Nastradamus

Offseason thread 2016

If you wanted to ding Mayhew's record for this one, I'd get it, but its not one of his bigger mistakes IMO. Yes, it would have been nice to not restructure him, but the old rookie scale screwed us and he had a fan base demanding wins ASAP. I'm not sure it was the wisest long term decision, but he probably gets fired 2 years ago if he doesn't do it. Tough call.

His 3 biggest failures IMO

1. Donald. Unquestionably

2. Legarrette Blount/Mikel Leshoure - I see this as one move. He took Tim Toone(who?) with I believe the last pick of the draft, or close, when Blount was viewed as a highly talented player who was falling for character reasons. I get passing on guys like that, but not in the late 7th. Especially when the next year you take a different, less talented, troubled power back and spend a 3rd and 4th to do it.

3. Probably Titus over Randall Cobb. I mention Cobb specifically because I had him as the 20th best player in that draft.

HM - Letting Avril walk, which you could also choose to list as paying Calvin over Avril.

Any one of those moves could have arguably saved his job IMO. Suh too probably, but again, tough situation.

The Ebron pick was the single worse pick that I can remember a Lions GM making, and that includes Millen. And I'm talking foresight too. That draft was the deepest draft for receievers ever(which is essentially what Ebron is). If they wanted another pass catching threat they could've easily gotten one later.

Again I'm talking foresight, some of these guys haven't panned out yet, but just talking at the time of the draft. He passed up Donald obviously, he passed up a suppose stud OT in Lewan, two great corners in Denard and Fuller, a safety in Clinton-Dix and a stud LB in Mosley. All of those were positions of need, and he passed on them for a receiver when the draft was loaded with them. It was inexcusable.

If you wanted to ding Mayhew's record for this one, I'd get it, but its not one of his bigger mistakes IMO. Yes, it would have been nice to not restructure him, but the old rookie scale screwed us and he had a fan base demanding wins ASAP. I'm not sure it was the wisest long term decision, but he probably gets fired 2 years ago if he doesn't do it. Tough call.

His 3 biggest failures IMO

1. Donald. Unquestionably

2. Legarrette Blount/Mikel Leshoure - I see this as one move. He took Tim Toone(who?) with I believe the last pick of the draft, or close, when Blount was viewed as a highly talented player who was falling for character reasons. I get passing on guys like that, but not in the late 7th. Especially when the next year you take a different, less talented, troubled power back and spend a 3rd and 4th to do it.

3. Probably Titus over Randall Cobb. I mention Cobb specifically because I had him as the 20th best player in that draft.

HM - Letting Avril walk, which you could also choose to list as paying Calvin over Avril.

Any one of those moves could have arguably saved his job IMO. Suh too probably, but again, tough situation.

Leshoure probably would have been a stud, without tearing his Achilles. But really you can second guess decisions like this for every GM. Talent evaluation is an inexact science. You'll be able to do it with Quinn also. They all will make decisions that, in retrospect, look like failures.

The Ebron pick was the single worse pick that I can remember a Lions GM making, and that includes Millen......

Let's say CJ retires and Ebron steps up big time next season with 1500+ yards receiving and 10+ TDs, would you still feel this way?

Let's say CJ retires and Ebron steps up big time next season with 1500+ yards receiving and 10+ TDs, would you still feel this way?

In foresight yes. OBJ, Benjamin, Cooks, Jarvis Landry, Martavias Bryant, Safarian-Jenkins, Jordan Matthews and Allen Robinson were all to be had in that draft and all either have or are capable of putting up those numbers. That draft was just loaded with receivers. There was simply no reason to draft one that early with the guys still available on the board.

The Pettigrew pick was an epic blunder too. We needed talent at literally every position on the field except probably Kicker with Hanson and Left Tackle with Backus. We could have had Alex Mack, Ray Maualuga, Vontae Davis, Clay Matthews, Jarius Byrd. I remember at the time wanting one of Michael Oher (bust), Peria Jerry (bust), Louis Delmas (solid for a while), Davis, Mack or Maualuga and instead we picked a blocking Tight End with terrible hands.

Pettigrew probably had a better career than 4/6 guys you named. I don't consider Pettigrew a bust. Not a pick you go out and brag about as GM, but not a bust or blunder by any means. We're talking a 6 year starter and while his hands have issues, he caught 280 balls over his first 5 years including 71 an 83 catch seasons. PFF has never liked his blocking a ton, but seemingly every coach who has ever come across him has valued his blocking and we've seen the offense miss it when he's hurt, so I have a hard time believing he isn't a relatively strong blocker as well.

