Sign in to follow this  
mickeyb105

Jennings after five games back

Thoughts on Jennings now and going forward:

--18+ PER is pretty impressive for the first few games of his comeback.

--There is still no doubt he is the best distributor on the team. His 3:1 A:TO is a godsend to the second unit.

--His shooting percentages are pretty in-line with career numbers early on, albeit against second units instead of largely firsts he faced as a starter.

--BJ's defense is pedestrian even against backups, not sure how that plays out if and when SVG plays him and Jackson at the same time. Any way it isn't ugly?

--Keeping him at or under 20 MIN won't last forever. At some point he will be stretched out either out of necessity or to be showcased for a trade.

--Wes Matthews, who got a max deal coming off his complete Achilles tear, is sporting his lowest PER since his rookie season although he has played better over the last month.

SVG has decisions to make. As someone alluded to in another thread, SVG the coach and SVG the GM are in conflict with one another on whether to deal Jennings to make the team better in future years or keep him for a playoff run as a 6, 7 or 8 seed only to watch him walk at season's end.

Do they keep him and hope his value appreciates, or deal him quick on the heels of that 17/6 effort a few days back. I'm guessing SVG gambles and tries to deal him somewhere that wants him as a starter for next year. He would make the deal as much for BJ as he would the franchise.

Can SVG afford to hang onto BJ only to see him leave town like Monroe with no compensation? Does SVG want to pay BJ $10M+ per year to come off the bench? Will another team offer him more and/or a starting job?

I'm anxious to see how this plays out, especially with Meeks coming back and under contract through next season. Somebody has to go IMO, and how much of a market is there for Meeks?

Something to consider RE: Matthews. He was not only coming off that injury, he was dealing with a new coach, system, and teammates. A 20 game adjustment period isn't that odd.

Meeks, he has been bad and/or injured as a Piston, so I think the market for him is rather low right now. Nothing a little 10-15 game showcase couldn't fix though.

As far as trading Jennings. I think he is gone this summer, he will want to start and run his own team. Can't blame a guy for that at all. So I would be more inclined to trade him. But it mostly depends on the value he returns. A 2nd round pick or two? Meh, I probably keep him for a playoff run. A 1st rounder or top 7-8 rotation player? I pull the trigger.

Meeks coming back will make this bench, which has already started to be pretty good, pretty impressive while allowing us to rest the starters more in the second half of the season. Assuming it stays this tight all year long (and I think it might, all the eastern teams seem pretty evenly matched after Cleveland), I'll be pretty happy with the job Stan's done if we're in the playoff hunt all season, ecstatic if we make it, and overjoyed if we manage to steal a series. None of these things are out of the question. We're on pace for 46 wins right now and with Cleveland and Chicago the only ones on pace for better than 50 wins, that's pretty good and both Chicago and Miami will fall back to the pack when they start playing a few road games eventually...(insane that they've both played so few). I was about to go into playoff seeding predictions but realized that's way off topic...as is this whole post so...Nevermind

What's the market for Reggie?

I think, from the way he talks, Stan has hitched his wagon to Reggie for good or bad. I think he'll continue to improve and live up to his contract. Key is to get one more guy that's at least a little better then Reggie at the 2 or 3 that can force Reggie to give up the ball to more then he is right now.

That said, what exactly is it you don't like about him? He seems to be improving in all facets as the year goes on.

I think, from the way he talks, Stan has hitched his wagon to Reggie for good or bad. I think he'll continue to improve and live up to his contract. Key is to get one more guy that's at least a little better then Reggie at the 2 or 3 that can force Reggie to give up the ball to more then he is right now.

That said, what exactly is it you don't like about him? He seems to be improving in all facets as the year goes on.

Why does it have to be I don't like him? Why can't it be I feel Jennings might be better. Or Jennings + what they get for Jackson is better.

I mean are you really saying if Jackson could return a legit starting PF, you wouldn't do it?

You might land one in FA but that is risky and doesn't always work out.

Oh you.

As maddingly frustrating as Reggie can be at times, he's still going to be the Pistons go to guy going forward. He's a gamebreaker and if he learns how to get the ball out his hand quicker, he can be an elite offensive PG. He has lots of work to do defensively but the potential is there to be solid defender.

We need to remember that this is his 1st full year running his own offense so there are going to be lots of inconsistencies as he settles into his new role. I'm willing to be very patient with this player, too much upside to ignore. He has a lot more room for growth than Jennings does IMO. Size, length, strength and gamebreaking ability. Pretty much the ideal PG physically.

