Sign in to follow this  
hail2mich

GDT: #14 Michigan vs #19 Florida 1/1/2016

How a team does in a bowl game means little.

The bowls today mean nothing, agree. But it absolutely proves that teams like Iowa aren't as good as advertised. This is by far the best team they have played and they are being whipped. That certainly vindicates everything I already knew about Iowa (and MSU, for that matter). I frankly didn't expect Michigan to win against Florida, let alone crush them like they did, so that was a nice surprise.

The bowls today mean nothing, agree. But it absolutely proves that teams like Iowa aren't as good as advertised. This is by far the best team they have played and they are being whipped. That certainly vindicates everything I already knew about Iowa (and MSU, for that matter). I frankly didn't expect Michigan to win against Florida, let alone crush them like they did, so that was a nice surprise.

The M O-line was up and down with injuries the last month. When everyone is there they are a much better team.

The M O-line was up and down with injuries the last month. When everyone is there they are a much better team.

This was the best the skill guys played as a unit all year. Chesson and Butt had their way with a very good secondary and Smith/Houma/Johnson all looked good seeing the holes and making cuts. Rudock was on point again of course which helps a ton (what a difference from the first third of the season).

The Michigan defense was the face of the team for much of the season but it's only a matter of time before the offense becomes consistently elite under Harbaugh.

I agree that bowl games aren't that important (outside of the playoffs and such) and I'm sure some Florida plays had checked out on the season, but individual performances are still good to see, and seeing Michigan actually able to run the ball vs a d-line with the talent and performance this year of Florida's is a very encouraging sign for next season. They were more effective overall than Alabama vs this same team.

I agree that bowl games aren't that important (outside of the playoffs and such) and I'm sure some Florida plays had checked out on the season, but individual performances are still good to see, and seeing Michigan actually able to run the ball vs a d-line with the talent and performance this year of Florida's is a very encouraging sign for next season. They were more effective overall than Alabama vs this same team.

It almost seemed in the 2nd half with the game in hand, Harbaugh/Drevno were calling plays for Rudock's draft evaluation highlight reel. Seemed like more than one play straight from the typical NFL playbook.

Don't know if I've ever seen a college QB come on in a single season like Rudock. My pretty constant lament early was that if no-one else on the roster could beat this guy out that Shane Morris et all had to be really bad. Granted there is a big grain of salt comparing a 22 yr old to an 18/19 yr old that we would be more typically be seeing in the position of taking over a team cold, but Harbaugh apparently saw what Jake had the potential to do in the end.

Edited by Gehringer_2

Barring injuries to key players, I think they'll be undefeated heading into the OSU game next season.

Meyer has basically turned OSU into the Bama of the Midwest. 50-4 in his career at OSU is amazing. Maybe he'll get bored and try out the NFL at some point.

Edited by Scottwood

Yeah I have to say, I was a complete Rudock hater the first half of the season, up through the MSU game he was mostly terrible. I don't know if he was hurt early in the year or what, but his improvement on deep ball accuracy later on was insane.

It almost seemed in the 2nd half with the game in hand, Harbaugh/Drevno were calling plays for Rudock's draft evaluation highlight reel. Seemed like more than one play straight from the typical NFL playbook.

Don't know if I've ever seen a college QB come on in a single season like Rudock. My pretty constant lament early was that if no-one else on the roster could beat this guy out that Shane Morris et all had to be really bad. Granted there is a big grain of salt comparing a 22 yr old to an 18/19 yr old that we would be more typically be seeing in the position of taking over a team cold, but Harbaugh apparently saw what Jake had the potential to do in the end.

G2, you hit the nail on the head here. I kept waiting for Harbaugh to warm up Wilton, but with about two minutes left I was resigned to believe that Jake was never coming out of the game. The kid did put med school on hold for a year to play in AA, so being showcased for the scouts was a nice payback of sorts.

I was very happy to hear that Morris would likely never take a snap this year after the first two games. The kid just doesn't have it where it counts--between the ears. Hard to believe that he is staying to compete next year, according to several media outlets.

I peeled off a series of shots of Jake without pads on warming up, and you can tell he spends a lot of time . . . in the library.

Barring injuries to key players, I think they'll be undefeated heading into the OSU game next season.

Meyer has basically turned OSU into the Bama of the Midwest. 50-4 in his career at OSU is amazing. Maybe he'll get bored and try out the NFL at some point.

The way he maneuvered Jones, Miller and Barrett all into returning this year and then the subsequent dissension in the ranks makes me wonder how he would do where the players' memories would be longer than college ball. Of course it's the same knock on Harbaugh but for a different set of reasons.