eastside billee

Pelfrey to the Tigers

That's the way to demolish the Twins. Take the Twins away from the Twins.

Edit to add: More seriously, though, I think this might be an overpay.

Salary scold :cool:

I watched the Tigers kill him in a replay of a May 14 game just yesterday.

So, did you like what he was featuring? Send Avila a tweet and give your approval?

Pelfrey Sucks. Might as well of just given the job to Boyd until Fulmer is ready and used that $8million on Oday/Sipp/Clippard.

:cool:

That looks a lot like your avatar. Is there a way to change the :cool: to be IdahoBert's avatar?

Pelfrey Sucks. Might as well of just given the job to Boyd until Fulmer is ready and used that $8million on Oday/Sipp/Clippard.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Not to mention, how many right handers are in the rotation now?

not exactly word for word, but pretty much the spirit of what I was thinking.

I like having the rotation depth and this provides it, but I still wonder how much better this makes the rotation over the course of the year relative to one with internal options.

At the very least, it does allow for a guy like Greene to be used in the pen.

And the contract itself is not bad so it should allow him to be traded if guys like boyd or fulmer are looking good in Toledo.

Fodder, but team friendly deal getting him for one season. Won't block Boyd, Farmer or Fulmer once they are ready this season or next.

Chadd finally gets his man--supposedly he would have selected him instead of Maybin, had he been there when we picked.

I miss Dave Dombrowski already.

Dave was great for the organization, but IMO AA has had a great start to the offseason. Zimermann and K-Rod are 2 of the steals of the start of the offseason. As long as Maybin isn't the end of the OF, he is a definite upgrade over Collins. Pelfrey is the type of 5th starter I had hoped they would go for, just about $3 mil higher than I thought they would have to go. Get at least 1 more for the Pen - ideally Sipp or O-Day - and I'm comfortable with the pitching staff figuring Boyd and Greene are 2 potential pieces of it.

So 1 more better reliever and then a later move on the OF that is still without a deal (of Gordon/Cespedes/Upton) and I'm thrilled. More likely to get the reliever and another smaller piece for OF, but overall I think AA has had as good of a start to this offseason as any GM.

$8m seems a bit high to me. But if you compare Pelfrey to Mike Leake, who is going to get a whole a lot more than 1/8, they look pretty similar. The one big red flag is health, but if the velocity is back and he keeps the ball on the ground, there is a good chance this works out. Also, there is a real value in keeping Fulmer/Boyd at Toledo to keep their arbitration clocks from running (something that DD never really did)

Leake

2013 4.04 fip 2.0 war

2014 3.88 fip 2.3 war

2015 4.20 fip 1.7 war

Pelfrey

2013 3.99 fip 2.0 war

2014 injured 7.57 fip (-0.6) war

2015 4.0 fip 2.0 war

Edited by RatkoVarda

$8m seems a bit high to me. But if you compare Pelfrey to Mike Leake, who is going to get a whole a lot more than 1/8, they look pretty similar. The one big red flag is health, but if the velocity is back and he keeps the ball on the ground, there is a good chance this works out. Also, there is a real value in keeping Fulmer/Boyd at Toledo to keep their arbitration clocks from running (something that DD never really did)

Leake

2013 4.04 fip 2.0 war

2014 3.55 fip 2.3 war

2015 4.20 fip 1.7 war

Pelfrey

2013 3.99 fip 2.0 war

2014 injured 7.57 fip (-0.6) war

2015 4.0 fip 2.0 war

Its kind of tough to use 2014 as a comparison. He started only 5 games that season, so 2014 kind of needs to be written off.

I agree that there is value in keeping Fulmer in Toledo. Boyd probably is not to be counted on as a SP in Detroit next season, and Greene is questionable.

I think they could've waited the market out a while for the 5th SP while addressing RP and LF.

Eight million for a crappy starter. You really do have to wonder when the salaries are going to hit a cap.

This signing does not excite me, but he provides depth and allows them to develop their young pitchers at their own pace. I hope they are planning to go over the luxury tax threshold though because they need more help.

This signing does not excite me, but he provides depth and allows them to develop their young pitchers at their own pace. I hope they are planning to go over the luxury tax threshold though because they need more help.

This basically. I didn't expect much for the 5th spot, so this is fine. Not exciting, but we needed someone to chew up innings at about a league average rate. He can do that. 8 mil is a little high, but oh well.

I hope the second year is some sort of option.

Yeah, I don't like the idea of a 2 year deal unless we are planning to move him after year 1 as I believe the odds are pretty good we can fill the spot internally by mid 2016, let alone the start of 2017. As long as it doesn't prevent us from an arm in the pen and a LF, I don't have too much issue as he should be movable if he pitches like he did in 2015 & 2013.