Shinma

12/21/15. Lions At Saints. Monday Night. Week 15. ESPN, 8:30pm

After the Green Bay fiasco, Caldwell can't return, he just can't. You cannot have outright stupidity on the coaches part costing you games like this. I'd love to have Austin back and possibly Cooter, but the football world won't end for the Lions if a new regime comes in.

The most important thing the Lions can do is stay out of the way of the next GM. If the new GM wants to start completely over, he needs to have 100% authority to do so. He cannot be saddled with the current staff or the players for that matter. We might lose people we like, such as Austin, but it has to be allowed in order to get the best candidate for the job and win in the future.

I don't think its being suggested that the staff be forced on a new gm. I wont be upset if he retains them though.

New gm might wanna keep xanders lol.

I wouldn't have a problem with Xanders sticking around because he doesn't have longevity in the losing culture here like White does. What's great about Diggs performance too is that it makes me completely forget about Alex Carter. Anything Carter comes back and does will be an added bonus at this point.

It depends on the new GM. Most new GMs like to bring in their own guys so if the Lions hire a GM from outside the organization, I would expect him to consider Caldwell but I'd say the odds of retaining him are slim in that case. You do make a good point about wanting to keep the coordinators in place so Caldwell might keep his job on the merit of that.

If White is promoted to full time GM? Well..... I might have to stay away from MotownLions for a while. :wink:

Still, you have to take into account that they blew and almost blew 20 point leads within the span of a couple of weeks. Caldwell was completely botched up the Hail Mary defense against Green Bay, the team still commits brain dead penalties and little things like the idiotic challenge on the Saints recovered fumble last night which clearly wasn't Lions possession. The team is playing better but Caldwell is still in over his head.

I agree that Caldwell is uninspiring and should go.

I don't think last night's second half near-collapse is on him, though; Quin leaving with a concussion and the repeated holding calls by the OL both contributed to giving a HOF QB the opportunity to rally.

I do hope that the team hires a new GM before Teryl Austin has a chance to interview for an outside head coaching position. I feel like the biggest problem areas for this team have been the two-headed monster in the front office and the failure of Lombardi's system. Both of them have been addressed. I don't like to think about new coaches installing new systems now that the offense seems to work and the defense is playing again with a sense of pride. But one way or another, Austin is going to be a head coach next season.

So if Caldwell does get fired, what about hiring Austin as head coach? He's going to be a serious candidate for other teams and he would likely keep Cooter on as offensive coordinator.

This is just what I was afraid of, the lions get hot at the end of the year against bad teams and they decide to keep Caldwell because the team hasn't quit on him. Cut ties and start anew.

And if you're not going to use Calvin Johnson then trade him. He makes too much money to be getting 2 or 3 throws his way all game.

So if Caldwell does get fired, what about hiring Austin as head coach? He's going to be a serious candidate for other teams and he would likely keep Cooter on as offensive coordinator.

If I am going the coordinator route I am probably looking at a couple of guys, namely Hugh Jackson from OC/Cincinnati or Sean McDermott DC/Carolina, before Austin. He probably deserves the chance to get interview for the head coaching job, but if I were equally impressed by a guy like Jackson or McDermott, I'm probably going that route first. And yeah, I'm leading their teams respective records this season sway me over there.

This is just what I was afraid of, the lions get hot at the end of the year against bad teams and they decide to keep Caldwell because the team hasn't quit on him. Cut ties and start anew.

And if you're not going to use Calvin Johnson then trade him. He makes too much money to be getting 2 or 3 throws his way all game.

Stafford said after the game the Saints were constantly moving a safety over top and double covering Johnson. What are they supposed to do, just force it into coverage? The passing game was working so efficiently without forcing the ball into Calvin. Don't see why he needed to be targeted more.

I like Stafford but you can probably take five percent off that to account for screens being the primary run game most of the year

Stafford 66% comp, 58 qbr,94 rating, 2.5 int% 27 tds 13 picks. Not too shabby

After the bye week, after Martha's locker room speech, and after Martha fired Mayhew and Lewand, Stafford's numbers:

148 completions

217 attempts

68% completion percentage

1580 passing yards

14 TD

2 INT

106.9 QB Rating

I would say he answered the call. I don't know where it ranks against every other NFL QB for the past 6 games, but I would guess it is in the top 5.

There was some talk about the Lions coaching situation after this season.

Would you guys be happy with Austin as the head coach and he keeps Cooter as offensive coordinator or would you be happy with Adam Gase as head coach with Cooter and Austin staying?

There was some talk about the Lions coaching situation after this season.

Would you guys be happy with Austin as the head coach and he keeps Cooter as offensive coordinator or would you be happy with Adam Gase as head coach with Cooter and Austin staying?

I would be fine with either, but I think it's best for a coach to allow others to call plays, while the coach manages the game.

I like Stafford but you can probably take five percent off that to account for screens being the primary run game most of the year

That's why Brady is always so accurate.

That's likely because the various passes to tate aren't technically screens. He by himself has over 30 catches behind the los

That's why Brady is always so accurate.

Yeah, I think it's a good offensive system. Just makes it harder to compare qbs

They did use him. Smartly so. Nobody else takes away that much defense.

Yeah, I think it's a good offensive system. Just makes it harder to compare qbs

He doesn't throw many balls more than 15 yards. They are very good at hitting the quick crossing routes, but not having Edelman is hurting him right now.

He doesn't throw many balls more than 15 yards. They are very good at hitting the quick crossing routes, but not having Edelman is hurting him right now.

I believe they said on PFF that Stafford did not attempt a single pass over 10 yards downfield in Monday's game. It certainly worked vs the Saints D