Shinma

12/3/15. Packers at Lions. Week 13, NFL/CBS. 8:25pm.

I really wish the Lions would just tell us in some fashion that Sheldon White is not going to be a candidate for GM next season. Besides, it's not a strange narrative given the way this franchise has operated under the Ford's ownership. The team plays harder, they make the playoffs or come real close and White stays. It's not a hard or confusing narrative.

White has to be a candidate to satisfy the Rooney rule. I don't know why you keep pushing this narrative when Martha has basically done the opposite of everything you said she would.

I really wish I had any clue what a GM hire midseason has to do with winning. This is such a strange narrative you've put out there.

Nastradamus,

I don't think there's anyway you don't understand this. We have plenty of history of the Lions just promoting from within in the Front Office. It's also plainly clear that the more successful the team is in the second half the more likely it is that the Lions might few the interim people in place as good enough for the long haul.

You may disagree on how much that chance changes if the Lions made a miracle run for the playoffs, but do you honestly not think that a very successful second half would make White's stock at least a little bit higher?

Yeah, we're not being entirely fair to Martha judging her by what her husband did. I would, and was, one who was singing her praises after the firings saying that this is something Sr. never would have done. But the hiring of Wood... that's EXACTLY something Sr. would have done and that drops my faith in Martha quite a bit.

Nastradamus,

I don't think there's anyway you don't understand this. We have plenty of history of the Lions just promoting from within in the Front Office. It's also plainly clear that the more successful the team is in the second half the more likely it is that the Lions might few the interim people in place as good enough for the long haul.

You may disagree on how much that chance changes if the Lions made a miracle run for the playoffs, but do you honestly not think that a very successful second half would make White's stock at least a little bit higher?

Yeah, we're not being entirely fair to Martha judging her by what her husband did. I would, and was, one who was singing her praises after the firings saying that this is something Sr. never would have done. But the hiring of Wood... that's EXACTLY something Sr. would have done and that drops my faith in Martha quite a bit.

The hiring of Wood is something all the successful teams in the league would have done.

Who cares. Taylor deserved to get the penalty. What an idiot. That call is always going to be made. Sure, a challenge would be nice, but it was boneheaded bottom line, as was how we defended the last play(as if it would be a lateral play)

I hate these arguments because you can just throw them around at anything you want. The Packers played like a steaming pile of garbage the entire game too, why did they deserve to win any more than the Lions deserved to do so? The Packers committed a ton of boneheaded plays all game, and could easily have been called for imaginary penalties to put the game out of reach as well. It wouldn't mean that it was OK.

For example, what a boneheaded play it was by that Cowboys defender to tug on Pettigrew's jersey in the playoffs last year getting a guaranteed DPI call. It doesn't matter if he actually committed a penalty, the minute a referee sees the jersey pulled back, he's throwing a flag. They never pick something like that up. Cowboys deserved to lose.

White has to be a candidate to satisfy the Rooney rule. I don't know why you keep pushing this narrative when Martha has basically done the opposite of everything you said she would.

Louis Riddick would not only satisfy the Rooney rule but might also be a credible candidate for the job. Martha hasn't done the opposite of what I said she would. Did they have a national search when they brought in Rod Wood?

Look, I am beyond pleased to see that Erine Accorsi has been brought on board. That is a move that I was doubting they would make but ended up doing it. I like it a lot! I just feel that the more this team kept winning, the higher the likelihood that Sheldon White was made the new GM.

Before the game, I wanted the organization to tell us, the paying customer, that we would not be spending our money on a team that employed Sheldon White as GM next season. Last night's lost should cement him not coming back because it halted the momentum this team was building in the minds of many around town. It also killed the playoff chance, which IMO, was the biggest threat to White returning.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

I hate these arguments because you can just throw them around at anything you want. The Packers played like a steaming pile of garbage the entire game too, why did they deserve to win any more than the Lions deserved to do so? The Packers committed a ton of boneheaded plays all game, and could easily have been called for imaginary penalties to put the game out of reach as well. It wouldn't mean that it was OK.

Offside on a 3rd down that would have ended a 4th quarter Lions drive and burning a timeout on the 4th down on an offensive possession with a few minutes to go were a couple of glaring miscues by the Packers.

Before the game, I wanted the organization to tell us, the paying customer, that we would not be spending our money on a team that employed Sheldon White as GM next season.

While I agree with you that White as GM is a real (if hopefully low) possibility, there's just no way the team is going to do that. Even if White isn't being considered they aren't going to come out an publicly say that he's not an option. Too many Pub.Relations issues with doing that.

Further, you know that even if they did that there would be some people who would attack them for it: "If he isn't good enough to even consider having it run the team next year, why is he still employed?? This is just the sort of boneheaded move you'd expect from this loser franchise! Have a guy running your team that you KNOW isn't good enough to run a team."

(And yes, I know the logic there is stupid... but that won't stop someone from saying it.)

I really wish the Lions would just tell us in some fashion that Sheldon White is not going to be a candidate for GM next season. Besides, it's not a strange narrative given the way this franchise has operated under the Ford's ownership. The team plays harder, they make the playoffs or come real close and White stays. It's not a hard or confusing narrative.

Why do the Lions need to tell us this?

They already told us that they are doing a search and who they hired to aid the search. Why is it incumbent upon them to tell the fans that White will or will not be GM next season? To make paraniod Lions fans feel better?

I can't wait until the Lions hire someone other than Sheldon White so tater can move on to his next narrative.

I hope they do hire someone other than Sheldon White too. I don't understand this belief among some that if the Lions had kept on winning and potentially made the playoffs that White would still only have a .000000001% chance of becoming the next GM. Where is the real evidence for this belief?

