RedRamage

How likely is it that Caldwell comes back?

What do you think the percentage is that Caldwell is the Lions coach opening day 2016  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the percentage is that Caldwell is the Lions coach opening day 2016

• 0-20%
    • 21-40%
    • 41-60%
    • 61-80%
    • 81-100%

Decision expected today

I hope so because they need to get their new coach ASAP if they let Caldwell go.

Josh Katzenstein ‏@jkatzenstein 20m20 minutes ago

Ernie Accorsi is staying on with the Lions as a special adviser to President Rod Wood.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 18m18 minutes ago

Lions hiring of Accorsi latest indicator Jim Caldwell very likely safe. His past searches have been pragmatic in that regard as well...

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 18m18 minutes ago

A young GM like Bob Quinn coming in and firing an established NFL coach who finished season on 6-2 run after playoff season very unlikely

Josh Katzenstein ‏@jkatzenstein 16m16 minutes ago

Ernie Accorsi said there's no update on Jim Caldwell's status. GM Bob Quinn will make the decision on Caldwell.

Josh Katzenstein ‏@jkatzenstein 20m20 minutes ago

Ernie Accorsi is staying on with the Lions as a special adviser to President Rod Wood.

This is a very good decision in my opinion. A good sign of a smart person is bringing help to supplement what you don't know.

In my lifetime, we've been through this countless times. Bottom line? It make no freaking difference. Keep them all, fire them all, it doesn't matter. The end result is the same. The Lions are going to suck. Always did and always will. There is no hope for this hapless team, ever. Move them to L.A. and we'll at least have another west coast team to laugh at.

But I'm sure with yet another change of management we'll be hearing about how things are going to change now and we're going to have a winner here in Motown. Here's a heads up people, the Lions are going to suck no matter who the GM is, no matter who the coaches are and no matter who we draft. Being negative? No sir, being realistic.

This should win an award for whiniest thing ever said.

Then why do you bother posting? It seems like there are better things for you to do with your time if you feel this way.

I'll still watch and root for them. It's just I don't ever get my hopes too high anymore...they ARE the Lions. The place coaches go when they're ready to retire.

The Doom Job. And didn't you hear Caldwell say the only reason the Lions lose is the media is too negative? He fits right in with this team. I'm surprised they didn't give him a lifetime contract on the spot.

I've been following all Detroit teams since the mid-60's. 3 of the 4 major teams have won at least 2 Championships in my lifetime. The only exception? Yeah....we're on the right track now. I've been hearing that my entire life.

I'll still watch and root for them. It's just I don't ever get my hopes too high anymore...they ARE the Lions. The place coaches go when they're ready to retire.

The Doom Job. And didn't you hear Caldwell say the only reason the Lions lose is the media is too negative? He fits right in with this team. I'm surprised they didn't give him a lifetime contract on the spot.

I've been following all Detroit teams since the mid-60's. 3 of the 4 major teams have won at least 2 Championships in my lifetime. The only exception? Yeah....we're on the right track now. I've been hearing that my entire life.

think about this though. when is the last time the Lions hired someone young and sought after as a GM? past ownership would have just kept Sheldon White. it could be different now.

think about this though. when is the last time the Lions hired someone young and sought after as a GM? past ownership would have just kept Sheldon White. it could be different now.

Millen.

In my lifetime, we've been through this countless times. Bottom line? It make no freaking difference. Keep them all, fire them all, it doesn't matter. The end result is the same. The Lions are going to suck. Always did and always will. There is no hope for this hapless team, ever. Move them to L.A. and we'll at least have another west coast team to laugh at.

But I'm sure with yet another change of management we'll be hearing about how things are going to change now and we're going to have a winner here in Motown. Here's a heads up people, the Lions are going to suck no matter who the GM is, no matter who the coaches are and no matter who we draft. Being negative? No sir, being realistic.

Sports_Freak, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent statement were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Just a little friendly ribbing.

I know that it sucks being a Lions fan but there is no curse here. Just stupid people in charge. Lets hope this time is different, I feel that they are making the right front office decisions for the first time in decades. I don't remember the last time I approved of one of their front office/coaching hires. So far so good, lets see where it goes from here.

