Nastradamus

Offseason thread 2016

Probably time to make one of these.

Sounds like GM interviews will commence shortly. Who's everyone's favorite?

Seems like Caldwell may be back but hard to say before the GM hire.

Impending FAs of note - Quddus, Ihedigbo,Whitehead,T.Lewis, Walker, Jones, Ngata, Tapp, Moore, Ramirez, Orlovsky, Wilson,Copeland

Likely cuts - Bell,Tulloch,Mathis (hopefully CJ takes the much discussed paycut or he's on this list)

QB - Stafford

RB - Abdullah-Bell* - Riddick - Zenner/Winn

FB - Burton

TE - Pettigrew/Ebron - WRight?

WR - CJ-Tate-Jones-Fuller

OT - Reiff-Ola-Lucas-Robinson

OG - Warford-TOmlinson-Boggs

C - Swanson - Cave

DE - Ansah-Taylor- Webster?

DT - Reid - Wright

LB - Levy-Bynes-Van Noy(could Levy end up at ILB?)

CB - Slay-Diggs-Lawson-Carter

S - Quin

K- Prater

P - Martin

I figure a roster breakdown gives us a good luck at where the holes are.

Looks like we have 20-25 mil in cap space, 10 more if we make the cuts I mentioned and possibly another 5-8 on a Calvin paycut.

Wright is also a FA.

I'm going to indicate my ideal roster assuming some Lions' FA re-signs, but prior to signing other FA's or the draft, to show where I think holes will crop up (plus I'll add some other comments):

QB - Stafford/ FA-Orlovsky (I think DO is a re-sign). I think we draft a developmental QB, but don't see him replacing Orlovsky for at least a year or two. Gotta have some veteran to back up Stafford while in playoff contention. If it's not DO, what are the alternatives?

RB - Abdullah/ Riddick/ Zenner/ I also think Bell may be released, although maybe not until after a replacement is identified. Pencil in Winn (cheap re-sign) and Bell... at least for now. But I'm not going to do it in BOLD.

FB - Burton

TE - Pettigrew/ Ebron This is a good position to draft and develop a replacement. For Pettigrew. A good blocker that can also catch some. 4th or 5th rounder here, unless there's a not-expensive FA we can sign. Actually, if a cheap/ productive enough FA is available, we could do both (draft and FA) and let go Pettigrew. I don't see that happening though.

WR - CJ/ Tate/ Jones/ FA-Fuller I think Fuller is a cheap re-sign that the Lions will do for depth and to give him 1 more chance. I don't think they re-sign Moore, but will draft a deep threat somewhere in the 2nd-to-5th round range to provide some WR competition.

OT - Reiff/ Ola/ Lucas/ Robinson. I'm going to be huge on drafting Ronnie Stanley all the way here. Even if we have to trade up.

OG - Warford/ Tomlinson/ Boggs I think they re-sign Manny Ramirez. Both for depth here, and to give Swanson a serious push. Will list Ramirez at Center. Could spend a late draft pick or two for interior O-Line competition.

C - Swanson/ FA-Ramirez/ Cave

DE - Ansah/ Taylor/ FA-Tapp/ FA-Copeland - Tapp's a FA but I think a priority re-sign for the team, not on talent, but they just love him so much. I think they re-sign FA Copeland too. They might bring back Wootton & Webster for camp depth. I don't know what they really wanna do with Jones. I think it's time to move on... they might think otherwise. I'm putting him low priority for now until we know more...

DT - Reid/ Wright/ FA-Ngata/ FA-Walker - Ngata & Walker are FA's but I think will also be priority re-signs. Maybe a mid-round draft pick to develop here. I don't see this as a priority area, pending FA signings, as others do. Unless a serious talent falls to us in the 2nd, I'm thinking wait until mid-rounds for a depth pick. I'd like A'Shawn Robinson falling to us in the 1st too, but hell-bent on getting Stanley...

LB - Levy/ Bynes/ Van Noy/ FA-Lewis/ FA-Whitehead. The Lions will try to keep their depth here and not lose Lewis or Whitehead. I think Whitehead is a critical re-sign for the team. Otherwise... time to move on from Tulloch.

CB - Slay/ Mathis/ Diggs/ Lawson/ Carter - I don't see the Lions releasing Mathis. He'll still provide veteran leadership for the young guys, and be an excellent fall-back option if injuries occur. I could also see another 2nd-5th round pick spent here to develop.

S - Quin/ FA-Quddus. I think we re-sign Quddus. And not Ihedigbo. But we need some depth here. In the draft, or FA, or both.

K - Prater

P - Martin

LS - FA-Mulbach. He's a FA but a definite re-sign.