I hope they do hire someone other than Sheldon White too. I don't understand this belief among some that if the Lions had kept on winning and potentially made the playoffs that White would still only have a .000000001% chance of becoming the next GM. Where is the real evidence for this belief?

The fact they are conducting a national search and hiring an advisor.

Why do the Lions need to tell us this?

They already told us that they are doing a search and who they hired to aid the search. Why is it incumbent upon them to tell the fans that White will or will not be GM next season? To make paraniod Lions fans feel better?

As I said prior, I am elated at the fact that Ernie Accorsi has been brought on board. That makes me feel better about this process. However, had they kept on winning and rolled on into the playoffs, my concern was very real that, even with a national search, they'd still end up with Sheldon White. Just as they ended up with Rod Wood during their first "national search".

The fact they are conducting a national search and hiring an advisor.

They already said White will be a candidate for the position. IMO, just hiring an adviser doesn't eliminate him from contention, losing football games does. Hiring an adviser is a necessary step in the right direction, but it doesn't automatically eliminate White as a candidate.

The fact they are conducting a national search

You mean like the national search for the new president?? When Wood was hired some of us who were very encouraged by Martha's firing of Mayhew and Lewand became very discouraged.

...and hiring an advisor.

This part is actually encouraging and made me feel a lot better about the whole process.

CVYSudfUEAAzydG.jpg:large

So much fail on this photo, I don't know where to begin. There is :00 on the clock...why are two players protecting the sideline at the 50 with no chance the Packers do a quick throw out of bounds and line up for a FG? Why is there a 1:1 ratio of Lions to Packers on a Hail Mary? Rushing only 3, allowing the receivers the time to get down the field instead of pressuring Rodgers to throw earlier? No Calvin, No Ebron. Caldwell is playing for the laterals. What a joke this franchise has become...I knew immediately they would lose the game once the face mask penalty was called...just knew it.

You mean like the national search for the new president?? When Wood was hired some of us who were very encouraged by Martha's firing of Mayhew and Lewand became very discouraged.

This part is actually encouraging and made me feel a lot better about the whole process.

No team does a national search to hire a team president. The team president handles the team's finances. It's going to be someone who is close to ownership and someone they trust with their money.

CVYSudfUEAAzydG.jpg:large

So much fail on this photo, I don't know where to begin. There is :00 on the clock...why are two players protecting the sideline at the 50 with no chance the Packers do a quick throw out of bounds and line up for a FG? Why is there a 1:1 ratio of Lions to Packers on a Hail Mary? Rushing only 3, allowing the receivers the time to get down the field instead of pressuring Rodgers to throw earlier? No Calvin, No Ebron. Caldwell is playing for the laterals. What a joke this franchise has become...I knew immediately they would lose the game once the face mask penalty was called...just knew it.

The laterals were still an option. I wasn't sure if Rodgers had enough arm to get it in the end zone. At the very least, Calvin should have been in the end zone. Ebron too. If you're rushing 3, you still have 6 players left to tackle plus the 3 rushers.

The Lions also had timeouts to use. They could have used a timeout to get the correct players on the field to defend the hail mary. I really think all of this trash doomed Caldwell's chances of coming back next season.

What if the receiver is open and he drops it? What if Stafford just misses the open receiver and it's incomplete? Or worse, throws an interception? The defense should be trusted to be able to hold a team that needs about 60 yards with less than 30 seconds and no timeouts.

Risk - Reward

You can go for the first down and put the game away or play it safe and hope your defense is good enough to stop Rodgers. We all know how it ended.

I'm the least conspiracy minded person I know, but it is amazing to me how often this kind of stuff seems to happen to the Lions .. & never seems to happen to the likes of the Packers/Patriots. Again, I don't believe the NFL is biased .. nor do I believe the refs are out to get anyone. I've begun developing a theory that it all has to do with culture. When a team is as bad as the Patriots used to be, they don't get those calls. A guy like Belichick comes in, changes the culture, & the team starts getting those calls. Same thing with the Packers. They were awful in the `70s & `80s. New leadership gets better players, changing not only the culture but the perception. I can't allow myself to believe the referees are looking to screw one team over another .. but perhaps a sub-conscious bias does exist in that they scrutinize teams differently based on the perception.

I'm the least conspiracy minded person I know, but it is amazing to me how often this kind of stuff seems to happen to the Lions .. & never seems to happen to the likes of the Packers/Patriots. Again, I don't believe the NFL is biased .. nor do I believe the refs are out to get anyone. I've begun developing a theory that it all has to do with culture. When a team is as bad as the Patriots used to be, they don't get those calls. A guy like Belichick comes in, changes the culture, & the team starts getting those calls. Same thing with the Packers. They were awful in the `70s & `80s. New leadership gets better players, changing not only the culture but the perception. I can't allow myself to believe the referees are looking to screw one team over another .. but perhaps a sub-conscious bias does exist in that they scrutinize teams differently based on the perception.

You only assumes it happens more against the lions because you pay the most attention to the Lions. Patriots just lost last week due to two very controversial calls. I think the biggest issue is more so the fact that the Lions so often lose because they are unable to recover from these bad calls and when a controversial call costs a team a game it gets more publicity. If the Lions defend against the Hail Mary no one is talking about the face mask, if the Lions hold off the Seahawks no one cares about the batted ball in the end zone. You don't hear about the Packers or Patriots blown calls because they still find a way to win the game.

Switching gears from this ending, I've been trying to think, did Rodgers throw in Slay's direction at all this game? I'm sure he had to, but I don't recall him going after Slay. For that matter, I can't recall any team throwing in Slay's direction recently. Has he really gotten that good where teams just don't throw in his direction anymore?