Shinma

12/3/15. Packers at Lions. Week 13, NFL/CBS. 8:25pm.

....Has he really gotten that good where teams just don't throw in his direction anymore?

I hope so. It would be nice to have an above average CB.

Switching gears from this ending, I've been trying to think, did Rodgers throw in Slay's direction at all this game? I'm sure he had to, but I don't recall him going after Slay. For that matter, I can't recall any team throwing in Slay's direction recently. Has he really gotten that good where teams just don't throw in his direction anymore?

PFF's 4th ranked CB

Titans Just put the game away with 30 seconds to go by running a Play Action pass and got a PI penalty....

If only we had balls.

I'm the least conspiracy minded person I know, but it is amazing to me how often this kind of stuff seems to happen to the Lions .. & never seems to happen to the likes of the Packers/Patriots. Again, I don't believe the NFL is biased .. nor do I believe the refs are out to get anyone. I've begun developing a theory that it all has to do with culture. When a team is as bad as the Patriots used to be, they don't get those calls. A guy like Belichick comes in, changes the culture, & the team starts getting those calls. Same thing with the Packers. They were awful in the `70s & `80s. New leadership gets better players, changing not only the culture but the perception. I can't allow myself to believe the referees are looking to screw one team over another .. but perhaps a sub-conscious bias does exist in that they scrutinize teams differently based on the perception.

I halfway agree with you. I think a big part of the issue is just that the NFL is throwing way more flags than it used to. I pulled the number of penalty flags thrown (from NFLPenalties.com). The arrow is pointing way up. From 2009 (as far back as they have records) to 2014, the number of penalty flags thrown has increased by 14.8%. And 2015 is on pace to be 4.9% ahead of 2014.

2015: 4456 (3104 flags through 372 total games played; annualized for a full season, including playoffs, of 534 games)

2014: 4248

2013: 3636

2012: 3809

2011: 3896

2010: 3713

2009: 3699

The NFL is clearly getting more obnoxious about throwing flags, under the flawed theory that doing more (i.e. having more points of emphasis) is always a good thing. (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/09/30/nfl-penalties-reach-all-time-high-as-record-number-of-flags-fly-through-week-3/)

This has occurred during a time when the Lions have been mediocre, at best (and when have they ever been anything but mediocre?), and the Lions have been in the top half of the league in each of these seasons, and in five of these seasons in the top ten - including a #2, a #3, and a #4. I suspect the Lions don't get much respect, and this feeling gets exacerbated by the sheer volume of flags that get thrown - including a face masking call that may not have been thrown in 2009. If the NFL is throwing more flags, it stands to reason that some of them will be thrown in decisive situations.

Edited by Jason_R

I halfway agree with you. I think a big part of the issue is just that the NFL is throwing way more flags than it used to. I pulled the number of penalty flags thrown (from NFLPenalties.com). The arrow is pointing way up. From 2009 (as far back as they have records) to 2014, the number of penalty flags thrown has increased by 14.8%. And 2015 is on pace to be 4.9% ahead of 2014.

2015 4456 (3104 flags through 372 total games played; annualized for a full season, including playoffs, of 534 games)

2014 4248

2013 3636

2012 3809

2011 3896

2010 3713

2009 3699

The NFL is clearly getting more obnoxious about throwing flags, under the flawed theory that doing more (i.e. having more points of emphasis) is always a good thing. (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/09/30/nfl-penalties-reach-all-time-high-as-record-number-of-flags-fly-through-week-3/)

This has occurred during a time when the Lions have been mediocre, at best (and when have they ever been anything but mediocre?), and the Lions have been in the top half of the league in each of these seasons, and in five of these seasons in the top ten - including a #2, a #3, and a #4. I suspect the Lions don't get much respect, and this feeling gets exacerbated by the sheer volume of flags that get thrown - including a face masking call that may not have been thrown in 2009. If the NFL is throwing more flags, it stands to reason that some of them will be thrown in decisive situations.

This is my general opinion as well. Regardless of how talented you think the lions are, they are playing like a borderline good team the last couple of years. I would guess (no research involved here) that the other borderline good teams also have a ton of games they get screwed in as well. Simply because you have to be good enough for 4th quarter calls to matter, but not good enough to put teams away. I happen to be part of the group that puts that call on caldwell for not putting the packers away (not excusing the bad call, it was horrible). But when you hover on being good, you are susceptible to random calls making you lose.

Edit: mainly referred to your last paragraph.

I happen to be part of the group that puts that call on caldwell for not putting the packers away...

Seriously. Three runs straight up the gut for zero yards, then letting them have a free shot at a Hail Mary, three rushers and no CJ in center field. Pathetic.

The three straight runs were fine. We left them needing 45 yards to get a long FG in 30 seconds. I have no problem giving them a shot at a hail mary. How they defended it though....

Another possible reason here is that the Lions aren't good enough to overcome bad calls. It might be that the likes of GB or NE get the same number of bad calls but they are able to over come then with good play, and therefore it doesn't become national news because the call didn't cost the team the game.

