RedRamage

How likely is it that Caldwell comes back?

What do you think the percentage is that Caldwell is the Lions coach opening day 2016  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the percentage is that Caldwell is the Lions coach opening day 2016

• 0-20%
    • 21-40%
    • 41-60%
    • 61-80%
    • 81-100%

Sorry, but unless Quinn fires the entire scouting staff, this will just continue. And do you think this young guy said to the Ford family. "Stay out of player decisions, that's my job". I doubt that. Until this team has a GM that has the stones to tell ownership that, nothing will change.

I don't know if Quinn is any good or not. The Pats have Tom Brady. Tom Brady makes everyone look like a genius, including the Pats' Head Coach.

I said before he got fired. You left off the 10-6 season. They were also leading the division for much of the season in 2013 until the late season collapse.

You can't just ignore the late season collapse. The collapse is even more evidence that Mayhew screwed up by keeping Schwartz one season too long.

I didn't think that Mayhew was that bad either but just like the record indicated, he was very hit and miss. Poor drafter outside of the '13 draft, did very well with free agent signings, poor coach choices, some pretty good trades, botched up the Suh situation. Just like the team, his tenure was a roller coaster of ups and downs.

The bottom line is that you have to win consistently in this league especially when you have elite talent at all the skilled positions and 2 future hall of famers in CJ and likely Suh. To only make the playoffs twice with that group, not win one division title and not win one playoff game is simply not good enough.

.......I don't know if Quinn is any good or not. The Pats have Tom Brady. Tom Brady makes everyone look like a genius, including the Pats' Head Coach.

What did you think of Stafford in the Lions last 8 games? Some people argue it was against terrible competition. Next season, their schedule looks pretty easy right now, so maybe Stafford can make Caldwell? everyone? look good too? If he plays a full season like he played the final 8 games, they will win at least 10 games.

Sorry, but unless Quinn fires the entire scouting staff, this will just continue. And do you think this young guy said to the Ford family. "Stay out of player decisions, that's my job". I doubt that. Until this team has a GM that has the stones to tell ownership that, nothing will change.

I don't know if Quinn is any good or not. The Pats have Tom Brady. Tom Brady makes everyone look like a genius, including the Pats' Head Coach.

I pointed this out earlier in the thread.... The Pats were 11-5 with Matt freaking Cassell as their QB, that franchise is more than just Brady. They have drafted extremely well especially considering their draft position every year and their free agents signings/trades almost always reap benefits and if not, they find a way to unload the player without much fanfare. The organization is a well oiled machine from top to bottom. Of course having an elite QB is essential for sustained success for any organization but they have a lot of good players on that team, always have. The scouting has always been top notch.

However, I could see the skepticism surrounding Quinn because of previous Pats failures away from the cozy confines of Kraftland but all we can do is hope that it works out. I'd rather bring in somebody from a winning organization than somebody from a losing organization or even worse, hire again from within.

When did the Fords ever get involved in any player decisions? I don't believe ever. They are guilty of extreme loyalty, but not micro managing.

As someone noted before, the Pats have a top 10 defense every year and pull RBs and OLs seemingly out of thin air every year. That ain't Brady.

I think you're wrong on who will have say in personnel. FIrst of all, I don't think anyone interfered with Mayhew. Second of all, I think Martha appears much more likely to stay out of it and let qualified people handle things(see the Accorsi hire) and third of all, its rare for a first time GM to be named both GM and VP of player personnel, so it seems clear to me that they are giving Quinn full power over personnel duties.

As for the scouting staff, their contracts run through May and its probably too late to fire them for this year, but he will likely put his own stamp on the front office after this year's draft. Too late now to start your draft prep all the way over.

You can't just ignore the late season collapse. The collapse is even more evidence that Mayhew screwed up by keeping Schwartz one season too long.

I didn't think that Mayhew was that bad either but just like the record indicated, he was very hit and miss. Poor drafter outside of the '13 draft, did very well with free agent signings, poor coach choices, some pretty good trades, botched up the Suh situation. Just like the team, his tenure was a roller coaster of ups and downs.

The bottom line is that you have to win consistently in this league especially when you have elite talent at all the skilled positions and 2 future hall of famers in CJ and likely Suh. To only make the playoffs twice with that group, not win one division title and not win one playoff game is simply not good enough.

That late season collapse in 2013 was pretty bizarre to be fair. We just see the W/L record now, but Burleson had the pizza injury, CJ broke his fingers and dropped basically 2 game winning passes and we had that crazy snowstorm game in Philly. I doubt we lose to the Vikings in week 17 if we were still in competition either, as we basically appeared to take that game off after being eliminated.

but, I'll also agree with your last statement. I thought Mayhew made some brilliant moves and showed an overall degree of competence we hadn't seen in Detroit for a while, but "not good enough" basically sums it up. Too many crucial errors set us back and stopped us from maximizing the potential we had with guys like STafford,Calvin and Suh on the roster.

Sorry, but unless Quinn fires the entire scouting staff, this will just continue...

Bull-****

...And do you think this young guy said to the Ford family. "Stay out of player decisions, that's my job". I doubt that...

Bull-****. Since when has the Ford family ever determined who is drafted, or signed as a free-agent, etc. Your supposition here is utter BS.

...Until this team has a GM that has the stones to tell ownership that, nothing will change...

Bull-****. Where are you coming up with this crap?

Me, personally, I'd hate to give up my seats entering a season with a very easy schedule. Almost any average coach should get 10-11 wins next year. But, with Caldwell I'd only expect 7-8, so I will be gone.

It's all relative, of course, but there is no such thing as an easy schedule in the NFL. There is a lot of parity. There are no dominant teams, there are no easy teams. A few plays, or injuries are deciding games and seasons. It's the highest level of competition, and the effort that goes into each game by both teams is incredible.