Edited by NYLion

Millen.

Not even close to the same thing. You're probably being tongue-in-cheek, but Millen had absolutely no front office experience. Quinn has 16 years.

Not even close to the same thing. You're probably being tongue-in-cheek, but Millen had absolutely no front office experience. Quinn has 16 years.

Millen was thought of as a bold, aggressive, outside-the-box hire, though, and he was.

I think Sr. (and Jr.) should actually be commended for taking a risk like that. But when you take a risk like that, you have to cut the cord fast when it fails.

You said young and sought after. That was him at the time, IIRC.

if you can prove that Millen was sought after, then I will gladly admit I was wrong, haha.

Seriously though Quinn was a legit candidate and I'm a little excited that maybe for once the Lions will have a good front office.

I don't believe Millen was sought after. Otherwise he would have gotten a job between the Lions' first attempt to hire him and the actual hire 2 years later.

This doesn't make sense. If Caldweii leaves, Cooter and Austin are gone. A new coach is going to bring in his own assistants. If you want Cooter and Austin to stay, then you should root for Caldwell to stay.

I want Caldwell gone more than I want Austin/Cooter to stay. Keeping Caldwell around going into an easy schedule year will only mask his ineptness as a coach. He may fall *** backward into 9-7 or 10-6 next season only to flop the following year against a real schedule. I'm not willing to waste 2 years.

I still don't know why this team would hand the highest management job to a TV commentator. Then sign him to a five year extension and make him the second highest paid executive in the NFL.

I still don't know why this team would hand the highest management job to a TV commentator. Then sign him to a five year extension and make him the second highest paid executive in the NFL.

And I found him doing college games, big games, talking about the talent on the field. How does he know? Poor kids probably didn't get drafted because of Millen.

He was fired in 2008. This is 2016 and we're just now replacing Millen's clone replacements. The ones he groomed for the job. And we hired him in 2001. This is a 15 year old mistake we still haven't repaired. How many more years until we get our 5 year window of glory? It seems like the majority of the NFL teams are on their 3rd or 4th great stretches of glory while we have only had a year here or a year there. 1991 was the best.

Mayhew gets more hate than he deserves. This team is in much better shape than after Millen. He inherited an 0-16 team and got them to 10 wins and a playoff berth in 3 seasons. The Lions were playoff contenders in 3 of the 4 seasons before he got fired. He leaves behind a franchise QB and some talent. Most people expect this team to be a playoff contender next year.

Mayhew gets more hate than he deserves. This team is in much better shape than after Millen. He inherited an 0-16 team and got them to 10 wins and a playoff berth in 3 seasons. The Lions were playoff contenders in 3 of the 4 seasons before he got fired.

How do you figure? His last 4 seasons as GM were 4-12, 7-9, 11-5, 7-9

Quinn claimed in his press conference that he will meet with Caldwell to get to know him and to see if he would be able to work with him. He also said he would talk with Stafford about Caldwell. Do you think there is any person that doesn't like Caldwell as a person? As a person, he is pure class. I really don't think Stafford is going to say anything bad about Caldwell. The Fords and the players love Caldwell. I really think Quinn will like him too. I would put the chances of Caldwell coming back at around 75%.

Quinn claimed in his press conference that he will meet with Caldwell to get to know him and to see if he would be able to work with him. He also said he would talk with Stafford about Caldwell. Do you think there is any person that doesn't like Caldwell as a person? As a person, he is pure class. I really don't think Stafford is going to say anything bad about Caldwell. The Fords and the players love Caldwell. I really think Quinn will like him too. I would put the chances of Caldwell coming back at around 75%.

I recall Quinn talking about meeting with Caldwell to see whether their philosophies would mesh. I'm not sure what this means, but I'm sure there will be a lot of questions about the Lombardi debacle, and probably a lot of questions about Caldwell's expectations about control of the roster.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised either way. And I wouldn't be surprised if Quinn doesn't even know.

How do you figure? His last 4 seasons as GM were 4-12, 7-9, 11-5, 7-9

I said before he got fired. You left off the 10-6 season. They were also leading the division for much of the season in 2013 until the late season collapse.