Shinma

12/27/15. 49ers at Lions. Week 16. FOX, 1:05pm.

[Caldwell] should be fired for his arrogant and prickly press conferences alone...

Belichick too.

Can't believe folks here are wavering on firing Caldwell after a few wins against bad teams, and yes, I include Green Bay in that list of bad teams. The guy is a clueless and horrible coach. The two games that were "blown" by the ref were caused by his incompetence (failure on the hail mary defense and failure in challenging the refs in Seattle on the missed call). He should be fired for his arrogant and prickly press conferences alone, but I would look past that if I saw competence on the field.

I don't agree with your comments about Green Bay, they are a good football team, period. I do agree though that Caldwell has to go, though that's if the new GM wants him gone. And it puzzles me how a couple of solid weeks against bad defenses can make people waiver so quickly. In the Rams game, when they play a good defense, they look as pedestrian as they've looked all season long. I guess that comes with being a Lions fan, though. If someone, anyone, can get you a win, no matter how and no matter against who, you suddenly like the guy, regardless of his past.

The guy has had one game management, clock management, personnel management blunder after another. Hell, just this week he had to burn a damn timeout, in week 16 of a season, because he couldn't get enough men on the field on a goaline defense. In the Minnesota game (I believe) we had to burn a timeout after a kickoff because we didn't have enough men on the field. These kinds of mistakes have happened time and again under Caldwell. We have to take the risk that Cooter and Austin aren't retained by the next head coach/GM and show Caldwell the door. The worst thing we could do is have Martha or Sheila tell the next GM outright that keeping Caldwell is a condition of taking the GM position here in Detroit; that would be a catastrophic blunder.

I don't agree with your comments about Green Bay, they are a good football team, period. I do agree though that Caldwell has to go, though that's if the new GM wants him gone. And it puzzles me how a couple of solid weeks against bad defenses can make people waiver so quickly. In the Rams game, when they play a good defense, they look as pedestrian as they've looked all season long. I guess that comes with being a Lions fan, though. If someone, anyone, can get you a win, no matter how and no matter against who, you suddenly like the guy, regardless of his past.

The guy has had one game management, clock management, personnel management blunder after another. Hell, just this week he had to burn a damn timeout, in week 16 of a season, because he couldn't get enough men on the field on a goaline defense. In the Minnesota game (I believe) we had to burn a timeout after a kickoff because we didn't have enough men on the field. These kinds of mistakes have happened time and again under Caldwell. We have to take the risk that Cooter and Austin aren't retained by the next head coach/GM and show Caldwell the door. The worst thing we could do is have Martha or Sheila tell the next GM outright that keeping Caldwell is a condition of taking the GM position here in Detroit; that would be a catastrophic blunder.

To be fair, if he can go 11-5 and you can waver on him after a tough start, its plenty fair to waver on him the other way after a nice run in the second half.

I'm not a big fan of forcing him on a new GM. I would be supportive of the new GM keeping him though. I think the play caller and the QB is the most important relationship in football today, so I can't simply poo poo what Cooter and Stafford have done, even realizing that it has been against average to poor defenses. I could live without Austin, but I do think he gets more results out of his players than their talent suggests, even if by a small amount, and that isn't as easy to find as you might think.

Belichick too.

haha, nice.

Like Jason is saying here, very little to glean from any press conference. No need for the coach to spout off in the media. Caldwell has his problems, but I won't put press conferences on that list.

haha, nice.

Like Jason is saying here, very little to glean from any press conference. No need for the coach to spout off in the media. Caldwell has his problems, but I won't put press conferences on that list.

Yeah, I don't understand why fans think coaches owe us (or the press) full and candid explanations. We don't even get those from the politicians we elect.

Does that mean we should expect the usual pile of 12-4, 13-3 predictions here again next season? :happy:

No way! Not from me at least. I always predict 16-0 before the season starts.

Belichick too.

You conveniently left out the second part of my quote:

"He should be fired for his arrogant and prickly press conferences alone, but I would look past that if I saw competence on the field".

While I agree with your premise that Caldwell should be fired...

How can you say GB is a bad team.They made the playoffs for the billionth year in a row.

The Seattle play wasn't challengable, and was automatic reviewed because it was inside 2 minutes. They got screwed, but not because of Caldwell. His bad coaching cost them.

Green Bay has one good win (at MINN), that's it. They beat Seattle and KC early in the season when both were slumping badly.

The Seattle play wasn't "challengable" but Caldwell could have challenged the refs to throw a flag after pointing out their miscue, had he known the rule. Refs often huddle and throw a flag well after a play, but Caldwell stood there with his stupid deer-in-the-headlights look on his face and let it slide. The man is a good man, but he is flatly incompetent at running a football team. I mean, one only has to look at his coaching history: ONE winning season in 8 years in college, guiding the Colts from 14 down to 10 then down to 2 wins, and regressing 11 wins down to 6 for the Lions. He has been living off the Dungy legacy for 15 years.

You conveniently left out the second part of my quote:

"He should be fired for his arrogant and prickly press conferences alone, but I would look past that if I saw competence on the field".

I agree with the second part of your quote. I just disagree with the sentiment that coaches owe the press any kind of deference. I actually think Belichick is brilliant at handling the press.

I looked it up and Denver has a late pick in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds. They then have three 7th round picks. That doesn't excite me.

Actually, the Broncos traded their 4th round pick. A 1st, 2nd, and 3rd all in the last 5 picks of each round, plus three 7th round picks. That's sounds like a pretty bad trade for the Lions.

Why was lombardi the OC and cooter the QB coach anyway? Seems dang obvious now that Lombardi was way out of his league with calling plays. He was the worst OC the Lions have had.

I'd put Lombardi in a close second, behind Dan Henning.