Nastradamus

Offseason thread 2016

Surely nobody can blame anyone for quitting a job due to injuries.

You are correct and possibly saving his future health.

Will the Lions still absorb a cap hit if he retires instead of the Lions just releasing him.?

Surely nobody can blame anyone for quitting a job due to injuries.

Seems like a cop out to me. (and I know that is not the best thing to say) but Steve Smith just signed on for year 37 after blowing out an achilles, Vick played after having his leg exploded same with Palmer. Romo keeps playing. etc. etc.

Calvin hasn't had an injury that has cost him a year, but yet he is so beat up he is gonna retire? I think it's more beat up of losing and wondering why you put yourself though that crap for zero playoff wins.

Will the Lions still absorb a cap hit if he retires instead of the Lions just releasing him.?

Same either way. Save 11 to 14 million.

Seems like a cop out to me. (and I know that is not the best thing to say) but Steve Smith just signed on for year 37 after blowing out an achilles, Vick played after having his leg exploded same with Palmer. Romo keeps playing. etc. etc.

Calvin hasn't had an injury that has cost him a year, but yet he is so beat up he is gonna retire? I think it's more beat up of losing and wondering why you put yourself though that crap for zero playoff wins.

If he wants a playoff win, come back and help the team get one. Walking out with 4 years left on your deal because of nagging injuries is understandable. Pouting and walking out on your team is another. The organization owes him nothing. They've already given him a huge rookie deal and rewarded him with the richest contract ever given to a WR. Things haven't worked out as well as everyone has hoped but he signed the contract.

I personally hope its just a play to try and get Caldwell another year. He probably does not want to go through another coaching change.

We did it to Barry

We're gonna do it to Calvin

At least Suh was smart enough to get out of dodge.

Ridiculous.

Same either way. Save 11 to 14 million.

Thought so...well I guess at least this way we don't have to watch him go tear it up for another team. Doesn't seem like all that bad of a deal since the Lions were thinking about cutting him anyways.

I think Joe Thomas will be a FA. I wouldn't mind adding Thomas and then moving Reiff over to the right side.

I wish he was a free agent and the Lions could sign him but his contract runs through 2018 season.

Joe Thomas Contract

If I had calvin's money I don't think I would continue to play football and risk a serious brain injury.

Me either. These guys are playing Russian roulette with better odds but still taking big chances. He can live a nice long comfortable life with his wife and family. He lived up to his contract and obligations.

Measuring what Suh has done this year, this may have been the greatest gift given to the Detroit Lions in a LONG time. How bad of shape would they be in right now if they gave Suh the money Miami gave him? Especially if he continues with what he has produced under this new contract. I hated to see Suh go, but it looks like it is a GREAT thing for Detroit.

Suh graded out on PFF basically exactly the same as he did the year before with us. People read too many stupid clickbait articles and listen to stupid sports radio personalities. Miami sucked. Suh was a beast, per usual

If he wants a playoff win, come back and help the team get one. Walking out with 4 years left on your deal because of nagging injuries is understandable. Pouting and walking out on your team is another. The organization owes him nothing. They've already given him a huge rookie deal and rewarded him with the richest contract ever given to a WR. Things haven't worked out as well as everyone has hoped but he signed the contract.

I personally hope its just a play to try and get Caldwell another year. He probably does not want to go through another coaching change.

I think he's likely back next year in the end. That ankle injury has been an issue for two years though, so I'm sure he's frustrated.

I don't disagree with most of this.

But you missed my point. The injury thing seems like a cop out too many are just willing to accept without question. There are numerous players older, who have suffered more significant injuries, with just as much money that keep playing. Why is that?

Edited by Keepleyland2

But you missed my point. The injury thing seems like a cop out too many are just willing to accept without question. There are numerous players older, who have suffered more significant injuries, with just as much money that keep playing. Why is that?

What has happened to other players' bodies and what they value in proportion to their injuries has zero relation to Calvin Johnson and his career/injuries/body. These aren't robots with replaceable parts and the exact same career.

"I quit because i feel like the Detroit Lions didn't have a chance to win. It just killed my enjoyment of the game." - Barry Sanders

Deja Vu. Of course we don't know the REAL reasons behind the retirement contemplation but lets be honest, if he was playing for the Patriots or some other winning organization, chances are that he would tough it out for a few more years. This looks like a case AGAIN of the Lions ineptitude pushing out another generational talent too soon.

