Shinma

1/3/16. Lions at Bears. Week 17. 1:05pm, FOX.

I have noticed that Stafford has been in rhythm more the past 8 weeks. They are not asking him to go downfield as much, and taking what the defense gives them. Running a lot of screens, especially to receivers. Everybody has been pressing Megatron, the Lions haven't been able to exploit that as much. His ankle must have been really bad, but he was much better today. I would keep him, and bite the bullet on the large bill for next year.

Stafford attempted the fewest passes of his career since starting full time. He also had the most rushing attempts of his career. It seems like he's making better decisions and running and picking up a few yards instead of firing the ball downfield into coverage.

That's probably part of it, but the past eight games combined have probably been Stafford's best of his career. In the past, the Lions have played easier competition for a number of games in a row and Stafford has never looked this good.

Could this be the end?

-b970e6856611d8a3.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Stafford and have never been on the trade him bandwagon but we need to be cautious with reading too much into this hot stretch. It's a lot easier to put up numbers when there's no pressure to win and the competition is easier.

What a waste it would be if the Stafford/CJ era ended in no playoff wins.

I'm 50/50 on what to do with CJ. He can still be a dominant player and is still the Lions best playmaker but he's at the age where his play can really fall off a cliff any year now and they could really save a lot of cap space to address other needs and sell high with him so I don't know. It'll be the toughest decision of the offseason for the new GM.

........can really fall off a cliff any year now and they could really save a lot of cap space to address other needs and sell high with him so I don't know. It'll be the toughest decision of the offseason for the new GM.

Is there really anyone willing to trade for CJ given that the Lions may have to cut him anyway?

......the past eight games combined have probably been Stafford's best of his career...

He's just a fraction off the previous best QBR of his career, so considering what a wreck the 1st seven games were, yes it has been a hell of a second half.

Is there really anyone willing to trade for CJ given that the Lions may have to cut him anyway?

Why would the Lions cut him? He's still one of the better receivers in the game. Of course he still has value, not as much as would have had 2 years ago but I'm sure there's a bunch of teams who would jump at the chance to get him. There's still some gas left in the tank.

Why would the Lions cut him? He's still one of the better receivers in the game. Of course he still has value, not as much as would have had 2 years ago but I'm sure there's a bunch of teams who would jump at the chance to get him. There's still some gas left in the tank.

$24 million cap hit

$24 million cap hit

I get that and it's a hard contract to move but I've gotta think that some team with tons of cap space and a big need for a playmaker would be wiling to part with some draft picks for him.

Renegotiate it. I wouldn't cut him.

If CJ has a chance to sign with anyone(winning franchise) after getting cut, do you think he would renegotiate with the Lions?

Much easier competition, it's as simple as that.

This.

Go look at the defensive ranks of the teams they beat, they're pathetic. New Orleans has one of the worst pass defenses this year the NFL has ever seen.

Stafford and the rest offense cant beat real NFL defenses. It's been that way for years and probably why they have trouble winning...

I get that and it's a hard contract to move but I've gotta think that some team with tons of cap space and a big need for a playmaker would be wiling to part with some draft picks for him.

Trading CJ and Stafford would be the best thing for the franchise. Cant continue to have 2 guys take up a huge chunk of your cap with little to nothing to show for it. Time to go in a different direction, rather than the same old same old. Whats the definition in insanity, again?...

Use that 20+ million $$$ in savings to pump resources in the D to get it back to the 2014 level that carried this team to 11 wins.

Trading CJ and Stafford would be the best thing for the franchise. Cant continue to have 2 guys take up a huge chunk of your cap with little to nothing to show for it. Time to go in a different direction, rather than the same old same old. Whats the definition in insanity, again?...

Use that 20+ million $$$ in savings to pump resources in the D to get it back to the 2014 level that carried this team to 11 wins.

thats the dumbest thing I've ever read...

Why on earth would they trade stafford?????

Rework CJ Contact he will 100% nobody is going to pay a 30 year old WR 20+ mill.

Get Levy Back, Slay and Lawson have another year, draft some O Line first 2 rounds and Middle D line 3 and 4 to go along with ziggy and taylor and take a run at it next year.....

2016 is the Lions the lions win a playoff game. Can't wait to quote this in a year!

If CJ has a chance to sign with anyone(winning franchise) after getting cut, do you think he would renegotiate with the Lions?

He's under contract with the Lions and can't sign with anyone else. If he doesn't want to renegotiate, you just take the cap hit. Anyway, the Lions can make it better for him financially by renegotiating.

I struggle with the idea that Stafford's improvement is solely due to weaker competition.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, but it seems unlikely to me.

Alternatively, what do we expect elite qbs would put up against that weaker competition in aggregate? Weaker qbs?

He's under contract with the Lions and can't sign with anyone else. If he doesn't want to renegotiate, you just take the cap hit. Anyway, the Lions can make it better for him financially by renegotiating.

Not only that, but is there a better situation for him in the NFL than the Lions?

It is easy to say play for a winning franchise (regarding the post you responded to), but do any of those franchises covet him for the money he would likely get in Detroit by renegotiating?

Again, not saying it isn't possible, but match the team and cap space and it is a better argument for me.

So if the Lions keep Johnson, they take a $24 million dollar cap hit unless he renegotiates. You guys are OK with that given that he is an aging WR with his best years behind him?

So if the Lions keep Johnson, they take a $24 million dollar cap hit unless he renegotiates. You guys are OK with that given that he is an aging WR with his best years behind him?

Doesn't he still have a $12million dead cap charge if they cut him before 2016? Or was that this year and I'm reading the table off a year?

I struggle with the idea that Stafford's improvement is solely due to weaker competition.

He had two games in the second half of the season against better defenses and he and the offense still struggled. In the Oakland game they only TD the offense got was from Stafford running it in. In the Rams game, the offense looked as lackluster as it had under Lombardi, during the first half of the season. They managed to get in the endzone twice, but once again Stafford took a pounding and wasn't as sharp as we've seen him during other games later in the season.

It is going to be there whether they renegotiate or not. I would prefer to bite the bullet, and pay him to play next year at his going rate. That would make it much better after that. The Lions have kicked the can too much.

Doesn't he still have a $12million dead cap charge if they cut him before 2016? Or was that this year and I'm reading the table off a year?

You are correct.

From Spotrac:

Dead cap for CJ by year:

2016 - $12,916,000

2017 - $4,858,000

2018 - 0

2019 - 0

It is going to be there whether they renegotiate or not. I would prefer to bite the bullet, and pay him to play next year at his going rate. That would make it much better after that. The Lions have kicked the can too much.

The lions are actually in okay cap shape. overthecap has their 2016 hit at 129,950,627. The NFL is projecting the salary cap to rise again this year to to 147 and 155 million (from 143 million this season).

So I agree with you, eat Calvin's contract. An extension is fine, but extend him at value, not one of these kick the can contracts. They can afford to use this year to get him back to a normal contract.

.....An extension is fine, but extend him at value, not one of these kick the can contracts. They can afford to use this year to get him back to a normal contract.

Please explain. His current contract runs until 2019. Is there some way to void his current deal(I am assuming both sides would have to agree?) and then do a whole new contract? Or are you saying extend his current deal beyond 2019?