chasfh

Heyman: Zimmermann and Tigers Have Reached a Deal

Five years would be pretty reasonable. I was thinking it would be six.

I'll "predict" that there's a 6th yr team option/buyout.

5/110 is about the most the Tigers could pay without leading me to bury my head in my hands and ask, "Why? Why? Why?"

To everyone that follows WalkoffWoodward, ever notice how they never comment on anything until after everyone else does, and then they just repeat what everyone else says. Especially BYB. They'll post an opinion on something and within two minutes WW will post the exact same thing.

Fly balls to center field in Comerica would not be a bad thing. My biggest concern was that he had the worst BA against (.301) and SLG against (.465) on fastballs of his career. His slider and curve were still effective.

Hard hit grounders to center are probably more likely to be base hits. That might well be why his BAA and SLG are up. The issue is batters getting too good a look at him. He needs to turn that around.

Did he also give up more base hits while the fan in seat #5 in section 223 drank a beer? Some of these stats are getting kind of stupid....

If you hate stats, there are plenty of sports you can watch where you don't have to encounter them. MMA or adventure racing would probably suit the bill for you.

Did he also give up more base hits while the fan in seat #5 in section 223 drank a beer? Some of these stats are getting kind of stupid....

Actually, now I'm curious about this. Someone go over the video for last season.

Actually, now I'm curious about this. Someone go over the video for last season.

Statcast already has it.

AL likes to move quick, like his former boss did. Could make for a long offseason for us, but like that we've already addressed our biggest needs. Now he can let the market play out for our other bullpen and rotation guy.

I'm ok with that deal....I think they overpaid just a bit, but I'm happy the Tigers signed a good, solid pitcher for next year. Avila has done a pretty decent job so far.

AL likes to move quick, like his former boss did. Could make for a long offseason for us, but like that we've already addressed our biggest needs. Now he can let the market play out for our other bullpen and rotation guy.

And......a starting power hitting leftfielder.

And......a starting power hitting leftfielder.

That will almost have to come via trade of someone like Iglesias or Kinsler.

Zimmermann is the first of the tier two pitchers so this sets the market for the rest. Signing him for less than the projected amount can help the Tigers sign another pitcher. Maybe Samardzija now settles for a short term contract. Perhaps the Tigers could target Chen next or wait for guys like Kazmir or Iwakuma.

If you hate stats, there are plenty of sports you can watch where you don't have to encounter them. MMA or adventure racing would probably suit the bill for you.

I don't "hate" stats. Some of these advanced stats are getting a bit ridiculous though. They shouldn't fully replace sound qualitative "gut" experience. Otherwise we should all just have robots as managers.

Has anyone but Heyman reported this as a done deal? Not counting people that are using Heyman's tweet.

Has anyone but Heyman reported this as a done deal? Not counting people that are using Heyman's tweet.

Morosi and Rosenthal confirmed last night the Tigers were in serious talks so we know both sides had interest. This would be a blow to Heyman's reputation if he reports a deal with numbers. Then again, I'm not too familiar with Heyman.

Jim Bowden, JPM, etc.

Verlander is playing coy...

I don't "hate" stats. Some of these advanced stats are getting a bit ridiculous though. They shouldn't fully replace sound qualitative "gut" experience. Otherwise we should all just have robots as managers.

they don't replace those things, but things like "gut" and experience aren't measurable.

they don't replace those things, but things like "gut" and experience aren't measurable.

Gut is very measurable.

Bless You Boys ‏@blessyouboys 2m2 minutes ago

New Tiger @JZimmermann27 is on Twitter, but be warned: he's a Packers fan.

walkoffHOHOHOnukkah ‏@walkoffwoodward 30s30 seconds ago

Follow @JZimmermann27 on twitter.

lol

Great deal, imo he's the best value in free agency. Gonna miss the 2nd round pick, hope the Tigers will hit big on the 1st round, and hit big in later rounds.

I hate when people use actual data too.

Since advanced stats help teams make winning decisions in the front office and in the clubouse, they're not even a bit ridiculous.

You don't have to use or understand or even like advanced stats, but you have to accept that Baseball is never going back to not using them. Advanced stats are an innovation, not a fad. The war is over, and sabermetrics has won.

I will agree with you on one point: they won't be fully replacing gut experience. There will still be teams who do that. The Philadelphia Phillies are one. The Maimi Marlins are another. They're on board with your way of thinking, and hey, they could use more fans.