chasfh

Heyman: Zimmermann and Tigers Have Reached a Deal

So we get Zimmerman for a total about half of what Scherzer is going to get. I would say we win that swap with Washington.

Great deal, imo he's the best value in free agency. Gonna miss the 2nd round pick, hope the Tigers will hit big on the 1st round, and hit big in later rounds.

We really don't know at this point what all the unsigned players will sign for.

Bless You Boys ‏@blessyouboys 2m2 minutes ago

New Tiger @JZimmermann27 is on Twitter, but be warned: he's a Packers fan.

walkoffHOHOHOnukkah ‏@walkoffwoodward 30s30 seconds ago

Follow @JZimmermann27 on twitter.

lol

I do like he is from the Midwest. That is an added bonus IMO.

True. Based on this boards reaction, we thought the market would be set higher than what we got Zimmerman for so it will be interesting to see what other pitchers get.

This was the year to spend on pitching. Tigers have a protected 1st rounder and there are so many pitchers to choose from that prices are going to be low.

Wonder if the salary is spread out evenly across the contract or backloaded a little. Could lead to a lower impact on this seasons payroll

Jerry CrasnickVerified account

‏@jcrasnick

For those who might have wondered, Jordan Zimmermann's $110M deal includes no options at the end. A straight 5 yrs. #Tigers

To everyone that follows WalkoffWoodward, ever notice how they never comment on anything until after everyone else does, and then they just repeat what everyone else says. Especially BYB. They'll post an opinion on something and within two minutes WW will post the exact same thing.

I assume it's the same person?

So we get Zimmerman for a total about half of what Scherzer is going to get. I would say we win that swap with Washington.

Or, instead of paying Price(plus the SS we sent Milwaukee) we arguably allotted those resources to acquire Zimmermann,K-Rod,Norris,Boyd and Labourt. I'm assuming a minimum of 28 mil per year for Price.

We know what pitchers have signed for in the past. Getting him to sign for 5 years is a coup.

We know what pitchers have signed for in the past. Getting him to sign for 5 years is a coup.

Actually, I don't think it's that much of a coup, since Zimmermann had a substantially worse season in 15 than he did in 14. Plus, since he signed on before the calendar even flipped to December, he and his agent obviously thought 5/110 was the best he was going to get. If they thought he could get six years or better, he'd still be on the market.

Zimmermann's splits are interesting:

He had a low K rate, high WHIP, but few homers in first half. In contrast, he had a high k rate, low WHIP but a bunch of home runs in the second half. I wonder if he made an adjustment at mid-season which helped in one way, but hurt him another way.

Jordan Zimmermann 2015 Pitching Splits | Baseball-Reference.com

Actually, I don't think it's that much of a coup, since Zimmermann had a substantially worse season in 15 than he did in 14. Plus, since he signed on before the calendar even flipped to December, he and his agent obviously thought 5/110 was the best he was going to get. If they thought he could get six years or better, he'd still be on the market.

Also, 2014 was his best season, and might be the outlier. He's normally closer to a 3-3.4 win pitcher. That's about the going rate for that contract, so I still think the Tigers got very good value. I also love the fact that he's a strike thrower, and his career 1.82 bb/9 is excellent; as is his 4.09 k/bb lifetime.

He had a low K rate, high WHIP, but few homers in first half. In contrast, he had a high k rate, low WHIP but a bunch of home runs in the second half. I wonder if he made an adjustment at mid-season which helped in one way, but hurt him another way.

I noticed that too last night, I think that's a positive trend going forward that hopefully counteracts some potential negatives.

I also like that they didn't overpay for him--the lowest projected contract for him was 5/$115M, and some where 6/$126M or 7/$140M.

It'll be a solid signing as long as he doesn't come up with a sore arm or lose a couple mph one spring training. I would comp him to James Shields, but 4 years younger.

I like this signing. His track record is pretty solid. As with any pitcher, I hope he stays healthy.

I noticed that too last night, I think that's a positive trend going forward that hopefully counteracts some potential negatives.

I also like that they didn't overpay for him--the lowest projected contract for him was 5/$115M, and some where 6/$126M or 7/$140M.

It'll be a solid signing as long as he doesn't come up with a sore arm or lose a couple mph one spring training. I would comp him to James Shields, but 4 years younger.

Shields had a 1.1 war last year in Petco. No thanks. Glad the Tigers didn't go that route.

Shields had a 1.1 war last year in Petco. No thanks. Glad the Tigers didn't go that route.

Shields also had an unusually high HR rate. He also had a career high on K rate and swinging strike percentage. I would think those things would level out some in the next couple seasons.

Is that something that BrooksBaseball can reveal?

Since advanced stats help teams make winning decisions in the front office and in the clubouse, they're not even a bit ridiculous.

You don't have to use or understand or even like advanced stats, but you have to accept that Baseball is never going back to not using them. Advanced stats are an innovation, not a fad. The war is over, and sabermetrics has won.

I will agree with you on one point: they won't be fully replacing gut experience. There will still be teams who do that. The Philadelphia Phillies are one. The Maimi Marlins are another. They're on board with your way of thinking, and hey, they could use more fans.

My point is, I don't care how many ground balls a guy induced with direct sunlight at 70 degrees or below. Some of these are getting so detailed that they don't hold much meaning anymore. I am not implying many of them aren't useful. I just think blind reliance on the entire saber-metrics bible is a bit silly.