Yoda

Tigers sign Justin Upton

My guess is that since mlb.tv costs upwards of 100 bucks per season, there is a certain idea that it doesn't need to be or shouldn't be ad supported.

It seems like it would be easy for them to insert a streaming ad like what you see on Hulu or YouTube.

I don't think it makes sense to play the ads from the local broadcasts, because the majority of them are regional ads and mlb.tv only works for out of market.

I wish that they would play ads, and drop prices.

I get the MLB.TV for free. I get Extra Innings from DirecTv and it is included at no extra charge.

neener, neener, neener!

I wish that they would play ads, and drop prices.

My preference is they have two rates - one with ads, one without - and let the consumer decide which one s/he wants.

There have been times where mlb.tv was offered free for a week and was ad supported during that week. I think it was just still pictures that appeared in the window.

My guess is that since mlb.tv costs upwards of 100 bucks per season, there is a certain idea that it doesn't need to be or shouldn't be ad supported.

It seems like it would be easy for them to insert a streaming ad like what you see on Hulu or YouTube.

I don't think it makes sense to play the ads from the local broadcasts, because the majority of them are regional ads and mlb.tv only works for out of market.

Nothing against you personally here, but I have a hard time believing that MLB would leave ripe advertiser dollars on the table. And MLB.tv between innings is ripe for advertising.

That said, I would think it's easy to insert ads in between innings as well, and I'm not sure why they haven't so far. My best educated guess is that there is an active dispute as to how such ad revenue should be divided among Baseball, the teams and the originating broadcasters, so while that dispute is still hot, they elect to avoid the problem by running nothing. That's a pretty common way broadcasters handle it.

I do agree that it makes no sense to air local commercials in a gamecast specifically airing out of market, although they do allow local spots through outside the markets on Extra Innings. Maybe that's because the broadcasts are intended to air locally and out of market distribution is considered incidental, although I don't know how they square the circle on the question of charging advertisers for the extra viewers. Broadcasters assiduously avoid giving free promotional time to advertisers.

Edited by chasfh
Grammifying

I don't think the lack of ads is due to difficulty is splitting it up. They have taken ads for it before.

I agree that it seems odd to leave ad dollars on the table.

There has to be a reason.

It will likely be a 2-year deal, which is perfect if he chooses to opt-out

Too hard to say. $22MM+ for a 3 win player is borderline. It will depend upon whether Upton ever reaches his potential, or not.

Speaking strictly as an advertising media professional, I cannot envision a scenario in which Baseball tells its advertising partners, "Thanks, but we won't be needing you anymore. We've already hit our revenue targets."

Any cord-cutting solution will find room for advertisers. Baseball will find a way.

Of course they will, but that was never my point. My point was FSD gets $160M+ in revenue and <$20M is from selling ads. Focusing on the ads in this analysis is backwards.

Streaming won't cut it, the revenue is nowhere close to what the revenue is for useless cable packages that can't be unbundled. The revenue just can't be the same from streaming as it is from cable, it is not possible. The reason that you discontinue your cable is that you realize that you're being overcharged about 90% compared to the actual value that you receive.

If you're an owner, your next regional cable contract will be for a lesser amount than the one that is expiring. Because people won't put up with that **** anymore. The drop will be precipitous enough that no possible increase in ticket prices will compensate for it. So for most owners that will mean a decline in player payroll. Rare will be the owner, like Mike Ilitch, who doesn't care that much about breaking even.

So for you franchise owners out there, you should sell now. This is peak value.

I don't think it's that cut and dry. Tigers averaged ~130,000 viewers per game, which is about 21M views over a season. It's hard to say which of those are unique viewers, but if you get 500K subscribers at $100/season, there's your $50M, and that's not counting ads. That's just Tigers, if they logically bundle Pistons and Red Wings with it you can sell full year subscriptions at $10-$15/month and still be more than fine.

Wow, what happened here? This has turned into the business of sports thread. What does Justin Upton think about all this?

Nothing against you personally here, but I have a hard time believing that MLB would leave ripe advertiser dollars on the table. And MLB.tv between innings is ripe for advertising.