Please note that I'm not excusing the bad calls here. I'm not one of those who say that a team should just make sure they are in a position that a bad call doesn't cost them the game.

Another possible reason here is that the Lions aren't good enough to overcome bad calls. It might be that the likes of GB or NE get the same number of bad calls but they are able to over come then with good play, and therefore it doesn't become national news because the call didn't cost the team the game.

Please note that I'm not excusing the bad calls here. I'm not one of those who say that a team should just make sure they are in a position that a bad call doesn't cost them the game.

This is probably right. In the last two seasons, the Lions have won or lost probably half a dozen games by a last minute play or call. We especially remember the losses, but last minute comebacks like that miracle against the Saints last season dissolve into the record and make us think of last year's Lions as an 11-5 team.

This is probably right. In the last two seasons, the Lions have won or lost probably half a dozen games by a last minute play or call. We especially remember the losses, but last minute comebacks like that miracle against the Saints last season dissolve into the record and make us think of last year's Lions as an 11-5 team.

Teams like GB and NE very rarely get bad calls against them. Since the Lions have been so damn bad for so long I have started watching other games as entertainment. Those bad calls or leverage calls do not get made in most other games.

Teams like GB and NE very rarely get bad calls against them. Since the Lions have been so damn bad for so long I have started watching other games as entertainment. Those bad calls or leverage calls do not get made in most other games.

My father-in-law has been watching football a long time, and has two TVs going on Sunday. Since we've started watching football together, he notices that there are some kinds of calls that only go against the Lions. I don't know if he's right, but I don't feel crazy anymore.

My father-in-law has been watching football a long time, and has two TVs going on Sunday. Since we've started watching football together, he notices that there are some kinds of calls that only go against the Lions. I don't know if he's right, but I don't feel crazy anymore.

They ARE called in other games, but they are infrequent and I can always tell when a team is getting hosed. The calls in other games are not leverage calls...at least not the majority of the time. When I can kind of tell which team is being favored I watch that team REALLY close to see how many calls are NOT called against them. It is shocking sometimes to see. These are games I have no skin in at all, but after a quarter or so I can see which team is getting hosed and then I start watching the other team close and see them getting away with calls like crazy.

People can say what they will about the Lions not being good enough to over come those...or that they should not let it come down to that, but the calls kill the momentum. Momentum is a real thing...NE has been riding it for like 10 years.

I have watched damned near every game the lions have played in the last 25 years...the last 10 or so I have been paying closer attention to other games. It is not hard to tell what team is getting hosed.

Edited by John_Brian_K

TBH, I think it's mostly just that like in any sport star players get protected, and the Lions don't have star players. Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady are going to get dumb calls in their favor, Matt Stafford is not.

Calvin is probably the only guy the Lions have...and ok, he has an entire bad rule named after him getting screwed so maybe he's not getting them either.

This is my general opinion as well. Regardless of how talented you think the lions are, they are playing like a borderline good team the last couple of years. I would guess (no research involved here) that the other borderline good teams also have a ton of games they get screwed in as well. Simply because you have to be good enough for 4th quarter calls to matter, but not good enough to put teams away. I happen to be part of the group that puts that call on caldwell for not putting the packers away (not excusing the bad call, it was horrible). But when you hover on being good, you are susceptible to random calls making you lose.

Edit: mainly referred to your last paragraph.

And then there was that debacle of a football game last night, Dallas at Washington (which I had the misfortune of attending), in which there were 19 penalty flags thrown. At a certain point, it became clear that the referees had no favorite team, but apparently wanted to punish both teams, and all of the fans, for showing up. A bad game between two bad teams, made worse by overzealous officiating.

The NFC East is pathetic. If Romo was healthy for the whole season, they probably would have clinched the division by now.

Yahoo Power Rankings

Yahoo Rankings:

......24. Detroit Lions (4-8, LW: 21)

I think if Jim Caldwell had any shot of keeping his job, he lost it when he played to stop a lateral play rather than a Hail Mary on the final play against Green Bay. He just can't live that down, on top of everything else that has happened.....

I could not have said it any better.

Just to add insult to injury, 2 blatant QB facemasks not called tonight in the Cardinals-Vikings game.

Just to add insult to injury, 2 blatant QB facemasks not called tonight in the Cardinals-Vikings game.

DOhJOnF.jpg

Did you see the one on Palmer? It was even more obvious!

Yeah, I didnt think to snap a pic of that one. I was in shock it wasnt called.

For some reason, the defenders seem to love Bridgewater's eyeballs. There are two great examples in this thread showing defenders trying to rip his eyeballs out.

The inconsistency in officiating this game is laughable. Make ALL the calls correctly or loosen up on the number of calls you make that change the outcome of a game.

You know how it is, a referee is never not going to throw a flag on a facemask like that. It's an automatic call, even if the player didn't actually grab the facemask. Except of course for all of these other times when they actually did and they didn't call it. But whatever.