Mr.TaterSalad

2016 NFL Draft Thread

....But agree on Tater.

As long as Tater has not worked for the Lions in the past, I am all for giving him a chance.

Yes, not enough for a franchise QB. Not trading Stafford.

If someone offers a similar deal to the RGIII package, you wouldn't do the trade?

RGIII trade:

Washington got:

•#2 overall pick (2012) - RGIII. This would just be Stafford given up for the Lions. No draft pick given up by the Lions.

St. Louis got:

•#2 overall pick (2014)

•#6 overall pick (2012)

•#22 overall pick (2013)

•#39 overall pick (2012)

If someone offers a similar deal to the RGIII package, you wouldn't do the trade?

RGIII trade:

Washington got:

•#2 overall pick (2012) - RGIII. This would just be Stafford given up for the Lions. No draft pick given up by the Lions.

St. Louis got:

•#2 overall pick (2014)

•#6 overall pick (2012)

•#22 overall pick (2013)

•#39 overall pick (2012)

And yet St. Louis still doesn't have a QB.

Well, neither does Washington, so I guess it all worked out in the end.

They did, but he was injured too much so they shipped him off.

They thought Bradford was going to be their guy and didn't find the need to find a replacement. I personally think Connor Cook will impress in the NFL and be a solid QB. I am a little less certain on Goff and Lynch having watched them less. Getting that St. Louis type of haul and Cook I think would work long-term. I can certainly understand the resistance though for folks against giving up Stafford.

I'm also not saying that I want Stafford gone, I'd just shop him and trade him if I got a nice haul of draft picks in return and was able to get one of the three QB's in the draft.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

RGIII trade:

Washington got:

St. Louis got:

•#2 overall pick (2014)

•#6 overall pick (2012)

•#22 overall pick (2013)

•#39 overall pick (2012)

Right... who's going to offer us that for Stafford...?

... I personally think Connor Cook will impress in the NFL and be a solid QB. I am a little less certain on Goff and Lynch having watched them less...

WOW!!! That just gives me all the confidence IN THE WORLD that we should trade our starting QB!!!

WOW!!! That just gives me all the confidence IN THE WORLD that we should trade our starting QB!!!

It's not meant to give you confidence. If we get a nice haul for him, he's not so special and so good that he can't be traded. If the haul is good and we can get one of the three QB's (prefer Cook) then I'd trade him. If not, we keep him, pass on Cook or whoever and then likely end up paying him $22-$25 million per on a 5-7 year deal when his contract runs out in two years; this assuming that he doesn't completely stink up the joint.

As we all know, the new GM may not like Stafford and will do whatever it takes to start fresh with a new QB.

Let's say the Lions get 2 first round picks for Stafford. The two picks become an above average offensive tackle and an above average defensive lineman and then they draft QB Cook. Would it be worth it?

Edited by nd1377

Right... who's going to offer us that for Stafford...?

Cleveland and Dallas in my mind could be candidates for an offer like that. I think more realistically you could get a 1st + 2nd + 3rd + a player from a team like Cleveland, Dallas, Houston, Philly, St. Louis, or Washington. If you can take one of your two first and trade back you could be looking at potentially having between 6-8 picks in the first three rounds alone.

How would you guys rank the 2013 draft:

Round 1: Ansah

Round 2: Slay

Round 3: Warford

Round 4: Devin Taylor

Round 5: Sam Martin

Round 6: Fuller

Round 6: Riddick

Round 7: Michael Williams

Round 7: Hepburn

Mayhew's best draft?

By a mile. Stellar draft, arguably the top draft class of any team. Unfortunately, most of the other drafts were duds.

It's mind boggling that the Lions had players like Stafford, Megatron and Suh along with great free agent pickups like Tate and Quin to go along with a rising star in Levy with this draft added in and haven't won a playoff game.

As far as this draft is concerned. I think LT (move Reiff over to RT), DT and S are the biggest needs.

I've actually liked the young corners. Slay is a stud, Lawson and Diggs have been nice surprises and hopefully we get to see what Carter can do soon. Some solid young depth there. Quddus has been an interesting find at safety and Quin will be a mainstay for the next 2 years but no depth beyond that.

The roster actually looks surprisingly decent, lots of young talent. Building the lines is essential, the Lions are pretty weak on the interior and adding a pass rusher would be nice also. Oh and I think it's time to add a young QB to push Stafford a bit, maybe in the 4th or 5th round. Getting Stafford some protection is the most important objective. He's excellent when he gets time to throw.

Interesting draft. Strong draft where the Lions have the biggest needs and lots of picks to fill those needs. With a new scouting staff in place, it should be a very interesting draft to follow.

