Jump to content

Nastradamus

Offseason thread 2016

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, hardyaf said:

Just curious, not talking about 5 years ago Forte vs 5 years ago Calvin since football has changed so much since even then, but if you had a choice to have 24 year old Calvin vs 24 year old Forte now, who would you choose? I would choose Forte, and it really isn't close.

Well that's absurd to me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would take calvin johnson over matt forte in a heartbeat.  Johnson was a unique weapon in a passing league. A great player. Forte was a very good player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

Well that's absurd to me

That is kind of nuts to say IMO.  I can understand someone maybe wanting Forte over CJ, but to say it is not even close is where the absurd factor comes into play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buddha said:

I would take calvin johnson over matt forte in a heartbeat.  Johnson was a unique weapon in a passing league. A great player. Forte was a very good player.

Yup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, PuNk42AE said:

Err well, Foster signing with the Phins

P'wned.... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

P'wned.... :)

For the contract Foster received, I'm glad the Lions passed. Foster has shown he is always injured. While not a lot 1.5 million will go a long way in extending contracts of the current good Lions players like slay and ziggy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

For the contract Foster received, I'm glad the Lions passed. Foster has shown he is always injured. While not a lot 1.5 million will go a long way in extending contracts of the current good Lions players like slay and ziggy.

I don't think they passed as much as they were just going to look at him due to "due dilligence".  I doubt they would have made the same offer, he's essentially filling the Riddick role in Miami.  He would have competed for 3rd or 4th back here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I am not understanding how doing due diligence and deciding you aren't interested is somehow different than passing on the thing in question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

I don't think they passed as much as they were just going to look at him due to "due dilligence".  I doubt they would have made the same offer, he's essentially filling the Riddick role in Miami.  He would have competed for 3rd or 4th back here.

He would have competed with Zenner and Ridley for the power back role. Call it whatever number you like I guess. I'm fine not getting him though. He has missed a ton of games an d averaged like 2 ypc last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We signed DE Quanterrus Smith. I had a bit of a draft crush on him, but he's been a practice squad guy so far. Worth a shot type

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2016 at 10:35 AM, Nastradamus said:

Well that's absurd to me

Why is that absurd? Even if you argue Calvin is the best WR of his era (which I'm not refuting), teams with star WRs don't win Superbowls. You have to go back really to 2007 and Marvin Harrison? I'd argue its because quality WRs right now are abundant. The drop off from calvin to a player like Demarious Thomas or Golden Tate isn't that large, especially if it means you can have 2 of them. Positional value plays more into it for me. 

Edit: really I am talking positional scarcity, not positional value. There are so many good WRs, that it really devalues the great ones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, hardyaf said:

Why is that absurd? Even if you argue Calvin is the best WR of his era (which I'm not refuting), teams with star WRs don't win Superbowls. You have to go back really to 2007 and Marvin Harrison? I'd argue its because quality WRs right now are abundant. The drop off from calvin to a player like Demarious Thomas or Golden Tate isn't that large, especially if it means you can have 2 of them. Positional value plays more into it for me. 

Edit: really I am talking positional scarcity, not positional value. There are so many good WRs, that it really devalues the great ones. 

Oh, I forgot is the era where RBs are both super important and also scarce........

Come on man, position aside, CJ is just too far ahead of Forte. Look at what they respectively got paid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

Lions are signing Boldin to a one year deal, seems like the last few WR spots are pretty crowded.

Nice, add more WR depth, let them battle it out.  This team is better than last year, by a wide margin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2016 at 8:17 AM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I guess I am not understanding how doing due diligence and deciding you aren't interested is somehow different than passing on the thing in question.

Just getting a workout in, showing his numbers for the Lion's scouts.  Always good to have up to date info.  Just heard AP is still running 4.49-4.55.  Jesus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for Boldin, he was never a speed guy, so he knows what he is.  I don't think he can afford to slow down more, but he goes ahead of Kerley imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really like this signing.  Boldin is still a pretty good player and is certainly an upgrade on the other #3 Lions receiver options.  I'm surprised that he went unsigned this long to be honest despite his advanced age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very solid signing IMO. I've wanted Boldin for a while now. Adds an element of physicality that we don't have right now. Very good hands, for him and our top 3 now. Pretty filthy WR depth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Buddha said:

Beats the dregs at the bottom of the lions receiver corps.

You've gone full anti-Norman offically!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lions finally did norman in.  After years of predicting 13-3 every year, last year's start finally killed him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buddha said:

The lions finally did norman in.  After years of predicting 13-3 every year, last year's start finally killed him.

He was truly all in on Mayhew it appears

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this signing is a bigger deal than it is being made out to be. Cooter's offense is a precision, short passing offense and we have a ton of weapons for such a scheme now. I'd suggest we have 6 different players capable of catching 50 balls, all of them with low drop rates. This is going to be one of the 5 best passing offenses in the NFL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What were Boldin's redzone and short yardage situation stats last year? I would be curious to see how he was used/how he performed in short yardage situations, like the redzone. Given his age and that he has never been a speed guy as Cruzer pointed to, does he still have something left to give in those types of situations? I dig up the stats myself but the work firewall will likely block access.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,669
    • Total Posts
      2,973,736
  • Who's Online (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...