davidsb

January 2016 Successes

Happy New Year's to all! Felt like doing a custom to start the year out for the 1968 set.

381216.jpg

The reason I keep going back to Tigerfest...

e92c39c5-92c3-4466-acf8-6ecc84ae1466_zpsqnxneu7g.jpg

Nice...how long did you have to wait and how many extremities did you freeze off?

So my game plan was clear early on: don’t fix what isn’t broken AKA let’s do what I did last year (as you all may recall coming at me with your pitchforks last January). That apparently, was my big mistake…

The Early Entry lines, and all lines for that matter, were set up the same as last year thus you had really 3 lines to wait in – B in the D Shop, C/D in the Tigers Club, and E/F in the basement (E/F not open to the early grouping). C/D ended up being Verlander + Victor Martinez, so I just stuck with a ROMLB for each of them as I’ve gotten each of them before, last year actually.

Victor Martinez ROMLB – THIS IS AVAILABLE

Justin Verlander ROMLB (help)

The only downfall is due to Victor’s elaborate signature, I did not make it out of line before the regular admission folks got in – which you need to do to get a good spot for the next signing group and make the EE passes into the best value possible. I hopped back in my C/D line that treated me so well last year and waited an okay amount of time (little over an hour) while my help had managed to get out well before me and headed to the basement to wait for players to show up. The group signing was Brad Ausmus on one side and Montreal Robertson on the other side (YES, both by themselves)… but I had missed that grouping by 20 or so people, so I went for the other one. 4 people come out at the same time, one side had Matt Boyd and Jeff Ferrell and I can’t say the other side was a whole lot better. The basement had Shane Greene on one side and an okay guy on the other side.

Rod Allen TigerFest program

Cameron Maybin 2015 Topps card

Daniel Norris 2015 Topps U&H rookie card (help)

Come to find out, the basement was where the party was at (apparently people like Cabrera, Trammell ended up down there mid-afternoon). By this time lines were ridiculous, like twice as long as they were my last trip through… and beyond any point they were allowed to get to last year. I took a break to warm up and listed to the front office crew talk before venturing out one last time to C/D. I had also seen Craig Monroe walking around, which was not announced even those he works for the Tigers TV station during the year so it wasn’t a total shock. Also made a small stop at the foundation fire sale and picked up nothing significant as I’m sure it was pretty picked over by then. However I was not going to buy a replica Greenberg HOF plaque or Anibal Sanchez figurine for $10 when I got the Miguel Cabrera and Justin Verlander figurines last year for $5 each… and there was no David Price, Yoenis Cespedes, or any of the other bobbleheads from last year.

So anyways back to the last venture... I had heard that Montreal Robertson signed in that same room (at the other table) a couple hours after the grouping mentioned before and some more low level players (Alex Wilson, Dixon Machado, Andrew Romine, and a brief cameo by Jarrod Saltalamacchia if I remember people’s stories right). I was just hoping for some B level players at this point: James McCann, Nick Castellanos, or even Mike Pelfrey would’ve been fine by me. Got before the cut off of the grouping that I guess was Kyle Ryan on one side and Alex Wilson on the other… hoping for better than that, but fell short.

Andrew Romine 2014 Topps U&H (help)

Daniel Norris ROMLB w/ bible verse

By this time we were looking at 3:30 and knew to give up as there is no way that you were getting through a line if they were not already closed off. So two guys (Romine and Robertson) signed at the two different tables within the same room today - at least one of their sessions were by themselves to boot! The fact that somebody left the line after seeing Norris come in rather than waiting another 5-10 mins is a shock to me: I can think of much worse people to get multiple times in a day. I guess I was able to upgrade my Norris Blue Jays stuff, added two guys to the collection (Maybin and Romine), and got another Verlander item (can’t have too many of those) and another Victor than maybe I can turn into something I need down the road. Last year was the moon obviously, but this is a step or two away from rock bottom.

Edited by Zack attack