As for Jennings, you said it best in your above post. If the Pistons get offered a few 2nd rounders, might as well keep him and make a run but if they get offered a 1st rounder as a centerpiece, they need to jump on that. I can't imagine that he would garner a 1st rounder so I'll bet that the Pistons ride it out with him for the rest of the season.

Ideally, he signs a discounted multi-year deal here but that possibility seems close to zero as I would imagine that he would want to cash in on the open market and be "The Guy" elsewhere.

I mean are you really saying if Jackson could return a legit starting PF, you wouldn't do it?

You might land one in FA but that is risky and doesn't always work out.

fair enough, but I thought you had said in the past you don't like him. That said, I like paying Reggie 16 a year more then Brandon 20 a year by a long shot.

fair enough, but I thought you had said in the past you don't like him. That said, I like paying Reggie 16 a year more then Brandon 20 a year by a long shot.

I don't like him as a PG, but still not sure what that has to do with this. I'm not suggesting you trade him away for Josh Smith or some BS like that. I'm not even saying you trade him. But good organizations explore all possibilities. And Jennings + (Insert known traded player here) might be better than Jackson + (Unknown FA here).

Hell, Mickey tells me Jackson can shoot 36% from behind the line and so far he is right, at least this year. If he could do that maybe you move him off the ball and sign Jennings to be your PG.

KCP moves to the bench, which is probably where he belongs. You instantly have two facilitators in Jennings/Jackson, which this team desperately needs. KCP still gets 25-30 MPG in a 3 guard rotation, Jackson still gets 15-20 MPG at PG. It becomes extremely hard for teams to defend the PnR. They put their best guard defender on Jennings, he hands the ball to Jackson to run it. Jennings shoots well enough to play off the ball. Defense is the only downside to this, but I think Jackson would make a scary good SG, as long as he maintains his 3PT%.

I think this is absolutely a fair question. If I can get a top 7 or 8 PF for Reggie, I think about it.

The other side of this--how does Reggie respond when his name hits the rumor mill? For this reason, SVG would have to pull some Jedi-level mind trick on the opposing GM to bring up RJ in a deal first as to not appear to be shopping him.

Am I sold on BJ as an option at PG going forward? Probably not at this time, maybe not ever, but I do like Dennis Schroeder a whole lot going into this summer. IJS.

I don't like him as a PG, but still not sure what that has to do with this. I'm not suggesting you trade him away for Josh Smith or some BS like that. I'm not even saying you trade him. But good organizations explore all possibilities. And Jennings + (Insert known traded player here) might be better than Jackson + (Unknown FA here).

Hell, Mickey tells me Jackson can shoot 36% from behind the line and so far he is right, at least this year. If he could do that maybe you move him off the ball and sign Jennings to be your PG.

KCP moves to the bench, which is probably where he belongs. You instantly have two facilitators in Jennings/Jackson, which this team desperately needs. KCP still gets 25-30 MPG in a 3 guard rotation, Jackson still gets 15-20 MPG at PG. It becomes extremely hard for teams to defend the PnR. They put their best guard defender on Jennings, he hands the ball to Jackson to run it. Jennings shoots well enough to play off the ball. Defense is the only downside to this, but I think Jackson would make a scary good SG, as long as he maintains his 3PT%.

I mostly like this idea, and 100% like the second paragraph.

I think this is absolutely a fair question. If I can get a top 7 or 8 PF for Reggie, I think about it.

The other side of this--how does Reggie respond when his name hits the rumor mill? For this reason, SVG would have to pull some Jedi-level mind trick on the opposing GM to bring up RJ in a deal first as to not appear to be shopping him.

Am I sold on BJ as an option at PG going forward? Probably not at this time, maybe not ever, but I do like Dennis Schroeder a whole lot going into this summer. IJS.

Yeah, Reggie would probably flip, and I wouldn't blame him. But that is the business side of basketball.

FWIW, Schroder had two DNP-CD's in his last three games. Not hurt, not being punished, just didn't play. So he might be available. Although he did play about 25 minutes in their last game.

The idea of trading Reggie is a stupid one. Would the Wizards trade Wall? Nope.

Let the guy develop before throwing him on the trade market. PG is the most important position in the NBA and he's developing into a really good one. He's inconsistent but I'm confident that SVG can help him work out those kinks in his game and elevate him into a top PG.

