MAROTH4MVP

David Bowie has died

This one hurts indeed. His decade run of "Hunky Dory" through "Scary Monsters" is unrivaled. He was a true artist who challenged himself, and what music could be. RIP

This is a loss. Talented, complicated artist but apparently an uncomplicated man. I'll always remember the phrase "doing a show for the kids at the back of the hall" to mean a lot of different things. He went to the same high school as my cousin. Sorry, rambling.

David Bowie's Poignant Lyrics, Music Were Star's "Parting Gift" Before Death - Us Weekly

Edited by ROMAD1

Has Dave Grohl inserted himself into the story yet?

I'm waiting for the "Bowie was such an influence on our careers" story to come out. That said, I'm sure Bowie was an influence on a lot of guys careers.

For me, I wouldn't say Bowie was one of my favorite rock & rollers, but I'd probably have him in my top 30. I enjoy a couple of his songs including "Ground Control to Major Tom", "Life On Mars", and "Under Pressure" with Freddy. I recognize the impact the man had on music though and realize that there aren't many who are this good in modern rock music. RIP David Bowie.

Mine was a direct shot at Grohl who seems to always pop up in any music story or interview. He really bugs me.

this is kinda amazing

"I once went to Warsaw,

on a train with Iggy Pop,

what I saw from the windows of the train,

it was depressing..."

And I'm not complaining.

Mine was a direct shot at Grohl who seems to always pop up in any music story or interview. He really bugs me.

That's like blaming the starting pitcher for giving an interview after a big win. Is it because he's making the story about himself? Or is it because that's who everyone wants to talk to? Grohl has a huge fan base so people are always going to want his quote.

If Dave Grohl were a starting pitcher the media would ask him about another guy's performance and he would spend 10 minutes talking about how much he loves the guy and he's the 'greatest ****ing pitcher ever man!'.

Dave Grohl is the Lena Dunham of rock music.

Did you hear? He broke his leg this last summer but kept playing shows.

I think that's pretty absurd, honestly.

You think he's an attention whore, and that may be the case. I think he's just a genuine guy who probably accepts more interview requests than he should because he doesn't want to be a dick. But people see what they want to see and who knows which is right.

But I'm fairly certain most of that is because he's the one guy in rock that everyone wants to interview on every subject because he has an enormous fan base and generates clicks.

I am currently watching the Brian Eno documentary that followed the Bowie thing on youtube. It hit me like a lightning bolt that Roxy Music (Eno was in that with Brian Ferry) which influenced so much the Velvet Revolution in Eastern Europe and Bowie's "Heroes" about the Berlin Wall did more for human freedom than John Lennon and the the similar sort of overt anti-war hippies ever did.

Edited by ROMAD1

You think he's an attention whore, and that may be the case. I think he's just a genuine guy who probably accepts more interview requests than he should because he doesn't want to be a dick. But people see what they want to see and who knows which is right.

But I'm fairly certain most of that is because he's the one guy in rock that everyone wants to interview on every subject because he has an enormous fan base and generates clicks.

Agreed. I know people who know Grohl and say that he is one of the most genuinely happy people on the planet. He absolutely loves his life and doesn't walk around with a huge ego.

If Dave Grohl were a starting pitcher the media would ask him about another guy's performance and he would spend 10 minutes talking about how much he loves the guy and he's the 'greatest ****ing pitcher ever man!'.

I read this and thought about Jack Morris.

Except Jack would spend 10 minutes talking about how much he loves himself and 'is the greatest ****ing pitcher (and deserves to be in the hall)'.

I am currently watching the Brian Eno documentary that followed the Bowie thing on youtube. It hit me like a lightning bolt that Roxy Music (Eno was in that with Brian Ferry) which influenced so much the Velvet Revolution in Eastern Europe and Bowie's "Heroes" about the Berlin Wall did more for human freedom than John Lennon and the the similar sort of overt anti-war hippies ever did.

Germany credits Bowie with 'helping to bring down' Berlin Wall

"Good-bye David Bowie. You are now among #Heroes. Thank you for helping to bring down the #wall," the foreign ministry said in a tweet with a link to a video of his Cold War-era anthem "Heroes" set in the then-divided city.

btw, the Peter Gabriel cover of Heroes that plays at the end of Lone Survivor is about as heart-rending as you'll see in a film.

Agreed. I know people who know Grohl and say that he is one of the most genuinely happy people on the planet. He absolutely loves his life and doesn't walk around with a huge ego.

I think it's shtick. Like how he has to drop an F bomb in every interview because "look, I can swear!'

But they do pay homage to Led Zeppelin and have had JPJ and Page on stage a few times in their shows so that's pretty cool.

I think it's shtick. Like how he has to drop an F bomb in every interview because "look, I can swear!'

But they do pay homage to Led Zeppelin and have had JPJ and Page on stage a few times in their shows so that's pretty cool.

That's how people talk. He lives in a world where he doesn't have to filter himself. He doesn't sit in an office 40 hours a week. I really doubt it's some sort of calculated thing to make himself sound cool.

You know who used to inject himself into the story in the music world? David Bowie. He gave that up at some point.

Yea, well he's a really good drummer, but I didn't like how he handled the whole Queens of the Stone Age thing, kind of a kick in the teeth to his own drummer. Of course he probably doesn't let Taylor play on the Foo Fighters albums either. Grohl is a primadonna trying to come off publicly as an everyman.

Yea, well he's a really good drummer, but I didn't like how he handled the whole Queens of the Stone Age thing, kind of a kick in the teeth to his own drummer. Of course he probably doesn't let Taylor play on the Foo Fighters albums either. Grohl is a primadonna trying to come off publicly as an everyman.

Taylor absolutely plays on the albums. They have much different styles of drumming. Taylor is much better technically.