I talked myself into Ebron, but always had Donald rated higher(6th overall, in a loaded top 10, with an elite grade).

So to me, not taking Donald is the real mistake. Ebron has been disappointing, but he still has a decent chance to be good value for the draft slot.

If I remember right I think I really wanted Dennard or Donald. I also really liked Mosley. But my issue isn't so much Ebron, he could turn out to be decent, my issue is that even going into the draft it was hyped as being the deepest for pass catchers ever. And outside of QB, at that time, receiving was probably our most set position. Yet despite being a deep draft for them, and despite us having way more pressing needs he still took Ebron.

If I remember right I think I really wanted Dennard or Donald. I also really liked Mosley. But my issue isn't so much Ebron, he could turn out to be decent, my issue is that even going into the draft it was hyped as being the deepest for pass catchers ever. And outside of QB, at that time, receiving was probably our most set position. Yet despite being a deep draft for them, and despite us having way more pressing needs he still took Ebron.

What they thought/think Ebron can be though, is pretty rare and we are seeing it be a big difference maker for a lot of teams. Jordan Reed, Eifert, Kelce, Olsen etc.(Gronk is his own thing). These guys are tough for a defense to cover and it appeared to be the one last thing our offense didn't have. That's been my main defense of the pick.

Pettigrew probably had a better career than 4/6 guys you named. I don't consider Pettigrew a bust. Not a pick you go out and brag about as GM, but not a bust or blunder by any means. We're talking a 6 year starter and while his hands have issues, he caught 280 balls over his first 5 years including 71 an 83 catch seasons. PFF has never liked his blocking a ton, but seemingly every coach who has ever come across him has valued his blocking and we've seen the offense miss it when he's hurt, so I have a hard time believing he isn't a relatively strong blocker as well.

Everyone praises his blocking, but the results don't lie. They've basically never had success running the ball with or without him. If anything they had a couple of their better running days this season after he went out for the year. Seems like one of those cases where he works really hard and doesn't get many opportunities to catch so blocking is the area where a coach can praise him

My anecdotal viewpoint is that we struggle up front more when he's out. I could be wrong though.

Pettigrew's receiving skills have dropped off, but I think his biggest value was that when he was lined up, it didn't tip the defense to whether you were running or throwing. We ran into that a lot this year using guys like Ebron(as traditional TE),Lucas and Wright.

Edited by Nastradamus

Everyone praises his blocking, but the results don't lie. They've basically never had success running the ball with or without him. If anything they had a couple of their better running days this season after he went out for the year. Seems like one of those cases where he works really hard and doesn't get many opportunities to catch so blocking is the area where a coach can praise him

Not any fan of Pettigrew - he's not a name that keeps opposing DCs awake at night worrying about their schemes :wink:

but just TBF, it's a tough call to put much of the blame for the Lion's poor running game at TE when they have never had much/any discernible quality at any of the other 5 blocking positions for a good TE to create synergy with.

Edited by Gehringer_2

What they thought/think Ebron can be though, is pretty rare and we are seeing it be a big difference maker for a lot of teams. Jordan Reed, Eifert, Kelce, Olsen etc.(Gronk is his own thing). These guys are tough for a defense to cover and it appeared to be the one last thing our offense didn't have. That's been my main defense of the pick.

It's not really a rare skill if you can list five guys off the top of your head, picked at draft slot 85, 21, 63, 31, 42, respectively, who fill that role.

Note that the Lions picked two inferior players for this role at slots 20 and 10, six years apart.

The Lions are like the guy who has never had any luck with girls, and who loses control the moment he sees a girl who might give him the time of day. Just be cool, dude. There are plenty of fish in the NFL Draft.

Lots of revisionist history in this post.

I didn't like the Ebron pick at the time and still don't. That being said. Receving was hardly a set area. Yes we did sign Golden Tate, but nobody expected to do what he did in 2014. Do you remember the talk of us drafting Watkins?

And DT wasn't a huge need. It could have been on the horizon, but the team probably had reasonable suspicion it would resign one of Suh or Farley. DT is not a position where you need a ton of depth because multiple guys play large amount of snaps. So if we drafted Donald we are using a top 10 pick with a new coach on a backup with the idea we might lose one of two starters (turns out we lost both) in 2015.

It's not really a rare skill if you can list five guys off the top of your head, picked at draft slot 85, 21, 63, 31, 42, respectively, who fill that role.

