Shinma

1/3/16. Lions at Bears. Week 17. 1:05pm, FOX.

The Lions are attempting their 3rd straight sweep of the Bears

since Marshall called the Lions "little brother".

lT7uhlg.jpg

RZftQvV.gif

Presents the following thread:

1Ky3n0b.jpgATuesjhQm.jpg

(6-9) @ (6-9)

Your Detroit Lions

at

The Chicago Bears

hITYXeu.jpg

NFC Conference

Week 17

Date: January 3rd, 2016

Time: 1:05pm EST

This game is a presentation of:

GvgtjbR.png?1

Television Broadcast Provided by:

pH9nGHU.jpg

FOX

Radio Broadcast Provided by:

mqn3jae.jpg

Sirius / XM, Ch 81.

Official Lions / 49ers Highlights:

ti37Fr3zeH8

Sandman's Lions / 49ers Slowlights:

qZv5RueknlU

Lions outlast skidding Niners in final home game

DETROIT - The Detroit Lions are playing winning football right now. It's too late for it to matter, and that part is frustrating for Matthew Stafford and company. Stafford threw for two touchdowns, including one to Calvin Johnson early in the fourth quarter, and Detroit took advantage of several mistakes by the San Francisco 49ers in a 32-17 victory Sunday.

The Lions (6-9) have won five of their last seven games, perhaps giving coach Jim Caldwell a chance to keep his job for a third season.

"It's a sick feeling because we understood how good we were back in training camp, but we took too long to show it," defensive end Darryl Tapp said. "We dug too big of a hole starting at 1-7, but we are working toward our future and hopefully coach Caldwell is a part of it."

Caldwell, perhaps coaching the Lions for the last time at home, called for a fake punt and the gamble paid off. Isa Abdul-Quddus took a direct snap to the upback and converted a fourth-and-1 from the Detroit 35. Stafford went on to throw a 29-yard pass to TJ Jones for his first TD reception, putting the Lions up 10-7 early in the second quarter.

The second-year coach, who is guaranteed to have a winning record with the team even after next week's finale at Chicago, also challenged a spot at the end of the third quarter to help set up Detroit with a first down, leading to Johnson's 1-yard TD catch.

Caldwell dodged questions about his future and deflected credit for his team's recent success. "This is a group of very motivated, very competitive NFL players who want to win every game they play," he said. "I'm very happy with the way they have fought down the stretch."

The 49ers (4-11) have lost three straight and five of six under first-year coach Jim Tomsula.

Stafford's TD pass to Johnson gave Detroit a 12-point lead one play after Tramaine Brock was called for pass interference in the end zone. During the drive, the 49ers were flagged for being offside or in the neutral zone for the seventh time to set a single-game high by an NFL team this year, according to STATS. "That's shooting ourselves in the foot," 49ers defensive end Arik Armstead said. "We beat ourselves."

San Francisco turned the ball over on downs on its next two possessions. The 49ers became the first team to have six offside or neutral-zone penalties in the first half since 1993, when the Houston Oilers did it against New Orleans, according to STATS. On special teams, they allowed Detroit to convert a fake punt, missed a field goal and negated a pair of 30-plus yard returns in the closely contested first half with penalties. San Francisco was flagged 11 times for the second straight week.

"For the life of me, I can't give you an excuse," Tomsula said. Blaine Gabbert threw for two TDs, both of which gave San Francisco a lead in the first half, but his fumble let the Lions take the lead for good. Gabbert finished 22 of 33 for 225 yards.

Joique Bell's 1-yard run midway through the second quarter gave Detroit a 17-14 lead one play after Gabbert lost the ball on a sack. Stafford was 29 of 37 for 302 yards. Johnson, possibly playing his last home game with the Lions because they may cut him to manage their salary cap, had six receptions for 77 yards.

San Francisco's Anquan Boldin became the 13th NFL player with 1,000 career receptions on the first play of the game. "At this point, it doesn't mean much," he said. "I'd much rather take the win."

Boldin caught all five of the passes thrown his way for 27 yards in the first quarter and wasn't targeted by Gabbert the rest of the game.

DuJuan Harris, signed by San Francisco on Tuesday off Baltimore's practice squad, ran for a career-high 73 yards while replacing injured running back Shaun Draughn. He helped the 49ers to a relatively successful first half in which they tied a season high for points by halftime and scored a TD on offense in the opening quarter for the first time.

Harris had 74 yards on nine carries in the first half when the 49ers trailed 20-17, and then carried the ball just two more times in the second half. "We got up on them, so they had to throw more," Tapp said. "When you make teams play one-dimensional football, you give yourself a better shot to win."

Notes:

Lions heap praise on 'phenomenal' OC Jim Bob Cooter

The progress of new Lions offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter has made any decision for the Lions' next general manager increasingly difficult.

Since Cooter took over, Detroit is 4-2, including a fluke loss to the Green Bay Packers on a Hail Mary that should have never reached open arms. In that time, Matt Stafford is hitting almost 70 percent of his passes, and has thrown just two picks to 14 touchdowns.

"The way he communicates with us -- he's a fun guy, a younger guy to be around," Calvin Johnson told The Detroit News on Monday following a Lions victory in New Orleans. "And he's getting better and better every game."

Added Golden Tate, whose touchdown numbers have dramatically spiked since Cooter took over: "Jim Bob Cooter has done a phenomenal job at finding out what guys do best and putting them in positions to succeed. When you have the athletes we have, it's just simplifying. And that's what we're doing."

