Shinma

12/27/15. 49ers at Lions. Week 16. FOX, 1:05pm.

Odds that Caldwell comes back next year: 75%

That would be so Lions like hire the GM, then say "Oh yeah by the way we really like Jim Caldwell, please make sure you don't fire him but you can do anything else you like."

I don't like Caldwell but if the Lions win tomorrow they will finish 7 and 9, with 2 blown calls costing them games. If those go their way he would go 11-5 and 9-7 in two years. For an organization like this it would be hard to justify firing him.

*next week

That's also with Calvin dropping two passes that would have been big plays.

yeah - Ebron had a better catch/target ratio than Calvin I think. Another sign of the apocalypse I guess....:ponder:

I don't like Caldwell but if the Lions win tomorrow they will finish 7 and 9, with 2 blown calls costing them games. If those go their way he would go 11-5 and 9-7 in two years. For an organization like this it would be hard to justify firing him.

*next week

I wouldn't have any problem with Caldwell returning, but since I really, really, really, want them to broom all vestiges of the old front office and start with new people from outside the org, it just doesn't seem likely that a new GM isn't going to want his own coach. Getting a new GM from outside is a lot more important to me than Caldwell's fate.

Edited by Gehringer_2

Not sure about Caldwell, but I think the new OC will be retained even if a new coach is brought in. He's night and day different than Lombardi and Stafford is finally playing well.

I could come around on hiring Adam Gase. Cooter was an offensive assistant in Denver while Gase was OC so there's a good chance Gase would keep him. Gase has done good things with Cutler this year as well.

That would be so Lions like hire the GM, then say "Oh yeah by the way we really like Jim Caldwell, please make sure you don't fire him but you can do anything else you like."

The Dolphins did that. They made their new GM keep Joe Philbin and that worked out swell. In-fact, they had a chance to get Nick Ceserio from New England as their GM and lost out because they told him he had to keep Philbin.

Here are the Lions 6 wins:

Green Bay is 10-5 and can someone please tell me how this team is 10-5? They are terrible.

Oakland 7-8

Chicago 6-9

New Orleans 6-9

Philadelphia 6-9

San Francisco 4-11

Are these wins good enough for Caldwell to keep his job? I don't think they are.

2 key points to make. Those aren't especially great wins, but they had 2 really close losses to GB and Seattle(in Seattle) and they have looked insanely better with Cooter in place. I think there is reason to believe Caldwell/Cooter/Austin can be a pretty damn good coaching staff.

THe worst Caldwell can end up is 17-15 in the regular season. I just can't work up a ton of vitriol towards that. Is he a must keep? No. Is he a must fire though? Of course not, and that kind of talk is silly hyperbole.

2 key points to make. Those aren't especially great wins, but they had 2 really close losses to GB and Seattle(in Seattle) and they have looked insanely better with Cooter in place. I think there is reason to believe Caldwell/Cooter/Austin can be a pretty damn good coaching staff.

THe worst Caldwell can end up is 17-15 in the regular season. I just can't work up a ton of vitriol towards that. Is he a must keep? No. Is he a must fire though? Of course not, and that kind of talk is silly hyperbole.

I think Caldwell is pretty much must fire. If people think the issue with the lions this season was lombardi, then the blame for lombardi being here for 25 games rests solely on Caldwell. On top of that, he makes too many mistakes in games strategically.

If Cooter and Austin really are good, than any new coach will consider them. However, that really is a moot point. The only thing that matters this off season is getting the GM hire correct. If they get that hire right, the rest will take care of itself.

If the calls in those games went their way, the Lions would currently be in the playoffs.

If the calls in those games went their way, the Lions would currently be in the playoffs.

Yes, the lions got screwed in those 2 games. But, you could just as easily say if Caldwell had acted appropriately to last seasons putrid offense, we wouldn't be in a situation where 2 blow calls are keeping us out of the playoffs. The fact that the lions made the playoffs last year does not mean something wasn't wrong with the offense. Many people saw it. Many thought it would get better in the offseason. It didn't. And it still took a 1-7 start to make a change. That is on Caldwell. This season is on Caldwell.