I wouldn't be opposed to rolling with Jennings over Jackson in the future but it feels like a little bit of "we want the back quarterback" situation to me right now. Jackson has been very good this year, arguably better than Jennings has ever been, so I would lean towards keeping him over Jennings, unless Jennings is going to cost half the annual salary. I do get frustrated with Jackson's poor playmaking skills at point guard but Jennings was awful on defense at the end of games last year so it is kind of like pick your poison.

Interesting idea...I kind of like this. SVG would be smart to at least explore this because he has a pretty big decision to make in the offseason on Jennings.

..... Defense is the only downside to this, ....

When they were winning after they moved Smith, KCP was starting at the two - so does that mean if you could get Reggie's D somewhere in the ballpark of KCPs you could play him with Jennings from a defensive standpoint? - that is assuming the Jennings can still defend as well as he could before he was hurt. Well I guess you could give up some D since Reggie is going to give you more scoring than KCP.

I wouldn't be opposed to rolling with Jennings over Jackson in the future but it feels like a little bit of "we want the back quarterback" situation to me right now. Jackson has been very good this year, arguably better than Jennings has ever been, so I would lean towards keeping him over Jennings, unless Jennings is going to cost half the annual salary. I do get frustrated with Jackson's poor playmaking skills at point guard but Jennings was awful on defense at the end of games last year so it is kind of like pick your poison.

I don't think its a backup QB situation. If anything, people like you who say how great Reggie is this year, forgot how good Jennings was last year. Look at their seasons compared.

Player Comparison Finder | Basketball-Reference.com

Reggie the better scorer, Jennings the better distributor and takes a little better care of the ball. Neither plays defense.

And don't forget, those first 25 games for Jennings had Josh Smith on the team. Meaning the ball wasn't in Jennings hands nearly as much as it is in Jacksons hands this year.

..... Defense is the only downside to this, ....

When they were winning after they moved Smith, KCP was starting at the two - so does that mean if you could get Reggie's D somewhere in the ballpark of KCPs you could play him with Jennings from a defensive standpoint? - that is assuming the Jennings can still defend as well as he could before he was hurt. Well I guess you could give up some D since Reggie is going to give you more scoring than KCP.

I don't think Jackson will ever approach KCP as a defensive player. You sort of have to accept him and Jennings will both be bad.

The upside, Morris improved the SF spot on defense compared to last year.

I don't think its a backup QB situation. If anything, people like you who say how great Reggie is this year, forgot how good Jennings was last year. Look at their seasons compared.

Reggie the better scorer, Jennings the better distributor and takes a little better care of the ball. Neither plays defense.

And don't forget, those first 25 games for Jennings had Josh Smith on the team. Meaning the ball wasn't in Jennings hands nearly as much as it is in Jacksons hands this year.

That seems like a pretty significant defensive edge to Jackson, although I can't say for sure without seeing a larger sample of league data. Jennings is basically a wash on the court as he gives up as much on defense as he gives you on offense. I will agree though that it is refreshing to see a playmaker at point guard when Blake or Jennings are in the game.

Pretty much this, although I've seen Jackson dig down and play D when he absolutely has to. I'm not sure if I've ever seen Jennings really stop much of anyone?

I'm not sure why OKC didn't roll with RWB and RJ as the starting backcourt unless it was all about RWB having complete mind control over Brooks (completely possible).

Jennings still has to prove it to me for a few more weeks before I drink the kool-ade, as I feel much the same about complete Achilles tears in basketball as I do about Lisfranc fractures in football. I hope BJ makes me eat crow.

That seems like a pretty significant defensive edge to Jackson, although I can't say for sure without seeing a larger sample of league data. Jennings is basically a wash on the court as he gives up as much on defense as he gives you on offense. I will agree though that it is refreshing to see a playmaker at point guard when Blake or Jennings are in the game.

Absolutely not. DWS is more team oriented than individual.

Jennings DRPM last year, -1.41. Jackson this year, -2.03. Jennings was better, but still awful.

Would you deal Jennings to reunite the Morris twins? Phoenix looking to sell...

Pretty much this, although I've seen Jackson dig down and play D when he absolutely has to. I'm not sure if I've ever seen Jennings really stop much of anyone?

I'm not sure why OKC didn't roll with RWB and RJ as the starting backcourt unless it was all about RWB having complete mind control over Brooks (completely possible).

Jennings still has to prove it to me for a few more weeks before I drink the kool-ade, as I feel much the same about complete Achilles tears in basketball as I do about Lisfranc fractures in football. I hope BJ makes me eat crow.

Jackson has fantastic physical tools to be a good defender. Tall, long, really quick. I think its more of an effort thing with him. I think the tools are there.

To be fair, he has to expend a ton of energy on offense.