When did the Fords ever get involved in any player decisions? I don't believe ever. They are guilty of extreme loyalty, but not micro managing.

Where's the evidence that they haven't? Sounds like the only one that's guilty of loyalty is your loyalty to Ford family talking points.

Where's the evidence that they haven't? Sounds like the only one that's guilty of loyalty is your loyalty to Ford family talking points.

Also, where is the evidence that Martha Ford doesn't eat baby kittens for breakfast every day?

Saying that something is true, because you haven't seen evidence that it isn't not true is silly.

Edited by hardyaf

In my lifetime, we've been through this countless times. Bottom line? It make no freaking difference. Keep them all, fire them all, it doesn't matter. The end result is the same. The Lions are going to suck. Always did and always will. There is no hope for this hapless team, ever. Move them to L.A. and we'll at least have another west coast team to laugh at.

But I'm sure with yet another change of management we'll be hearing about how things are going to change now and we're going to have a winner here in Motown. Here's a heads up people, the Lions are going to suck no matter who the GM is, no matter who the coaches are and no matter who we draft. Being negative? No sir, being realistic.

Easily the worst post on this entire forum.

If you want make stuff up to be pissed off about, feel free, but if you'd been paying attention, you'd know it isn't true.

And do you think this young guy said to the Ford family. "Stay out of player decisions, that's my job". I doubt that. Until this team has a GM that has the stones to tell ownership that, nothing will change.

There have been many problems with the Ford Family's ownership, but meddling in player decisions isn't one of them. If you want to see an owner that actually does do this, look up Jerry Jones.

In my lifetime, we've been through this countless times. Bottom line? It make no freaking difference. Keep them all, fire them all, it doesn't matter. The end result is the same. The Lions are going to suck. Always did and always will. There is no hope for this hapless team, ever. Move them to L.A. and we'll at least have another west coast team to laugh at.

But I'm sure with yet another change of management we'll be hearing about how things are going to change now and we're going to have a winner here in Motown. Here's a heads up people, the Lions are going to suck no matter who the GM is, no matter who the coaches are and no matter who we draft. Being negative? No sir, being realistic.

Easily the worst post on this entire forum.

But it's all true. I know the truth is hard to hear at times but it is what it is. People get all worked up throughout the many, many years of Lions failures, whether it's front office moves, drafts or coaching changes or decisions. But it's all for nothing. There's nothing any of us can do to change the last 50+ years of the most inept franchise in any sport. Now we're going to change GM and maybe coaches? Well, jump on the bandwagon because NOW we have it right and NOW we're going to win....yeah right!

Blind loyalty to the Lions ended about 20 years ago.

But it's all true. I know the truth is hard to hear at times but it is what it is. People get all worked up throughout the many, many years of Lions failures, whether it's front office moves, drafts or coaching changes or decisions. But it's all for nothing. There's nothing any of us can do to change the last 50+ years of the most inept franchise in any sport. Now we're going to change GM and maybe coaches? Well, jump on the bandwagon because NOW we have it right and NOW we're going to win....yeah right!

Why are you hellbent on making everyone as miserable as you?

I've stumbled into a bit of this trap in the past. I realize something isn't worth it to me to be into anymore and so I distance myself. Then because I'm bored I talk or chat about it again with someone who is in telling them how dumb it was to be in. But the only person being stupid was me for bringing up my views in an improper forum/manner.

It's like cutting yourself off from TV and then going to a TV forum and telling people how much TV sucks.

It's not true though. There is literally no one here who thinks that they can change the last 50 years. The Lions are doing the only thing they can do to try to get better; they are making another change. Just because past changes didn't work doesn't mean this one won't work.

One cause for optimism is that for the first time in 50+ years there is a new owner making decisions, and she has already shown that she makes decisions differently than the previous owner. It may not work but the old way certainly didn't work either.

Edited by sagnam

It isn't true! It's just your perception. They haven't won a championship, but they've had some good years and bad years and some exciting wins and frustrating losses. They've had some fabulous players pass through. They've had their ups and downs just like real life. Human beings live in hope. Only losers whine and complain and wallow in misery.

C'mon, this is ridiculous.

No, it's not true. It's a long winded nonsensical rant by a disgruntled Lions fan.

The last 50+ years have nothing to do with the coming years.

We all joke about SOL, cursed franchise etc. but the sad part is that you REALLY believe that.

Bob Quinn has nothing to do with the past decades of failures. Ron Wood has nothing to do with past Lions failures. The probable new coach and new scouting staff has nothing to do with past Lions failures.

It doesn't make any sense to say that it doesn't matter who the Lions bring in just because they are the Lions. It seems like they are doing what they can to start fresh and move this thing forward. It may work out, it may not but I sure as hell aren't going to doom them to automatic failure simply because they are the Lions. If it you already know the outcome then why not just detach yourself from the team completely and save yourself from more inevitable misery.

I was convinced (correctly) that WCFS could never get it right.

I have my doubts that Mrs. Ford is up to the task, but as a first-time owner at an elderly age, she has done a very good job IMHO.

The firing of Lewand/Mayhew, the contracting of Accorsi, and the hiring of Quinn are all very good moves. Miles to go before they can declare "success" in becoming a good organization, but with a rejuvenated FO and a pretty decent roster they have a legit shot at competing again in 2016, and also at becoming a legit organization over the ensuing years.

I just don't see any reason to dismiss everything at this point until this new FO team has had a chance to work things out.

My "bar" for success given the pretty decent state of the roster is at least 2 winning seasons over the next 3 years. I don't know what odds to place on that right now given the flux in the coaching situation and other major roster decisions pending.

Edited by sabretooth