Mr.TaterSalad

2016 NFL Draft Thread

We don't even have a GM yet, so we don't know how this team will be built.

Isn't it at least a safe assumption to look at Riley Reiff's performance at LT and an against Ngata at DT and assume that, regardless of the next GM, those are two big needs for this team in the future?

Isn't it at least a safe assumption to look at Riley Reiff's performance at LT and an against Ngata at DT and assume that, regardless of the next GM, those are two big needs for this team in the future?

We don't know what offense or defense will be run next year. We don't know what types of players will be needed to run the schemes. Reiff has been ok at LT. RT has been a bigger problem, and the line will need some continuity in the future. As far as DT goes, Reid has played fairly well, and Walker looked very good earlier on; I wouldn't run into resigning Ngata right now. I think they need a WR and/or RB in this draft. They might switch Riddick to a full time roll where he's in the slot on early downs, and RB (I think he's an excellent pass pro) for 3rd downs. I think they need a bigger downfield threat offensively, and better LB play (Levy) should solve most of the defensive issues. There is a lot of ways the offense and defense can go.

You wouldn't pick a RB in the first round would you? I don't see how that is justified unless you don't have any faith in Abdullah in year two.

......They might switch Riddick to a full time roll where he's in the slot on early downs, and RB (I think he's an excellent pass pro) for 3rd downs.....

I agree as this dude has the best hands on the team.

Just, probably not Robert Nkemdiche at this point. If we end up in the top 5 and stay put, we will quite possibly have our pick of Joey Bosa, A'Shawn Robinson, Ronnie Stanley or Larimy Tunsil.

Those are the three id want minus Robinson. I like him but hes a mid 1st type most likely. I'm obsessed with bosa. Id move up for him

You wouldn't pick a RB in the first round would you? I don't see how that is justified unless you don't have any faith in Abdullah in year two.

Probably not the first but never know after that. Having a gio Bernard and Jeremy hill or ridley vereen type combo can work out well. All about value

That's mind boggling to me. Put some glue on Abdullah's hands and roll with him. Maybe in the 5th or 6th round sure, but early round RBs don't seem to be great value regardless of need.

That's mind boggling to me. Put some glue on Abdullah's hands and roll with him. Maybe in the 5th or 6th round sure, but early round RBs don't seem to be great value regardless of need.

In our case specifically, you can't throw another first or second rounder away on a "weapon pick" like a RB because the offensive line flat out stinks. It's no longer about the scheme being the sole problem with the line as we thought it was with Lombardi at the helm. It's just as much about the talent on the line now. We need long-term answers at LT, RT and C. If you draft a LT and move Reiff to the right side, I think that solves to problems at once. Upgrading the offensive line also solves our woes at RB. Until the offensive line is upgraded and gets a good blocking scheme to go with the talent, we aren't going to improve our running game, regardless of whose in the backfield.

Drafting Derrick Henry with the talent level that currently exists on this line would be a waste. If our new GM comes in with a top 10 or 12 pick and selects Henry, I'll be having visions of Martin Mayhew all over again.

Get value and talent, period. The ol is young and any regime likely sees what they have with swanson and tomlinson anyways while likely extending reiff. If we find a true lt go for it but otherwise I don't see a major ol investment coming

Get value and talent, period. The ol is young and any regime likely sees what they have with swanson and tomlinson anyways while likely extending reiff. If we find a true lt go for it but otherwise I don't see a major ol investment coming

If you're picking in the 6-12 range and you've got Ronnie Stanley or Laramy Tunsil sitting on the board do you see another talent worth passing them over for?

If you're picking in the 6-12 range and you've got Ronnie Stanley or Laramy Tunsil sitting on the board do you see another talent worth passing them over for?

Depends on who else is on the board, obviously.

Lets let the combine process take place first. Hopefully the lions lose the rest of their games (except maybe the bears game) and get a Good enough pick where someone desperate for a qb wants to trade up with them.

Well, I guess you can put tackle at the top of the list since they just cut Waddle with zero alternatives on the roster

Well, I guess you can put tackle at the top of the list since they just cut Waddle with zero alternatives on the roster

Michael Ola has started the past 3-4 games, and has looked good. They also have Lucas and Corey Robinson on the active roster right now.

Michael Ola has started the past 3-4 games, and has looked good. They also have Lucas and Corey Robinson on the active roster right now.

Aren't these even more reasons to draft an offensive tackle? Draft an above average offensive tackle and hopefully he becomes an above average NFL tackle instead of sticking with some below average NFL tackles that play well every once in a while.

