RedRamage

How likely is it that Caldwell comes back?

What do you think the percentage is that Caldwell is the Lions coach opening day 2016  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the percentage is that Caldwell is the Lions coach opening day 2016

• 0-20%
    • 21-40%
    • 41-60%
    • 61-80%
    • 81-100%

.....May the best case scenario is Caldwell is gone, Austin takes over as HC, Cooter remains at OC. But the likelihood of that happening is about zero.

Players seem to love Caldwell.

I agree that he is as good as his assistants.

Would you rather have this:

Head Coach: Caldwell

DC: Austin

OC: Cooter

Or have this:

Head Coach: Gase or McDaniels or Bevell (These could be a possibility depending on the next GM of the Lions)

Or doesn't it matter as long as the assistants come back?

He'll get the Tampa Bay job.

Pretty sure they fired Lovie to get a QB centric coach in place.

I think his best shot is probably Miami or Cleveland. Miami because of Suh, Cleveland because they won't get a big name.

they were 1-7 and finished 6-2. You have to give them credit for playing the season out hard. Not to mention they got screwed in a few games.

They could've easily went 10-6. Caldwell gets another year

With all of the support for Caldwell from players and the Ford family (including Calvin Johnson appearing to give the franchise a veiled ultimatum about keeping Caldwell) there is almost no chance Caldwell will be let go. No GM they are interviewing has the stature to get rid of Caldwell given the circumstances.

Players seem to love Caldwell.

I agree that he is as good as his assistants.

Would you rather have this:

Head Coach: Caldwell

Or have this:

Head Coach: Gase or McDaniels or Bevell (These could be a possibility depending on the next GM of the Lions)

Or doesn't it matter as long as the assistants come back?

I don't know enough about the other guys to be sure. And honestly, I don't know enough how the inter-workings of the current setup the Lions have (for example, is Cooter just more-or-less following what Caldwell tells him to do right now? How much free reign does Austin have?)

Right now it *feels* like Austin is a decent DC and it *feels* like Cooter might know what he's doing and it *feels* like Caldwell doesn't know how to be aggressive enough when he needs to be or how to motivate his guys the best.

I my very uneducated, very much NOT insider opinion, I think I'd like a veteran coach who a bit more dynamic/emotional/aggressive than Caldwell but who would keep Cooter and Austin, at least initially. I'd prefer someone somewhat offensively minded as I think Cooter is the weaker link right now.

But I think this is a pipe dream honestly. I can't see a veteran HC coming in here and NOT want his own guys as coordinators. And for that matter, would Cooter or Austin even want to work under a different HC? Austin's stock is still pretty high and Cooter's is rising. Why risk that under a different guy with a team that's... well, questionable. I gotta think Cooter could easily fit in with another team at OC under proven coach/system. And Austin could easily get a HC gig right now.

I'd guess a new OC might keep Cooter, seeing what he did with COoter, if he was willing to stay. Austin would probably go, possibly on his own volition

Not trying to single you out here azzurri (which of course means that that just what I'm about to do), but I'd be interested to see if you, or the others, actually follow through with this if Caldwell returns. I mean I still sat and watched at least most of every game this year. I know some people have given up on the Lions for good, but I don't know if I ever could.

I will still sit and watch the games, but I will do it from my couch. I would never give up watching the Lions on TV, because I am a fan of the game, but I can only be a fool in the stands for so long.

I hope Caldwell returns in part because I want the lions to call azzurri's bluff.

Watch me! They will lose that bet.

Watch me! They will lose that bet.

Even if the Lions win their first 8 games? Their schedule is supposed to be pretty easy. You still will not drink the Blue Kool Aid?

lions-kool-aid.jpg

Hmmm...

Accorsi, who's consulting on the Lions GM search, told the Free Press in November that it was important for him to pair a veteran coach with a first-time GM when he ran the Bears' GM and coaching searches last year.

How much say does Accorsi have at this point? Is his job done now or is he still consulting with Mrs. Ford?

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2016/01/08/detroit-lions-coaches-bob-quinn/78529832/

Hmmm...

How much say does Accorsi have at this point? Is his job done now or is he still consulting with Mrs. Ford?

He may be the new designated golf cart driver if Quinn is unwilling to do it.

16920806-standard.jpg

If you had to choose between the following 3 for the head coach of the Lions, who would you want?

1. Caldwell

2. New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels

3. New England defensive coordinator Matt Patricia

I will be dumping my 2 season tickets if Caldwell is retained. In talking with fellow holders, I think the Lions may be in for a shock if Caldwell returns...many long time holders are ready to jump ship (particularly if Austin and/or Cooter don't return). Me, personally, I'd hate to give up my seats entering a season with a very easy schedule. Almost any average coach should get 10-11 wins next year. But, with Caldwell I'd only expect 7-8, so I will be gone.

This doesn't make sense. If Caldweii leaves, Cooter and Austin are gone. A new coach is going to bring in his own assistants. If you want Cooter and Austin to stay, then you should root for Caldwell to stay.

.....If you want Cooter and Austin to stay, then you should root for Caldwell to stay.

I don't know what Cooter's contract is with the Lions, but I wonder if Gase would want Cooter in Miami.

If you had to choose between the following 3 for the head coach of the Lions, who would you want?

1. Caldwell

2. New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels

3. New England defensive coordinator Matt Patricia

If choosing Caldwell was a guarantee that I got Austin back, then Caldwell. If not, I'd take McDaniels if I had to choose one of the three. Hue Jackson and Sean McDermott, from a coordinators standpoint, are who I would target.

If Marvin Lewis ends up on the market after that epic meltdown against Pittsburgh, I don't want him.

God no, and they should fire him. I respect him, but that roster is too talented not to go farther at least a time or two

If choosing Caldwell was a guarantee that I got Austin back, then Caldwell. If not, I'd take McDaniels if I had to choose one of the three. Hue Jackson and Sean McDermott, from a coordinators standpoint, are who I would target.

I like having Austin as DC, but he's not any sort of must keep to me. Has he really earned as much praise as he gets? If not Austin, there are guys like Frazier,Pettine and Patricia(as HC) who could be optoins to be running our defense next year.

I'm a fan of keeping Cooter more so. He has less of a track record, but I just hate the idea of losing a guy our QB seems to have a comfort level with. I think that's valuable and probably not as easily replaceable as you might think. Hopefully a new HC and OC would at least try and build around the ideas that Cooter had some success with.

In my lifetime, we've been through this countless times. Bottom line? It make no freaking difference. Keep them all, fire them all, it doesn't matter. The end result is the same. The Lions are going to suck. Always did and always will. There is no hope for this hapless team, ever. Move them to L.A. and we'll at least have another west coast team to laugh at.

But I'm sure with yet another change of management we'll be hearing about how things are going to change now and we're going to have a winner here in Motown. Here's a heads up people, the Lions are going to suck no matter who the GM is, no matter who the coaches are and no matter who we draft. Being negative? No sir, being realistic.

In my lifetime, we've been through this countless times. Bottom line? It make no freaking difference. Keep them all, fire them all, it doesn't matter. The end result is the same. The Lions are going to suck. Always did and always will. There is no hope for this hapless team, ever. Move them to L.A. and we'll at least have another west coast team to laugh at.

But I'm sure with yet another change of management we'll be hearing about how things are going to change now and we're going to have a winner here in Motown. Here's a heads up people, the Lions are going to suck no matter who the GM is, no matter who the coaches are and no matter who we draft. Being negative? No sir, being realistic.

Then why do you bother posting? It seems like there are better things for you to do with your time if you feel this way.