So I have 11 of our 22 FA's re-signed at this point.

Tim Wright (TE) is a FA, Gabe Wright (DT) is not.

Yeah... I guess I didn't elucidate.

But Nastradamus had Tim Wright still at TE, and we just drafted Gabe Wright this year, so I sort of took it for granted that everyone knew this...

Tulloch is going to save us a pretty good chunk of change when we cut him so that is nice.

I agree with with what pretty much everybody else is saying...unless CJ restructures, we need to let him go. I would prefer just rolling with Tate as our #1 and then just looking to add depth at receiver rather spend a first round pick to fill the void.

Looking at our team, our cap situation, etc. I think we are set up pretty well where its worth going after 2-3 big name FAs and kind of going all in over the next 2-3 years. We could still re-sign all of our guys, minus Ngata and Ihedigbo(likely gone anyways)

Vernon,Okung and Sean Smith would be my top 3 targets, in that order if they aren't extended or franchised. Vernon would be almost a must sign for me.

Edited by Nastradamus

Calvin considering retirement. According to 97.1 the ticket... Take this for what it's worth. Calvin is supposed to issue a statement later.

Calvin considering retirement. According to 97.1 the ticket... Take this for what it's worth. Calvin is supposed to issue a statement later.

The statement didn't say much, but the tone makes it seem like he's seriously considering it.

calvin can retire gimmie alex mack and joe thomas and call it a day...

Pickup a few WR draft D Line Safety and WR.

I would imagine most guys who have been in the league as long as he has consider it every year. This is a non story IMO. A non story at a time we do not need non stories. Wait until March or something to pull this out. We have playoffs starting in 3 days.

We did it to Barry

We're gonna do it to Calvin

At least Suh was smart enough to get out of dodge.

Not the same.

If the guy has a hard time playing due to injuries and does not want permanently disable himself, then I am glad I was able to watch him.

And Suh chased the money.. Which was evident in his play this past season.

Edited by JAYB

I think Barry felt he accomplished what he wanted to accomplish in the league and playing wasn't fun for him.

Part of that was Lions related, but part of it was Barry wasn't your typical ballplayer in terms of needing to play for validation or competition.

Just my sense of it.

Barry also hinted at not keeping Glover & Brown as part of the reason.

Birkett says he talked to current and former teammates of Calvin and they say it is all injury related which I'm not surprised about. He's made a lot of money why disable yourself.

Suh straight up said he left for money: "I would say money was the most important factor"

I hate to say it, but if Calvin were to retire, I don't think I would carry the same disappointment I had when Barry retired.

I've LOVED Calvin in Detroit, and feel he is hands down the greatest WR I've ever seen in Detroit (arguably the entire NFL in my lifetime, outside of probably Jerry Rice). The past few years seem to have him slowing down a bit, and with what we are paying him, I'd rather see him go out near the top than to fade away.

I think the reason I would still be MUCH more disappointed in Barry's retirement, is because I think he is the greatest RB in the history of the NFL and having the rushing yards record would have helped validate that argument among those who feel Emmitt Smith is the greatest.

At least Suh was smart enough to get out of dodge.

Measuring what Suh has done this year, this may have been the greatest gift given to the Detroit Lions in a LONG time. How bad of shape would they be in right now if they gave Suh the money Miami gave him? Especially if he continues with what he has produced under this new contract. I hated to see Suh go, but it looks like it is a GREAT thing for Detroit.

I hate to say it, but if Calvin were to retire, I don't think I would carry the same disappointment I had when Barry retired.

I've LOVED Calvin in Detroit, and feel he is hands down the greatest WR I've ever seen in Detroit (arguably the entire NFL in my lifetime, outside of probably Jerry Rice). The past few years seem to have him slowing down a bit, and with what we are paying him, I'd rather see him go out near the top than to fade away.

I think the reason I would still be MUCH more disappointed in Barry's retirement, is because I think he is the greatest RB in the history of the NFL and having the rushing yards record would have helped validate that argument among those who feel Emmitt Smith is the greatest.

For me, the argument would be there independent of the rushing yards record.

As a sidebar, my sense of it is I think most people were disappointed because he walked away unexpectedly and unceremoniously at the start of training camp.

A big part of it was the manner in which Sander retired too. Last minute, right before training camp opened. Kinda put the Lions in a bind.

I can't really blame CJ if he retires because of injuries. I hope though, if he does retire, he gives the Lions as much time to prepare as possible.

As has been noted, Barry was a different dude. Also, there was much old baggage between him and his father around football so that things or something that looked trivial to us may have had much larger psychological significance in Barry's thinking.