Maybe it really is due to the piling up of nagging injuries but I've seen this movie play out before and know how it ends.

I will say though that I'm going to really miss watching him play. Only the Lions could have arguably 2 of the best players of all time at their respective positions in 2 different eras and get 1 playoff win out of it.

Suh graded out on PFF basically exactly the same as he did the year before with us. People read too many stupid clickbait articles and listen to stupid sports radio personalities. Miami sucked. Suh was a beast, per usual

Interesting that you would rank him as having a "beast" of a season. I haven't watched him play this year, but I've heard no one describe his season that way. Where would you rank Suh's season among other players this season? Do you think he lived up to his massive contract?

What numerous other players have done have no bearing on what Calvin wants to do or even should do.

And I guess I don't know what Calvin is purportedly copping out to. If he doesn't want to play anymore, he doesn't owe us, or the Lions, a reason that we accept or think is sufficiently acceptable.

The Lions could cut him at any time (and it is possible they would have), so I don't see how him being under contract 4 more years really means much of anything as it pertains to his decision to retire or play.

"I quit because i feel like the Detroit Lions didn't have a chance to win. It just killed my enjoyment of the game." - Barry Sanders

Deja Vu. Of course we don't know the REAL reasons behind the retirement contemplation but lets be honest, if he was playing for the Patriots or some other winning organization, chances are that he would tough it out for a few more years. This looks like a case AGAIN of the Lions ineptitude pushing out another generational talent too soon.

Maybe it really is due to the piling up of nagging injuries but I've seen this movie play out before and know how it ends..

I wouldn't draw any sort of conclusion based in part on what Barry did. There are no shortage of players that played as long as they could for the Lions, so I don't think the Lions are driving players out of football early relative to other teams.

Relatively few players walk away early, and they had their own reasons. Jim Brown left a very good franchise early, for example.

Interesting that you would rank him as having a "beast" of a season. I haven't watched him play this year, but I've heard no one describe his season that way. Where would you rank Suh's season among other players this season? Do you think he lived up to his massive contract?

There is pretty much nothing a DT can do to live up to that kind of money. Just not an important enough position.

There is pretty much nothing a DT can do to live up to that kind of money. Just not an important enough position.

I think you can at least come close to living up to that kind of money if you a beast. But I haven't heard anyone in the media describe his season as being "beast".

He was #2 in tackles and #6 in sacks among DT's, so it sounds like he wasn't as bad as many in the media made his performance this season sound. I didn't watch a single down of his this year, and I watched just about every game of his the previous 3-4 seasons, so I probably am falling into the media's opinion of him. I was just curious why Nastradamus felt like he had a great year in Miami. He obviously has watched him more than I have.

I think you can at least come close to living up to that kind of money if you a beast. But I haven't heard anyone in the media describe his season as being "beast".

He was #2 in tackles and #6 in sacks among DT's, so it sounds like he wasn't as bad as many in the media made his performance this season sound. I didn't watch a single down of his this year, and I watched just about every game of his the previous 3-4 seasons, so I probably am falling into the media's opinion of him. I was just curious why Nastradamus felt like he had a great year in Miami. He obviously has watched him more than I have.

I guess my thing is I can't name the last dominant 4-3 defensive tackle that played for a consistently good team. Geno Atkins? Is he even dominant anymore? Stupid to spend money on that position.

This is just speculation on my part but if Austin is hired as a head coach and the Lions new GM keeps Caldwell, would you be happy with Lovie Smith as the new defensive coordinator of the Lions?

Maybe it really is due to the piling up of nagging injuries but I've seen this movie play out before and know how it ends.

I will say though that I'm going to really miss watching him play. Only the Lions could have arguably 2 of the best players of all time at their respective positions in 2 different eras and get 1 playoff win out of it.

I honestly don't think that Calvin would say these things if he truly was frustrated by the Lions ineptness to the point of retirement. He basically has made himself un-tradable. If he truly wanted to play for a team that has a much better chance at winning a SB in the next few years, I don't think he would do it in this way. IMO, he is beat to crap and doesn't want to limp his way out of the NFL. We'll see if he actually retires, and then probably have to read about his real reasons in an autobiography a few years later.