DH versus non-DH argument is old and stale. Thus, I'm proposing different things which might be preferable to either DH or no DH. I am not necessarily in favor of pitchers batting as their are some good arguments against it. However, I personally dislike the DH rule as is and I think there are things that can be done to make it better.

What are we supposed to feel when Norris bats?
Assuming that he can't hit a Volkswagon with a fly swatter, why you feel pity, of course !! david versus Goliath !! Pee Wee Herman versus, um, himself !! When a poor hitting pitcher flails away, it's a reminder of how damned hard it really is, to hit MLB quality pitching. You get to learn how Neifi Perez felt.

Keep the DH, but each of the 9 hitters has to be the DH in one inning per game. The player that would typically be the DH now has to be a super sub type player that needs to play each of the 8 fielding positions one inning per game. It'd be hard for the typical fan to follow along with, but could make for some interesting strategies about when to use the super sub at each position throughout the game.

All of a sudden, Don Kelly is a hot commodity on the free agent market!

Edited by monkeytargets37

One year CBS had a 3-3 basketball tournament that ran concurrently with the NBA season. Each team had a current player, an retired player and a celebrity. The celebrity had to touch the ball each possession or it was a turn over. It...was....glorious....

DH in both leagues...the double switch isn't really that amazing of a strategic move. I think we'll survive without it

I think the DH does more to take away pre-game strategy than in-game strategy. If the pitcher is batting, you have to think about whether your good hit no glove player is going to play in the game or be used as a pinch hitter. I don't really mind seeing pitchers bat. Sometimes, it's pretty bad, but if the pitcher tries to ease up with the opposing pitcher at the plate, he might get burned. It's always fun when a pitcher gets a hit. Plus, some pitchers are decent hitters, so a team that has a couple of pretty good ones can use that to their advantage.

I don't find NL ball as entertaining as AL. I want to see hitters hit.

Just get it over with and put the DH in both leagues already.

No one wants to see a pitcher come up with men on base and two outs. NO ONE. No one wants to take a stud starting pitcher out in the 6th inning when he's at 75 pitches because he's losing 1-0 and there are runners on second and third with his spot due up. The NL apologists who cry that the game will never be the same if their beloved pitchers no longer hit probably deserve whatever fate befalls them. It's absurd that the two leagues – which have now been playing regular season interleague games for the better part of two decades – still play by different rules. It would be like if the NFC had two-point conversions but the AFC didn't. Or if the Western Conference added a 4-point shot but the Eastern Conference didn't.

Bring the DH to the NL. It's way overdue.

I find NL ball is less entertaining because the Tigers are not in the NL!

I don't enjoy Tigers games for the most part. Unless they are killing the other team. I am too tense to be happy.

They are a necessary evil.

Have a DH as long as the starting pitcher stays in the game. When you change pitchers the reliever takes the DH's spot in the lineup.

To drive up ticket sales, have a random fan bat in the DH spot.

That would be worth watching.