Edman85

Internships

Just FYI, the Tigers just posted a ton of internships in Detroit and Lakeland all over the spectrum. I don't know if any younger readers here wanted to break into the game. It wouldn't shock me if a lot of these gigs were filled at the winter meetings.

Career Opportunities | Detroit Tigers

On the larger scale, I don't remember such an extensive internship program before.

Thanks for posting this. I was hoping to find an internship that gets the chance to serve Kate Upton while she watches Verlander or I wanted to be Miggy's driver.

That's a pretty interesting list. I think that we should all pretend to be 20 years old, and choose the internship that we want. For me, I want to be GM some day. So I think that I'd like to have Baseball Analytics and Operations, and then from there try to beg my way into an entry level scouting assignment.

There are at least 2 spelling mistakes in that Analytics and Operations description, as well as a non-sensical sentence fragment. They need an intern from English Lit.

Edited by Charles Liston

That's a pretty interesting list. I think that we should all pretend to be 20 years old, and choose the internship that we want. For me, I want to be GM some day. So I think that I'd like to have Baseball Analytics and Operations, and then from there try to beg my way into an entry level scouting assignment.

There are at least 2 spelling mistakes in that Analytics and Operations description, as well as a non-sensical sentence fragment. They need an intern from English Lit.

Someone probably should'of caught that before publishing.

Word of advice, don't bother. I went to the Winter Meetings after finishing my Master's degree in 2009. I got one interview. While networking at the bars, I was told repeatedly that I was too educated to work in baseball and that's why I wasn't getting interviews. They want to pay next to nothing and have you work stupid hours, which no one with my education would do.

That is why I work in college athletics now. Easy to be paid respectably and work your way up the ladder.

I think it's fine as long as you go in with your eyes open - you're probably going to be living in your car because they won't pay enough for you to afford an apartment. A lot of successful guys in pro football and pro baseball started out that way.

Word of advice, don't bother. I went to the Winter Meetings after finishing my Master's degree in 2009. I got one interview. While networking at the bars, I was told repeatedly that I was too educated to work in baseball and that's why I wasn't getting interviews. They want to pay next to nothing and have you work stupid hours, which no one with my education would do.

That is why I work in college athletics now. Easy to be paid respectably and work your way up the ladder.

I think any kind of job search in professional sports is going to lead to a lot of dead ends due to the competition. If someone really wants to get in though, they should try lots of different things because you never know what will happen. Being down at the winter meeting seems like fun even if nothing comes of it.

I think any kind of job search in professional sports is going to lead to a lot of dead ends due to the competition. If someone really wants to get in though, they should try lots of different things because you never know what will happen. Being down at the winter meeting seems like fun even if nothing comes of it.

Maybe write an intro book on sabermetrics and leverage that into some part time consulting work.

At least half way there!

Maybe write an intro book on sabermetrics and leverage that into some part time consulting work.

At least half way there!

I can see it now.

Right after the Dunkin' Donuts race, but before the cheerleaders throw t-shirts into the stands, Lee appears on the scoreboard in pre-recorded segments entitled "Sabermetrics Can Be Fun! with Mr. Lee".

I can see it now.

Right after the Dunkin' Donuts race, but before the cheerleaders throw t-shirts into the stands, Lee appears on the scoreboard in pre-recorded segments entitled "Sabermetrics Can Be Fun! with Mr. Lee".

They'll record 4 of them, it will be set in the area near the ferris wheel, and they'll do it in March. You'll see remnants of snow and ice in the backgorund. THen they'll show them ALL.SEASON.LONG.

By August I could predict what each player would say in those "How many can you name?" segments. For Michigan cities, Ian Kinsler listed "Detroit. Bloomfield Hills... then a bunch of cities up north, which tells me he lives in Bloomfield Hills, then during time off likes to go golf some good courses up there.

I understand the need for the games but update them....

I could have gotten in through the minor leagues, but the best jobs posted at the Winter Meetings were $20-25K and even those were few and far between. And really, I was told it's hard to jump from the minors to the majors. So you almost have to take a very low paying internship with in the big leagues if you want a chance and I couldn't do that coming from a lower-middle class family. Unless you have a family with money who can support you or connections of some sort, it's incredibly hard to work in professional sports. College athletics isn't much better, but there are more jobs so it's a little easier to break in and you'll make a little bit more starting out. You're also much more likely to make respectable money long-term if you stick with it.

Edited by spikesglaring