Yoda

Tigers to acquire Justin Wilson (?)

I have to say, I think Avila has out dueled Dombrowski. Avila has gotten Rodriguez, Lowe, and Wilson by giving up some minor prospects and only adding about $12 million total in payroll. Dombrowski gave up more some good prospects for Kimbrel who will make $11 million alone and doesn't provide the same WAR as the other 3 combined.

I get the idea, but I also think you are selling Dave a bit short. He did add the best Free agent on the market, got capps in the Miley deal and still has a way deeper farm system. It's not like he only made a move for Kimbrel.

I get the idea, but I also think you are selling Dave a bit short. He did add the best Free agent on the market, got capps in the Miley deal and still has a way deeper farm system. It's not like he only made a move for Kimbrel.

I was thinking in terms of remaking the bullpen. I think Avila did a better job. Dombrowski always favored closers and despite fans gripes, the Tigers were pretty successful at the closer position.

Indeed. Rondon has a lot to figure out, apparently both attitude and stuff-wise, and it will be good if we can watch him do it at a distance of 50 mi down I-75.

Rondon is finished (well, in Detroit anyway).

Yeah, I'll take the pitcher that is already really good with 3 years of team control versus two guys that might not (probably won't) amount to anything.

It really reminds me of the Fister trade, but kind of in reverse.

I was thinking in terms of remaking the bullpen. I think Avila did a better job. Dombrowski always favored closers and despite fans gripes, the Tigers were pretty successful at the closer position.

Don't forget Smith. Carson Smith was pretty damned good last year.

It really reminds me of the Fister trade, but kind of in reverse.

I hope it doesn't end up that way. Fister had one good year and Ray turned into a decent pitcher. Had the Tigers kept Ray, they would have won that trade.

Don't forget Smith. Carson Smith was pretty damned good last year.

Forgot about Smith. Why couldn't Dombrowski have made a move like Smith while he was here instead of but our eggs in the Joba basket?

Rondon is finished (well, in Detroit anyway).

IDK, In the MLB interview clip from before the trade today Avila was still talking about having guys in the system they though they could turn into good relievers with a little more development time. Seemed like a reference to Rondon - though Verhagen fit the bill also I guess.

I just remain skeptical that he is going to be that good. His FB is fast obviously, but hasn't had good S&M quality, so he either has to come up with more movement on the FB, or a better breaking ball and pitch just a little bit backwards, using the change of speed to enhance the FB. He really hasn't demonstrated he can do one of those yet.

Edited by Gehringer_2

I hope it doesn't end up that way. Fister had one good year and Ray turned into a decent pitcher. Had the Tigers kept Ray, they would have won that trade.

Not even one good year. He was injured for a month that first year. He also out-pitched his peripherals that year pretty drastically.

Ray's lack of control could still hurt him once people get the scouting report on him, but he definitely has the stuff to justify trading away Fister, who was about to fall off a cliff.

IDK, In the MLB interview clip from before the trade today Avila was still talking about having guys in the system they though they could turn into good relievers with a little more development time. Seemed like a reference to Rondon - though Verhagen fit the bill also I guess.

I just remain skeptical that he is going to be that good. His FB is fast obviously, but hasn't had good S&M quality, so he either has to come up with more movement on the FB, or a better breaking ball and pitch just a little bit backwards, using the change of speed to enhance the FB. He really hasn't demonstrated he can do one of those yet.

If he comes into spring having to earn the last spot in the bullpen, I think fans would be pretty satisfied with that. The problem with Rondon was we basically handed him a back end of bullpen position before he was ready for it or had proved himself. And he was overhyped as a prospect by the organization.

AlAvila for rookie of the year!

yeah - to me it's a very different feel from last season. With last years team I felt they should be very good, but feared from the beginning that the pen was going to blow up - the only question was would it be so bad as to drag down the rest of the team's potential - and it was.

This year feels more like a 500 team but one that will play sounder baseball and that certainly has plenty of potential upside to be much better and end up a challenger with a little luck and health.

Watching him pitch, he really seems like a guy who could be a big crowd favorite this summer.

A high 90's lefty gets me a semi...This is a great grab.

I have to say, watching those videos that Yoda posted will give you at least a pudgie.