Have Stafford/Cooter and the Lions really “improved” since mid-November or did their opponents get worse? Maybe a little of both, but seems to me more the latter

Why was lombardi the OC and cooter the QB coach anyway? Seems dang obvious now that Lombardi was way out of his league with calling plays. He was the worst OC the Lions have had.

Have Stafford/Cooter and the Lions really “improved” since mid-November or did their opponents get worse? Maybe a little of both, but seems to me more the latter

Looking at last years offense (even against bad teams), and the last 7 games I would say they have improved. It still isn't terrific, particularly running the ball, but prorating the 7 games out to a full season would be 36.5 TDs, 4.5 INTs, and 270 yards a game. Those numbers put your QB in the MVP discussion. I still would like to see them either a) be able to run the ball or b) Pretty much stop trying to run the ball and spread teams out with 3 or 4 wide and riddick/abdullah on HB flares.

While I don't think those numbers are great, they are an improvement.

Looking at last years offense (even against bad teams), and the last 7 games I would say they have improved. It still isn't terrific, particularly running the ball, but prorating the 7 games out to a full season would be 36.5 TDs, 4.5 INTs, and 270 yards a game. Those numbers put your QB in the MVP discussion.

Prorating the last 7 games out to a full season looks great as long as you’re not playing Seattle, Denver, Arizona, Minnesota, Kansas City… which was sort of my point I guess

Prorating the last 7 games out to a full season looks great as long as you’re not playing Seattle, Denver, Arizona, Minnesota, Kansas City… which was sort of my point I guess

No arguments here. My point was its not like they did well with the same offense against bad teams last season either. It took mini-miracles to win against saints and falcons, who were two terrible defenses. The only games the offense looked good against was NYG, and sort of Dallas in playoffs. So I agree, I'm not ready to call it "fixed", but I am ready to say it's better than it was.

Should have a much easier schedule next year. Lions had the toughest schedule in the league this season.

Also, looking at penalty stats, Lions rank 26th (this is good) in penalty yards against and 25th (again good) in total penalties called.

Should have a much easier schedule next year. Lions had the toughest schedule in the league this season.

Does that mean we should expect the usual pile of 12-4, 13-3 predictions here again next season? :happy:

Why was lombardi the OC and cooter the QB coach anyway? Seems dang obvious now that Lombardi was way out of his league with calling plays. He was the worst OC the Lions have had.

All about the last names.

Lombardi is a football name.

Cooter fixes your leaky faucet.

All about the last names.

Lombardi is a football name.

Cooter fixes your leaky faucet.

Our old OC was a Packer fan

Can't believe folks here are wavering on firing Caldwell after a few wins against bad teams, and yes, I include Green Bay in that list of bad teams. The guy is a clueless and horrible coach. The two games that were "blown" by the ref were caused by his incompetence (failure on the hail mary defense and failure in challenging the refs in Seattle on the missed call). He should be fired for his arrogant and prickly press conferences alone, but I would look past that if I saw competence on the field.

Can't believe folks here are wavering on firing Caldwell after a few wins against bad teams, and yes, I include Green Bay in that list of bad teams. The guy is a clueless and horrible coach. The two games that were "blown" by the ref were caused by his incompetence (failure on the hail mary defense and failure in challenging the refs in Seattle on the missed call). He should be fired for his arrogant and prickly press conferences alone, but I would look past that if I saw competence on the field.

While I agree with your premise that Caldwell should be fired...

How can you say GB is a bad team.They made the playoffs for the billionth year in a row.

The Seattle play wasn't challengable, and was automatic reviewed because it was inside 2 minutes. They got screwed, but not because of Caldwell. His bad coaching cost them.

Press conferences are a waste of time and not a measure of any coach. I prefer my coaches to keep everything in house.

Edited by hardyaf