Taters it wont met me quote but i specifically said I like those 2 lts and that if we "find a true lt go for it"

Yeah, that's my bad, I missed your post on the previous page. I think anyone in the keep-Stafford camp (which really I'm neutral on even though I would actively shop him around) should want to upgrade this offensive line first and foremost.

......should want to upgrade this offensive line first and foremost.

No question about it. They need offensive and defensive line help above all else.

Updated mock drafts from CBSSports.com

cbssports.com mock draft

Rob Rang 1. Bosa 2. Paxton Lynch 3. Tunsil 4. Ramsey 5. Jaylon Smith 6. Goff 7. Lions - Stanley

Dane Brugler 1. Tunsil 2. Bosa 3. Ramsey 4. Stanley 5. Myles Jack 6. Goff 7. Lions - Taylor Decker

As others have said, the Lions would be in great shape with a top 3 pick. They could choose Bosa, Stanley, or Tunsil depending on who was already drafted.

Edited by nd1377

When I'm hungry I like to go to the store and buy something fresh and tasty, rather than picking through my garbage for some scraps that might provide limited sustenance. I hope the Lions FO feels the same way

In our case specifically, you can't throw another first or second rounder away on a "weapon pick" like a RB because the offensive line flat out stinks. It's no longer about the scheme being the sole problem with the line as we thought it was with Lombardi at the helm. It's just as much about the talent on the line now. We need long-term answers at LT, RT and C. If you draft a LT and move Reiff to the right side, I think that solves to problems at once. Upgrading the offensive line also solves our woes at RB. Until the offensive line is upgraded and gets a good blocking scheme to go with the talent, we aren't going to improve our running game, regardless of whose in the backfield.

Drafting Derrick Henry with the talent level that currently exists on this line would be a waste. If our new GM comes in with a top 10 or 12 pick and selects Henry, I'll be having visions of Martin Mayhew all over again.

Yeah, that's my bad, I missed your post on the previous page. I think anyone in the keep-Stafford camp (which really I'm neutral on even though I would actively shop him around) should want to upgrade this offensive line first and foremost.

I believe a lot can come internally. They look slightly better with Ola and cooter kn the mix and its tomlison and swansons first years starting. Id bring back Manny or a similar vet for a year, possibly sign a starting rt and draft depth in mid rounds. Again unless its a franchise lt

When I'm hungry I like to go to the store and buy something fresh and tasty, rather than picking through my garbage for some scraps that might provide limited sustenance. I hope the Lions FO feels the same way

With a 53-man roster (and acknowledging that, due to injuries and performance issues that a team may have more than 60 different players on that roster at some point during a season) it is simply not possible to fill all of a team's needs with the draft.

I hope the next regime is much better than Mayhew was at building through the draft. But I also hope the new regime finds as many solid UDFA contributors as Mayhew did.

With a 53-man roster (and acknowledging that, due to injuries and performance issues that a team may have more than 60 different players on that roster at some point during a season) it is simply not possible to fill all of a team's needs with the draft.

I hope the next regime is much better than Mayhew was at building through the draft. But I also hope the new regime finds as many solid UDFA contributors as Mayhew did.

Green Bay basically does it. They have 3 players on their entire roster that weren't drafted in house. That said, I agree that is not the norm and that the next GM (or the people around him) have to be as good at finding free agents and UDFA's as we hope they will be at drafting.

Green Bay basically does it. They have 3 players on their entire roster that weren't drafted in house. That said, I agree that is not the norm and that the next GM (or the people around him) have to be as good at finding free agents and UDFA's as we hope they will be at drafting.

That's not my point. I know Green Bay's roster is "home grown". That is not solely through the draft, though. John Kuhn was a UDFA. Chris Banjo was a UDFA. Justin Perillo was a UDFA. Those are a few examples of players who are playing roles for the team who were picked up out of the "garbage", as it has been put. (There are undoubtedly more examples, but I'm not about to look for them.)

The point, then, is that no team has the luxury of building solely through the draft. You also have to hit on the UDFA market as well. We got some good use out of LaAdrian Waddle, and hopefully we get some good use out of Michael Ola.

Wolf_Eliot.jpg

If the Lions hire this dude as their next GM, he will probably bring some of that philosophy, luck, magic, etc. with him.

The Rams likely win tonight is important for us in two ways. One, if gives us more of a cushion from another team, the Rams in this case, leaping ahead of us in the draft spot. Two, it gives a potential trading partner because the Rams have no QB of the future and probably will look to get one in through the draft. They could be a team willing to move up and give us some extra picks in exchange for our first round draft spots.