Note that the Lions picked two inferior players for this role at slots 20 and 10, six years apart.

The Lions are like the guy who has never had any luck with girls, and who loses control the moment he sees a girl who might give him the time of day. Just be cool, dude. There are plenty of fish in the NFL Draft.

I'd argue that there being only 10ish guys capable of playing a particular role in the entire NFL most certainly makes i a rare skill

I didn't like the Ebron pick at the time and still don't. That being said. Receving was hardly a set area. Yes we did sign Golden Tate, but nobody expected to do what he did in 2014. Do you remember the talk of us drafting Watkins?

And DT wasn't a huge need. It could have been on the horizon, but the team probably had reasonable suspicion it would resign one of Suh or Farley. DT is not a position where you need a ton of depth because multiple guys play large amount of snaps. So if we drafted Donald we are using a top 10 pick with a new coach on a backup with the idea we might lose one of two starters (turns out we lost both) in 2015.

We had the best receiver in the league and Golden Gate signed long term. What other position besides qb looked

Better than that then?

With respect to your second point, the failure of Mayhew isn't necessarily not taking Donald, it is mishandling the Suh situation to the point where Donald was needed, then not taking him. It's hard to expect the fan (myself included) to be able to understand and forsee the looming issue that Suh was bringing, but it is exactly what I expect my front office to know.

I'd argue that there being only 10ish guys capable of playing a particular role in the entire NFL most certainly makes i a rare skill

Hard to say. At WR, yes. but thats 1/3 of the starting pass catching TEs in the league. But maybe. I don't hate Ebron, and think he could be a nice piece. He took big strides this year. What irked me on the pick is it came immediately after extending pettigrew, who is the same role. When the team had other needs. I fell Ebron, so far, hasn't been better than Pettigrew was in the role.

Donald probably would have started over Fairley immediately. It would also have allowed them to not have to trade assets for an aging Ngata.

And it would have given them a great player. Not drafting Donald didn't make a lot of sense.

But you're correct that there was an argument at the time that the Lions needed another receiver. Being the Lions, they picked the wrong one.

Jimmy Graham, pick 95; Martellus Bennett, pick 61; Jason Witten, pick 69; Antonio Gates, undrafted; Delanie Walker, pick 175; Heath Miller, pick 30; Julius Thomas, pick 129; Kyle Rudolph, pick 43.

Going back to the other post, and excluding Pettigrew and Ebron, that's 13 solid players at the TE position (including at least two HOF players), average spot selected: 82.

You just don't pick a TE before the bottom of the second round.

Of course it was, they had 2 pending free agents and weren't going to sign both and the chances of signing one was 50/50 at best. If they passed on Donald because they thought for sure that they would re-sign Suh and/or Fairley then that's an epic blunder and the height of stupidity.

The problem with Ebron is that he's a pass catcher who can't catch. His drop rate even in college was alarmingly bad but Mayhew fell in love with the physical skills so he figured that he would swing for a homerun instead of taking the safe pick in Donald. Hell, if he wanted to hit a homerun, why not draft Beckham who was rising on every draft board and always had great hands? I never liked the Ebron pick, just couldn't ignore the drop rate. He did play better this season but still had a case of the dropsies.

The same issue existed with Abdullah in college but at least that was a 2nd rounder where you ideally take a guy like that. His pro career will be a short one if he can't hold onto the ball either.

Of course it was, they had 2 pending free agents and weren't going to sign both and the chances of signing one was 50/50 at best. If they passed on Donald because they thought for sure that they would re-sign Suh and/or Fairley then that's an epic blunder and the height of stupidity.

I don't disagree with this overall thought, today. But, at that time the lions probably felt the odds of bringing at least one back were way better than 50/50.

I don't disagree with this overall thought, today. But, at that time the lions probably felt the odds of bringing at least one back were way better than 50/50.

They could have brought Fairly back but they didn't tender him the fifth year on his deal. So they obviously didn't want him back. That leaves Suh, who they should have known wanted the biggest deal possible.

They knew they were losing Fairley at the minimum because they didn't offer him the extra year. That alone indicates they should have drafted Donald as a fall back (and a great player).

Does anyone see quin starting to draft for a 3-4 defense.

New England has typically run a lot of 3-4/or a hybrid 4-3. Plus Austin is very familiar with the 3-4.

It might be done in a year but maybe take two for a full transition. Have some good players for it in anash(think Chandler Jones). Taylor is a bigger end and some of the linebackers could switch easily as well (Whitehead and maybe even get something out of Van Noy)