That said, I would think it's easy to insert ads in between innings as well, and I'm not sure why they haven't so far. My best educated guess is that there is an active dispute as to how such ad revenue should be divided among Baseball, the teams and the originating broadcasters, so while that dispute is still hot, they elect to avoid the problem by running nothing. That's a pretty common way broadcasters handle it.

I do agree that it makes no sense to air local commercials in a gamecast specifically airing out of market, although they do allow local spots through outside the markets on Extra Innings. Maybe that's because the broadcasts are intended to air locally and out of market distribution is considered incidental, although I don't know how they square the circle on the question of charging advertisers for the extra viewers. Broadcasters assiduously avoid giving free promotional time to advertisers.

There is no technical issue preventing them from inserting ads. I imagine it is stipulated in the TV contracts that they sign with the local sports networks that prevents them from competing on ad buys. This would give the regional sports network a monopoly on selling adds during high profile viewings such as baseball games. WatchESPN does the same thing as well.

I saw that Dan Dickerson was busy on Twitter yesterday in the wake of the Upton signing but I didn't have time to post the tweets until now. Funny, I know I read him yesterday being all but persuaded that the #2 spot in the order would make the most sense for Upton, but can't find those tweets or sub-tweets now. Dickerson's Twitter from approx. 24 hours ago:

Justin Upton….wow. Where to start? We’ll start with the fact he’s just 28, and he’s turned into a very consistent hitter last 3 years…

Upton’s avg. season last three years: .262/.344/.470, with 27HR 82RBI 12SB, OPS+ of 126, 11% walk rate, 26%K rate...

he’s played RF and LF, exclusively LF last two years, where he was +8 and +0 DRS the last two years with Atl and SD...

…he's good on the bases: 19SB last yr was highest total since 2011, goes 1st to 3rd w/ regularity, takes XB 50% of the time (lg: 39%)…

and there’s upside: fly ball rate has climbed last 3yrs, which suggests HR upside, and there’s overall upside when you look at L/R splits..

….Upton struggled v. LHP in 110AB last yr (.558OPS) but had .987OPS v. LHP prev. 2 seasons, and his .848OPS v. RHP was 2nd-best of career...

…he IS streaky….you’ll have to put up with some rather wild month-to-month fluctuations…but when he’s hot – he can help carry a team….

….some have pointed to Upton’s high K rate as a concern – but we live in high K times….and it’s clear you can K, and still be productive…

…some ML hitters with K rates of 25%+ last yr: Chris Davis, Kris Bryant, JD Martinez, Nelson Cruz – some guy named Trout was at 23%...

…Upton is a 4WAR player (3.5 avg. last 3 yrs) with power, speed and upside – precisely the kind of player who helps you win Championships….

…yes, Miggy&Victor need to be healthy, but sure like the look of Miggy, V-Mart, JD-Mart and Upton in the 3-6 spots....think Ausmus will, too

What would it take to hire Luis Pujols?

You would have to hire him away from the Aberdeen IronBirds, he is their manager.

@DetroitTigersPR

IT'S OFFICIAL: The Tigers have agreed to terms on a six-year contract with outfielder Justin Upton.

CZMQGUPUkAA1Agt.jpg:large

Nice suit, perfect match with the hat. If JUp is this good in the batters box he'll be killin pitchers.

I thought that was DD with Upton, as first glance, and did a double take. Who is that, Westhoff?

Nice wad of telephone cord in the background. Details gentlemen, details. Its got to start from the top.

@DetroitTigersPR

IT'S OFFICIAL: The Tigers have agreed to terms on a six-year contract with outfielder Justin Upton.

CZMQGUPUkAA1Agt.jpg:large

Nice suit, perfect match with the hat. If JUp is this good in the batters box he'll be killin pitchers.

Agreed. That's a solid look.

I thought that was DD with Upton, as first glance, and did a double take. Who is that, Westhoff?

Nice wad of telephone cord in the background. Details gentlemen, details. Its got to start from the top.

Chris Davis' agent tried calling last week to try to work out a deal but no one at the Tigers' office could figure out how to untangle and pick up that phone in time. Whew.

I do believe that's Westhoff.

Westhoff definitely has the look of an executive vice president.

He looks like he's thinking, "Holy Crap! Is this job awesome!"