I thought that Al Avila was rag-dolling the other GM's even before this trade. This one, I can't even figure it out. He pulled Cashman's pants down, took his lunch money and threw his hat up into a tree. It's not the worst beating in recent memory - that one-punch knockout of Billy Beane on the Donaldson trade is first-ballot HOF - but man that's a lame excuse by Cashman, "two starters" well yeah not quite.

If Wilson can keep the BB rate under 9 he's gonna continue to rock....quite an arm!

Nice deal....I think the big moves for the pen are done...rotations got some ?s but also some depth now.

Boy I hope they get a LFer worth a crap.

If Wilson can keep the BB rate under 9 he's gonna continue to rock....quite an arm!

Nice deal....I think the big moves for the pen are done...rotations got some ?s but also some depth now.

Boy I hope they get a LFer worth a crap.

IDK - I don't really see them busting the lux tax in big way. I think if they add another expensive player it will be mid-season when either Greene, Fulmer or Boyd has made them feel like they can trade Sanchez's salary for a position player upgrade. That's is how I think I would prefer to play it if I were running the team anyway.

I love the move. My favorite one by Avila so far. Wilson looks legit and the price was absolutely right. Like what I'm hearing too. I do think they eventually splurge for a LFer. Not sure if that will be a star, necessarily, but at least someone from the top 2 tiers of OFers should be still standing come January, and maybe that's when AA pounces.

Jason Beck ‏@beckjason 2h2 hours ago

Some in Tigers org pushing for one more bullpen move, Avila said. For now, he’s focused on utility role. Still, bullpen might not be set.

Funny thing is that whenever I was building my team for MLB The Show, one of the first moves I would always make would be to get Justin Wilson for the bullpen. This was a great trade.

K Rod, Lowe and Wilson were 3 of the top 30 relievers in MLB last year. Two SP's and three relievers is a great start. The pitching depth has been improved but at least one more reliever would be ideal.

OF is still really weak and who knows how V mart will do. Cabrera and Kinsler are also getting older and Castellabos is not a sure thing. I think they need one of the quality OF's on the market but I'm not sure they'll pull the trigger on it.

I love the move. My favorite one by Avila so far. Wilson looks legit and the price was absolutely right. Like what I'm hearing too. I do think they eventually splurge for a LFer. Not sure if that will be a star, necessarily, but at least someone from the top 2 tiers of OFers should be still standing come January, and maybe that's when AA pounces.

Jason Beck ‏@beckjason 2h2 hours ago

Some in Tigers org pushing for one more bullpen move, Avila said. For now, he’s focused on utility role. Still, bullpen might not be set.

I agree with this....they have filled all of the obvious holes except LF, and despite their lack of interest right now, I cannot believe that they pull up short of fixing that problem in the OS.

Good trade, but at the end of the day they traded a couple of decent relief prospects for a good reliever. I'm happy with it and all, but it doesn't seem like a deal worth 'ripping to shreds' on either side.

Relief pitchers are just too volatile. I expect Wilson to be good next year, but it was just 2014 that he walked 4.5 batters per 9 innings and was a worse pitcher than Al Alburqueque. Hopefully last season was the start of a trend for him, but I don't really blame the Yankees for cashing in, and I'm sure if other teams were offering more they would have taken it.

Still, it's a very nice pick up for the Tigers. Even 2014 Wilson is better than most of the crap we had in our bullpen the last few years. He can actually miss bats.

Good trade, but at the end of the day they traded a couple of decent relief prospects for a good reliever. I'm happy with it and all, but it doesn't seem like a deal worth 'ripping to shreds' on either side.

Relief pitchers are just too volatile. I expect Wilson to be good next year, but it was just 2014 that he walked 4.5 batters per 9 innings and was a worse pitcher than Al Alburqueque. Hopefully last season was the start of a trend for him, but I don't really blame the Yankees for cashing in, and I'm sure if other teams were offering more they would have taken it.

Still, it's a very nice pick up for the Tigers. Even 2014 Wilson is better than most of the crap we had in our bullpen the last few years. He can actually miss bats.

I think you and Cashman are the only ones who think the prospects are decent. Wilson has only posted a walk rate above 3.5 once in his 3 full seasons so he is more likely a 3 walk guy. Also Bastardo is a constant 4 walk guy. Since Sipp got 3/18, I think it's fair that Bastardo would get the same.