Also, are people still on the trade Stafford bandwagon?

Look around the league, it's really difficult to find good QBs. Build the offensive line and Stafford will flourish. Just look how good he has been since the offensive line starting gelling.

They have developed this guy and he's still in his prime years. It would be idiotic to deal him in favor of a rookie QB in an extremely weak QB class.

Edited by NYLion

Also, are people still on the trade Stafford bandwagon?

Look around the league, it's really difficult to find good QBs. Build the offensive line and Stafford will flourish. Just look how good he has been since the offensive line starting gelling.

They have developed this guy and he's still in his prime years. It would be idiotic to deal him in favor of a rookie QB in an extremely weak QB class.

I don't that that it is per-say a "trade Stafford" bandwagon from the perspective that people want him gone because they think he stinks. I don't think many are insisting he be traded. It certainly isn't that with me. It is more the fact that some don't view him as an untouchable commodity and that if the next GM wants to install his guy and/or another GM is willing to pay a hefty price for Stafford, it is simply the organization doing its due diligence by shopping him around.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

I don't that that it is per-say a "trade Stafford" bandwagon from the perspective that people want him gone because they think he stinks. It certainly isn't that with me. It is more the fact that people don't view him as an untouchable commodity and that if the next GM wants to install his guy and/or someone is willing to pay a hefty price for Stafford, it is simply the organization doing its due diligence shopping him around.

I don't view him as untouchable but you better have a replacement lined up before you cut him loose. If the Lions had the first pick and Luck was available, I would trade Stafford.

On a side note, it's completely unfair Indy gets the 1st pick when Manning and Luck come out.

I don't that that it is per-say a "trade Stafford" bandwagon from the perspective that people want him gone because they think he stinks. I don't think many are insisting he be traded. It certainly isn't that with me. It is more the fact that some don't view him as an untouchable commodity and that if the next GM wants to install his guy and/or another GM is willing to pay a hefty price for Stafford, it is simply the organization doing its due diligence by shopping him around.

I certainly don't disagree with that. Unless you have a surefire elite QB, any GM would be stupid to not do his due diligence but I think it would have to take a whopper of a deal to let go of Stafford.

Keep in mind how young he still is. 27 nowadays is baby years for a QB especially with the new rules protecting the QB. This is only really his 5th full season in the league with plenty of shuffling around of personnel and coaches around him. Get him some stability at coach and a beefed up offensive line and he you have one of the better QBs in the game for the next 5-7 years. Of course, Calvin Johnson trending downward could compromise that but it will be up to the GM to surround him with weapons.

I'd be very wary about dealing a good, young QB. They are just so hard to find outside of the draft and I don't see any franchise QBs on the horizon coming out of the draft.

On the other hand, I'd be sniffing hard around a Calvin Johnson deal. There's a player who will likely be a depreciating asset and still holds enough value to garner a pretty large package. It would hurt in the short term but this is an example of selling high. Lots of miles on that body.

.......On a side note, it's completely unfair Indy gets the 1st pick when Manning and Luck come out.

They were in tank mode for Luck and they had the perfect man to help them tank.

c4s_caldwell011514_12273891_8col.jpg

They were in tank mode for Luck and they had the perfect man to help them tank.

c4s_caldwell011514_12273891_8col.jpg

Apparently he isn't since everyone wants the Lions to tank.

Going beyond a potential trade of Stafford, I think the Lions need to solidify the LT spot and pick-up a long-term replacement for Ngata at DT. I feel like we'll end up picking somewhere between 11-15 and so I don't think we'll end up picking high enough to get Laremy Tunsil or Ronnie Stanley at LT or Robert Nkemdiche at DT.

Jack Conklin at LT and A'Shawn Robinson at DT are probable candidates in the 11-15 range. Based off of reports and mocks I've been reading through that range might be a slight reach for Conklin, but if he ends up grading out as a strong LT prospect after the combine, I'd probably take him.

Apparently he isn't since everyone wants the Lions to tank.

Given that he claimed he didn't think Green Bay was going to throw the hail mary and the Lions had the worst defense I ever seen for a hail mary, he is/was the perfect man.

Given that he claimed he didn't think Green Bay was going to throw the hail mary and the Lions had the worst defense I ever seen for a hail mary, he is/was the perfect man.

They went from around the 1st pick half way through the season to around 12.

I don't know much about any of the prospects outside of like... Bosa who would be awesome of course, but I'd love to see a LT that would push Reiff to RT.

They went from around the 1st pick half way through the season to around 12.

They did because they are too talented to lose to some pathetic teams. Caldwell is a terrible in game manager that has no clue on how to make in game adjustments.