RedRamage

How likely is it that Caldwell comes back?

What do you think the percentage is that Caldwell is the Lions coach opening day 2016  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the percentage is that Caldwell is the Lions coach opening day 2016

• 0-20%
    • 21-40%
    • 41-60%
    • 61-80%
    • 81-100%

What your opinion on it?

Personally, I'm leaning towards Caldwell returning. I don't know if that's the right move or not... I tend to think I'd prefer a replacement coach. But I fear that by the time the Lions find there next GM the good coaching names will be most gone.

*IF* that's the case when the GM is hired, then I think it makes more sense to retain Caldwell for at least one more year rather than settle for a guy that they may not be super high on, but he happens to be the best option still out there.

It kinda stinks cause, but it's the nature of the beast. You can't really look at GMs during the season as most good candidates are on other teams payrolls and they aren't going to let you hire a guy away from you mid-season. And you don't want to rush the GM hire either.

It's better to write off 2016 with a bad coach that you could then let go after the season than to rush the GM and/or coaching hire and end up with questionable guys for the next 3-5 years.

At first I thought the only reason they were keeping him around was the human aspect of it since the season was lost. No Lions head coaches (I don't count Jauron since he was only interim I believe) lately have ever been hired as a HC again. It isn't a very desirable job. I thought firing Caldwell midway through the season would show potential candidates that not only is it not a desirable job but you're risking getting fired halfway through your only bad season after taking the team to the playoffs the year before. It shows a lack of stability. By waiting they could say the new GM just wanted his own guy which I think mitigates that.

But now we have the team ending on high notes with Stafford looking good, the reason Caldwell was supposedly brought in. The players are very vocal about him staying. I know players did it for Schwartz and tend to do it for any floundering coach, but this feels much more real than in the past. For all his faults the players really respect him. The team can point to if the refs hadn't missed the batted ball or given the facemask penalty the Lions would be a five seed in the playoffs.

I think he's staying, I voted 81-100%. Which I think is a mistake. He held onto Lombardi far, far too long when it was obvious he wasn't a good coordinator. I'm still not convinced that he wasn't pressured into the decision. He makes far too many baffling decisions. The hail mary (playing for laterals AND not having Calvin out there), going way too conservative any time they have the lead, etc. I think he called a timeout when they didn't have one at one point? A constant theme this season seemed to be not having enough guys on the field at some key points. I just don't have much confidence in his X's and O's or his ability to adapt in game. Maybe this is the poison fruit from that San Diego game I attended, but man that really soured me early on. It is a shame since he seems like he can command respect and get his players to play for him even when the season is lost which I can respect.

The one good thing is that Cooter and Austin are more likely to stick with the team if they don't bring in a new head coach, that is if Austin doesn't get his own HC job. I'm a big Austin fan and I think these two seasons have shown he can work with what he's given and I'm excited for him to get Levy back. I know Cooter is well respected, him and Stafford have a good relationship, and he seemed to be able to get the offense to click a bit when they were lost. But still... Caldwell is not an exciting guy to keep around that's for sure.

The one good thing is that Cooter and Austin are more likely to stick with the team if they don't bring in a new head coach, ...

I think it is safe to say a new GM is more likely to keep on a head coach who is there when he arrives than any new Head Coach is likely to keep any of the previous assistants.

Firing a GM mid season is kind of a unique situation isn't it? I honestly don't know. It might happen more than I remember because it's not the type of thing to dominate the news for an extended period of time.

I'm curious what the history is for other teams that have done this, and what happened with the coach who was still under contract.

When Millen was fired and Mayhew was promoted, there was no postseason GM hiring process.

I could easily see the new GM keeping Caldwell around for at least next year and getting a new coach after 2016 if necessary.

Unless there is a "no brainer" coaching option out there, I wouldn't think a new GM wouldn't want to rock the boat too much when he comes in. Having the old coach still there will likely give him a free pass if next year turns into a dumpster fire for the Lions. He then can bring in the guy he wants. If the Lions turn it around, he looks even better for keeping him.

