chasfh

Heyman: Zimmermann and Tigers Have Reached a Deal

It's good to hear that Ilitch will spend to win, but I don't know if that changes my expectations. He pretty much says the same thing in every press conference.

True, but good to hear him specifically talk (if not outright mock) the luxury tax and his ability to go over it.

I'm also glad to hear that despite dropping 22 mil a year for JZ, they still plan on getting another starter and 1 or 2 more RPs. And I'll choose to believe that "tweaks elsewhere" means they find another productive OFer to add to the mix.

Interesting to see that JZ's deal is backloaded. He only makes 18 mil per for the next 2 years.

Zimmermann gets $18 million in each of the next two seasons, $24 million in 2018 and $25 million in each of the final two years. As part of the agreement announced Monday, he has a full-no trade provision through 2018, then can be dealt to 10 teams without his permission during 2019-20.

Zimmermann finalizes $110M, 5-year contract with Tigers

Interesting to see that JZ's deal is backloaded. He only makes 18 mil per for the next 2 years.

I guess that's even better then.

Assuming he doesn't drop off a cliff health-wise, which along with expected salary was why I wanted to stay away from him, there's a lot to like about him. Low walk pitcher that gets enough Ks and swings and misses for that to play. The key will be keeping the ball in the ballpark--basically his ERA goes as his HR-rate goes. 2014 it was low and he was awesome, 2015 it was high and he was more average. There's no real luck involved in his success, other than that.

And maybe last year was mildly bad luck, as his true home run distance wasn't that long: ESPN Home Run Tracker :: Golden Anvil - Full List. I'm not sure if that's a predictive stat or not tho, nor if the inside the park HR is distorting that average.

Interesting to see what some of the guys below him sign for either way. If Chen/Samardzija are closer to $90M than they are to $70M, this is a great contract for the Tigers.

That sort of backloading does seem to support the stated willingness to sign another SP and 1-2 RP's.

A few of DD's contracts had some slight backloading to it, but this is more than what we are accustom to seeing, so perhaps a new chapter in what is in store under the Avila regime.

The back loading is nice from a cash flow perspective and ilitch's profit margin, but it doesn't help for the luxury tax.

I guess it depends on whether or not he cares about the tax. On the one hand, you've got Avila in his introductory remarks saying they aren't going to go above it, more or less. But you've also got ilitch's comments about pedal to the metal and not caring about money and laughing at the tax.

I honestly don't know what to expect. My belief is that they won't be spending more than another 15 million or so but that's not a firmly held belief by any means.

If the luxury tax is not an actual limit and more of a soft target where they don't care about paying the tax on a small overage, then the backload if is good.

If the luxury tax is a hard line that they will not exceed except on the case of emergency, then the back loading means nothing to me, because it all counts the same.

Everybody liked the deal and the player.  Shows that pitchers are fragile, tho.

I think we all expected or atleast feared that the last two years may end up looking bad but we didn't expect all of them to.

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

Bump, per @Buddha's request.

another reminder that none of us know nothing.

15 minutes ago, Buddha said:

another reminder that none of us know nothing.

I thought we already knew that?

If I remember correctly, some people preferred Samardzija, but I don't remember anyone hating the deal.  Pitchers are always a risk.  

It was a very reasonable contract for a mid-rotation starter. Unfortunately, we didn't get that.

On 11/29/2015 at 9:15 AM, stanpapi said:

Did he also give up more base hits while the fan in seat #5 in section 223 drank a beer? Some of these stats are getting kind of stupid....

Kinda seems like people knew what they were talking about....

Nobody trashed the deal, but some saw warning signs from his 2015. We simply didn't notice that they were bright red emergency vehicle lights accompanied by a loud siren sound.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Nobody trashed the deal, but some saw warning signs from his 2015. We simply didn't notice that they were bright red emergency vehicle lights accompanied by a loud siren sound.

were not paid to see those signs.

unlike some other people.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2015 at 1:10 PM, Hart said:

So we get Zimmerman for a total about half of what Scherzer is going to get. I would say we win that swap with Washington.

Not to pick on Hart because this sentiment was prevalent, but, yeah.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Not to pick on Hart because this sentiment was prevalent, but, yeah.

Yup.  Good times.

18 hours ago, chasfh said:

I remember do remember flagging that his top FB was decaying and that he was in danger of falling below the magic 10mph differential to his breaking ball, but it's hard to say too much about a guy you actually haven't been watching.

The biggest thing with Zimmerman have been the neck/spinal issues, and I would guess that took more off his FB than the decay that was starting to show up in 2015.

18 hours ago, chasfh said:

Sure, there were warning signs, but just because a pitcher is showing signs of age doesn't mean he's ready to completely collapse.  There is a risk every time you sign a free agent pitcher.  

On 7/26/2019 at 11:25 AM, tiger337 said:

Sure, there were warning signs, but just because a pitcher is showing signs of age doesn't mean he's ready to completely collapse.  There is a risk every time you sign a free agent pitcher.  

True enough, although sometimes, it does. So ... what to do when another 30-year-old pitcher with declining peripherals comes available?