Their fortunes under Cooter have been good enough to earn a scoff from head coach Jim Caldwell, who did not appreciate reporters asking him about what could have been.

"You know what, I'm on a positive note right now," Caldwell said, via The Free Press. "I'm only thinking about this game. These guys played well today. I'm going to give them credit for what they did today. I'm not looking back and all that kind of stuff. I'll let you (media) guys do that. For us, we're going to enjoy this one. We had a good performance out of all of our guys."

That's fair enough from Caldwell, but a new general manager could have a more pessimistic view of things. Stafford saw two years of his prime vanish in the old offense and Johnson saw two near the end of an excellent career get severely dented.

While the option for a new general manager is there to keep this staff in place for a season until they find a candidate they truly fall in love with, is this six-game stretch enough to really convince the new executive team that they deserve to stay? Or is it just enough to get Jim Bob Cooter another coordinator job this winter?

NFC North Standings:

Green Bay (10-5) .667

Minnesota (10-5) .667

Detroit (6-9) .400

Chicago (6-9) .400

Lions Injury News:

Isa Abdul-Quddus S Shoulder Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Josh Bynes LB Thumb Limited Participation in Practice Probable

Ameer Abdullah RB Shoulder Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Jason Jones DE Neck Did Not Participate In Practice Doubtful

Travis Swanson C Shoulder Did Not Participate In Practice Out

Nevin Lawson CB Shoulder Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Michael Ola T Knee Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Calvin Johnson WR Ankle Did Not Participate In Practice Questionable

Haloti Ngata DT Foot Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Bears Injury News:

Eddie Royal WR Illness Did Not Participate In Practice Doubtful

Bryce Callahan CB Quadricep Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Jarvis Jenkins DE Ankle Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Tracy Porter CB Ankle Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Willie Young LB Rib Did Not Participate In Practice Questionable

Zach Miller TE Toe Did Not Participate In Practice Questionable

Matt Forte RB Back Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Shea McClellin LB Concussion Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Mitch Unrein DT Knee Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Adrian Amos S Shoulder Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Pernell McPhee LB Knee Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Hroniss Grasu C Knee Did Not Participate In Practice Doubtful

pJYeA4p.jpg

Lions march right down the field on the opening drive. Tim Wright wide open in the end zone, Touchdown Lions.

Jennifer Hammond ‏@HammerFox2 6m6 minutes ago

Prater sets a new team record for the longest FG in #Lions history. Jason Hanson's longest was 56 yards (twice) #IntoTheWind

I'm really liking Brady Quinn as an analyst, as bad as he was as an NFL QB, he seems to be that good as an analyst. Especially since he is obviously new to it.

Calvin turning back the clock. He's made a couple plays this game that I haven't seen him make in seemingly 2 years.

I'm really liking Brady Quinn as an analyst, as bad as he was as an NFL QB, he seems to be that good as an analyst. Especially since he is obviously new to it.

I've only seen a game or two he has done and I've liked him.

Had those calls against Green Bay and Seattle didn't go against the Lions, they would have clinched a playoff berth.

But the Lions wouldn't have won today if it had been a meaningful game.

Had they fired Lombardi in the off season. They would have clinched 3 games ago.

This is not a bad football team. Unfortunately this finish is going to cost them a good GM.

Had they fired Lombardi in the off season. They would have clinched 3 games ago.

This is not a bad football team. Unfortunately this finish is going to cost them a good GM.

why do you say that?

why do you say that?

My guess is that ownership will want Caldwell to stay, also they have two coridnators that are pretty good. I would think that most up and coming guys would want a clean slate.

Unfortunately I think Martha Ford has herself a peculiar situation. Do you clean house or do you gamble on what you got? I can't remember to many situations like this in the NFL.

A 9-7 team that gets to pick with a 7-9 record. Thanks to the inept NFL officials, we move up in the draft. Thanks to the inept NFL officials, we miss the playoffs once again.

NFL? You owe us, BIG TIME, next season.

A 9-7 team that gets to pick with a 7-9 record. Thanks to the inept NFL officials, we move up in the draft. Thanks to the inept NFL officials, we miss the playoffs once again.

NFL? You owe us, BIG TIME, next season.

AFC South and NFC East. Done deal.

Calvin turning back the clock. He's made a couple plays this game that I haven't seen him make in seemingly 2 years.

Had to show up for his farewell game :ponder:

and another gaudy stat day for Stafford.

Edited by Gehringer_2

Stafford's stats today:

28 completions

39 attempts

71.8 completion %

298 yards passing

3 TD

0 INT

119.4 QB Rat

What happened to this dude after the bye week? What did Martha say to him? What did Cooter say to him? I wonder if he will get a Pro Bowl alternate/injury spot.

Stafford's stats today:

28 completions

39 attempts

71.8 completion %

298 yards passing

3 TD

0 INT

119.4 QB Rat

What happened to this dude after the bye week? What did Martha say to him? What did Cooter say to him? I wonder if he will get a Pro Bowl alternate/injury spot.

Much easier competition, it's as simple as that.

Much easier competition, it's as simple as that.

That's probably part of it, but the past eight games combined have probably been Stafford's best of his career. In the past, the Lions have played easier competition for a number of games in a row and Stafford has never looked this good.

Could this be the end?

-b970e6856611d8a3.jpg

Edited by nd1377