I read this a few months ago, and it is likely just a dream scenario, but if the Lions could some how swing a guy like Harbaugh, I think we could see a legit SB threat in a season or two. I know, I like kool aid!!

Ian Rapoport discusses John Harbaugh, future Detroit Lions moves

What your opinion on it?

Personally, I'm leaning towards Caldwell returning. I don't know if that's the right move or not... I tend to think I'd prefer a replacement coach. But I fear that by the time the Lions find there next GM the good coaching names will be most gone.

*IF* that's the case when the GM is hired, then I think it makes more sense to retain Caldwell for at least one more year rather than settle for a guy that they may not be super high on, but he happens to be the best option still out there.

It kinda stinks cause, but it's the nature of the beast. You can't really look at GMs during the season as most good candidates are on other teams payrolls and they aren't going to let you hire a guy away from you mid-season. And you don't want to rush the GM hire either.

It's better to write off 2016 with a bad coach that you could then let go after the season than to rush the GM and/or coaching hire and end up with questionable guys for the next 3-5 years.

I agree with this. I think that Austin is likely to get a HC gig, and it could be with the Lions, but odds are better that Caldwell returns because the best options have already signed with other teams by the time they hire a new GM.

DOesn't look like there is an opening that Austin is likely to get IMO. He's qualified, but its a numbers game. All it takes is one though.

I agree with this. I think that Austin is likely to get a HC gig, and it could be with the Lions, but odds are better that Caldwell returns because the best options have already signed with other teams by the time they hire a new GM.

Sheldon White will be announced as team GM by Monday.

PREDICTION - Teryl Austin to Tampa Bay

PREDICTION - Adam Gase to Miami

PREDICTION - Chip Kelly to San Francisco 49ers

PREDICTION - Jim Tressel to Cleveland Browns (or maybe Jim Leyland)

PREDICTION - Josh McDaniels to Tennesee Titans

PREDICTION - Hue Jackson to NY Giants

PREDICTION - Ben McAdoo to Philadelphia

Firing a GM mid season is kind of a unique situation isn't it? I honestly don't know. It might happen more than I remember because it's not the type of thing to dominate the news for an extended period of time.

I'm curious what the history is for other teams that have done this, and what happened with the coach who was still under contract.

When Millen was fired and Mayhew was promoted, there was no postseason GM hiring process.

I could easily see the new GM keeping Caldwell around for at least next year and getting a new coach after 2016 if necessary.

I saw an article, I think it was probably from Florio, where they stated that most new GM's in this case keep the coach.

This is what I keep falling back too... Unless the new GM gets hired asap AND he's been around the league enough to have a good idea on what coach options are out there and what he'd like to see I just don't think there's going to be a good shot at getting a good name.

Assuming that Caldwell is at least close to what the new GM sees as a via option, I really think Caldwell had a very good shot at being here in 2016.

The downsides of keeping Caldwell are two-fold in my opinion:

#1: If Caldwell fails in 2016, people will be pointing at the new GM who decided to keep him. BUT, he can dismiss some of that by saying: "We didn't have time to interview and replace the whole staff, plus he finished 2015 strong. It was best option for the Lions to give him one more year to prove himself."

#2: The 2016 draft will be Caldwell players. This one probably will be a bigger long term problem. If the Lions draft players that Caldwell wants/likes in 2016 but then they replace him for 2017, will those players work as well in the new coach's system?

DOesn't look like there is an opening that Austin is likely to get IMO. He's qualified, but its a numbers game. All it takes is one though.

One negative aspect of the Rooney rule comes into play here... How much of interest in Austin do you think might be to check off that box?

Over all I think the Rooney rule is probably a good idea, but I'd really like to see that rule applied to the coordinator level, more so than to the HC level. I mean obviously it can be applied to both position levels but if I had to pick one level or the other I suspect it would do more long term good at the coordinator level than at the HC level.

This is what I keep falling back too... Unless the new GM gets hired asap AND he's been around the league enough to have a good idea on what coach options are out there and what he'd like to see I just don't think there's going to be a good shot at getting a good name.

