RedRamage

How likely is it that Caldwell comes back?

What do you think the percentage is that Caldwell is the Lions coach opening day 2016  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the percentage is that Caldwell is the Lions coach opening day 2016

• 0-20%
    • 21-40%
    • 41-60%
    • 61-80%
    • 81-100%

Caldwell is going into the third year of a four year contract, he has a winning record and a playoff appearance over the first two years, and he is Quinn's best chance of retaining Calvin. It makes sense to keep him for one more year.

Yeah seems more of a move to keep everyone happy than it is retaining what he believes is the right coach to lead the Lions into that upper echelon of elite teams. Quin keeps the peace for now, and has an easy out if Caldwell doesn't pan out next year

The Colts were never getting the ball back. That was first down and the Colts' last time out. All it accomplished was allowing the Jets to save their final time out and to give them time to discuss the next play call, which was a 20 yard gain for a simple field goal. Rex Ryan couldn't believe his good luck having Caldwell across the field.

You have to be able to trust your defense. Forcing another offensive play is probably your best chance at winning to give a shot at an interception or fumble. The Jets were going to run one more play anyways.

This is overblown. The defenders should have seen Rodgers throwing up the hail mary and should have been in better position. There were still plenty of men in the end zone on that play.

Another one of those talking points people keep bringing up to hate on Caldwell. I like him for the most part..he has made some errors, but the whole 'lateral defense instead of hail mary defense' is asinine. I would LOVE to be able to go back and have him play the hail mary defense only to have GB win on a ton of laterals and see the reaction then.

I still think the biggest mistake on that play was not even the coaching, it was that the 3 men rushing gave up on the play and gave Rodgers a completely uncontested throwing position. If they had at least maintained the normal discipline for a 3 man prevent rush, Rodgers would have had to have thrown it at least 5 yds farther. They didn't anticipate or pursue on the roll-out and let him walk right up to the LOS before throwing.

I still think the biggest mistake on that play was not even the coaching, it was that the 3 men rushing gave up on the play and gave Rodgers a completely uncontested throwing position. If they had at least maintained the normal discipline for a 3 man prevent rush, Rodgers would have had to have thrown it at least 5 yds farther. They didn't anticipate or pursue on the roll-out and let him walk right up to the LOS before throwing.

Add onto that why was Haloti Ngata even on the field? Why wasn't Ziggy lined up at the LOS to try and put some pressure on the passer? Where were Calvin and Ebron?

Meh. Really bad game coach but really good at keeping players interested and playing hard.

I like the assistants. Not sure what role Caldwell had in hiring cooter or firing Lombardi. Or hiring Lombardi.

Add onto that why was Haloti Ngata even on the field? Why wasn't Ziggy lined up at the LOS to try and put some pressure on the passer? Where were Calvin and Ebron?

Isn't that more Austin's fault than caldwell's? Wouldn't Austin be the one calling the defensive lineup and play?

I don't like JC but there are sound reasons for keeping him.

Clearly the bar is the playoffs on 2016.

Fwiw, if they make the playoffs and lose I still don't see how JC would be fired...that would be 3 years with a winning record overall and two playoff visits.

Crossing my fingers hoping that they keep the assistants.

I think they need to win the division, or do well in the playoffs. Just making it in to the playoffs shouldn't be good enough.

Isn't that more Austin's fault than caldwell's? Wouldn't Austin be the one calling the defensive lineup and play?

Well, Caldwell took the blame for it at the press conference I do believe.

I think they need to win the division, or do well in the playoffs. Just making it in to the playoffs shouldn't be good enough.

I want the bar as high as possible, but FWIW, I don't see how you can predetermine a hire/fire decision based on one future game, no matter how important it is.

Let's say that they win 10 games in 2016 and lose in the 1st round. That would give Caldwell the following record:

- 11-5 + 7-9 and a playoff loss with one horrible owner (WCFS) + a below average/poor FO (Lewand/Mayhew) and a so-so roster of a couple of stars and however you wish to characterize the rest;

- 10-6 and a playoff loss with a first-time owner and first-time GM and a roster that will presumably be as improved as a roster can be in one off-season.

I just can't see how that = must be fired.

Anyway, I'm not trying to come to JC's defense, as I said I don't like him as HC (esp. on field), I just question the logic of the "must win a playoff game or else!" standard.

Well, Caldwell took the blame for it at the press conference I do believe.

As he will take the blame for just about everything that happens to the team...minus injuries. It is what a good coach does.

As he will take the blame for just about everything that happens to the team...minus injuries. It is what a good coach does.

Exactly.

Let's say that they win 10 games in 2016 and lose in the 1st round. That would give Caldwell the following record:

- 11-5 + 7-9 and a playoff loss with one horrible owner (WCFS) + a below average/poor FO (Lewand/Mayhew) and a so-so roster of a couple of stars and however you wish to characterize the rest;

- 10-6 and a playoff loss with a first-time owner and first-time GM and a roster that will presumably be as improved as a roster can be in one off-season.

Martha Ford will not be a "first-time owner"...she has already been the sole owner the past two seasons under Caldwell.

Of course, that's his job

Don't see a problem with the Colts calling a timeout, allowing the Jets to save theirs and have time to discuss a play to get closer for a game winning field goal? If you're okay with that then Caldwell is your man.

jets were in range and had their own Time Out. I dont' see the problem

Martha Ford will not be a "first-time owner"...she has already been the sole owner the past two seasons under Caldwell.

Sorry, I forgot that WCFS died before the 2014 season. Nevertheless, Caldwell has had to work with quite a bit of FO transition since his hire in January 2014. If he succeeds under two different FOs, even with 2 playoff losses it would be pretty hard to fire a guy in that situation.

She doesn't have the time for a few " five year" plans. This is probably it for her.

But like I said in an earlier post, it doesn't really matter. Gives us something to either like or complain about but the fact is with Caldwell we won't be winning the Super Bowl in the next couple of years anyway and we probably wouldn't find a coach that would. I don't care but if it means keeping Calvin, I'm OK with Caldwell.

Now on to the draft, start building a winner. I'm sure we'll all have an opinion on what players we'll be taking. But again, does it matter?

I want the bar as high as possible, but FWIW, I don't see how you can predetermine a hire/fire decision based on one future game, no matter how important it is.

I just can't see how that = must be fired.

Anyway, I'm not trying to come to JC's defense, as I said I don't like him as HC (esp. on field), I just question the logic of the "must win a playoff game or else!" standard.

Agreed, just want it to be better.