Assuming that Caldwell is at least close to what the new GM sees as a via option, I really think Caldwell had a very good shot at being here in 2016.

The downsides of keeping Caldwell are two-fold in my opinion:

#1: If Caldwell fails in 2016, people will be pointing at the new GM who decided to keep him. BUT, he can dismiss some of that by saying: "We didn't have time to interview and replace the whole staff, plus he finished 2015 strong. It was best option for the Lions to give him one more year to prove himself."

#2: The 2016 draft will be Caldwell players. This one probably will be a bigger long term problem. If the Lions draft players that Caldwell wants/likes in 2016 but then they replace him for 2017, will those players work as well in the new coach's system?

I don't see number 2 as a problem. Caldwell is a voice in the room but he still works for the GM.

He'll get the Tampa Bay job.

This, and another aspect from the GMs standpoint is that for any guy that has a previous strong relationship with some other coach, it's not even going to be about Caldwell at all, it would just be a matter of a GM wanting to bring in someone with whom he already knew he would be comfortable.

So to go back to the original question of the thread, at this point the best way to evaluate the odds of Caldwell staying is to look at how many of the GM candidates already have that kind of relationship with a guy that could be available.

Caldwell's not going anywhere.

I'm getting the same feeling. Caldwell for “one more year” under a new GM… I know others here are okay with it but I’ve never been a fan of lame duck head coaches.

I also don't get the appeal of Gase. He led a 21st ranked offense for a 6-10 NFC North bottom-dweller. The last thing the Lions need right now is another rookie head coach

I'm getting the same feeling. Caldwell for “one more year” under a new GM… I know others here are okay with it but I’ve never been a fan of lame duck head coaches.

I also don't get the appeal of Gase. He led a 21st ranked offense for a 6-10 NFC North bottom-dweller. The last thing the Lions need right now is another rookie head coach

Gase turned around Jay Cutler and made him an average QB. He's a miracle worker.

I will be dumping my 2 season tickets if Caldwell is retained. In talking with fellow holders, I think the Lions may be in for a shock if Caldwell returns...many long time holders are ready to jump ship (particularly if Austin and/or Cooter don't return). Me, personally, I'd hate to give up my seats entering a season with a very easy schedule. Almost any average coach should get 10-11 wins next year. But, with Caldwell I'd only expect 7-8, so I will be gone.

I still think it will be Miami.

I will be dumping my 2 season tickets if Caldwell is retained. In talking with fellow holders, I think the Lions may be in for a shock if Caldwell returns...many long time holders are ready to jump ship (particularly if Austin and/or Cooter don't return). Me, personally, I'd hate to give up my seats entering a season with a very easy schedule. Almost any average coach should get 10-11 wins next year. But, with Caldwell I'd only expect 7-8, so I will be gone.

Not trying to single you out here azzurri (which of course means that that just what I'm about to do), but I'd be interested to see if you, or the others, actually follow through with this if Caldwell returns. I mean I still sat and watched at least most of every game this year. I know some people have given up on the Lions for good, but I don't know if I ever could.

That said, you hit on my biggest fear: Caldwell comes back but Austin and Cooter don't. I have a relatively low opinion of Caldwell, but a somewhat higher opinion of the two coordinators. I'm sure I'm effected by LFED* but I feel like these two guys could be good coaches who could get things moving in the right direction.

May the best case scenario is Caldwell is gone, Austin takes over as HC, Cooter remains at OC. But the likelihood of that happening is about zero.

*LFED, Lions Fan Evaluation Disorder (often pronounced le-FED): A condition in which a Lions fan over-estimates the skill of a player, coach, GM, or even the Mascot because the current individual happens to be better that his/her predecessor. The condition exists because the Lions have been so bad for so long that even mediocrity appears to be stellar in comparison to what the fan is used to seeing.

I hope Caldwell returns in part because I want the lions to call azurri's bluff.

I call ********. He made a couple really bad calls/no calls this year. He is not horrid.