chasfh

Heyman: Zimmermann and Tigers Have Reached a Deal

Jordan Zimmermann, the pitcher.

More to come.

Edited by chasfh

Good to hear. Hope they didn't pay TOO much.

This is a HUGE piece to the puzzle because we now have two starters (Norris) with double-consonants in their names. Zimmermann has a set of them, in fact. Greene is a bonus because his are vowels.

Good to hear. Hope they didn't pay TOO much.

This is a HUGE piece to the puzzle because we now have two starters (Norris) with double-consonants in their names. Zimmermann has a set of them, in fact. Greene is a bonus because his are vowels.

I keep forgetting about Greene. If healthy, the Tigers should have one hell of a starting rotation next year. If.

I don't know yet what the deal is, but if it's more than four years, I don't know that I love that. I would guess five, but if it's six or more with AAV exceeding $20MM, then yikes. The guy has been a workhorse, but I don't think he deserves ace money, and we already have too many fat bloated contracts that are going to kill us on the back end.

On the other hand, when you don't have a good system to trade from, that takes you out of the cost-controlled pitcher market.

At least we keep our first round draft pick.

I don't know yet what the deal is, but if it's more than four years, I don't know that I love that. I would guess five, but if it's six or more with AAV exceeding $20MM, then yikes. The guy has been a workhorse, but I don't think he deserves ace money, and we already have too many fat bloated contracts that are going to kill us on the back end.

On the other hand, when you don't have a good system to trade from, that takes you out of the cost-controlled pitcher market.

6 years and $20 million per isn't ace money anymore these days.

6 years and $20 million per isn't ace money anymore these days.

I agree that $20MM is no longer ace money, but six years is ace length. It's what Lester got from the Cubs. In any event, my concern is not that he will be getting $20MM AAV, but that he will get substantially more than $20MM AAV.

The talk is that Zimmermann has declined since last year. Last year was a career year. His number this year were right in line with his career numbers. His K-rate and swinging strike percentage are in line with his career averages. Although he generated fewer swings and misses than his career year, he also induced more soft contact and groundballs.

Tigers face the Nationals May 9-11 next season. Pretty cool if it turns out to be Scherzer vs Zimmermann.

The talk is that Zimmermann has declined since last year. Last year was a career year. His number this year were right in line with his career numbers. His K-rate and swinging strike percentage are in line with his career averages. Although he generated fewer swings and misses than his career year, he also induced more soft contact and groundballs.

He did generate more soft contact in 2015, but that came at the expense of medium contact balls. He gave up just as much hard contact as the year before, and both were above career norms.

He also gave up a career high percentage of balls hit to the center of the field, which means that hitters got a real good look at him this season.

Hope he can arrest this before it becomes a trend.

Its 6 or more

Did he also give up more base hits while the fan in seat #5 in section 223 drank a beer? Some of these stats are getting kind of stupid....

Catherine Slonksnis ‏@CSlonksnis 10s11 seconds ago

Zimmermann's second "n" is gonna trip everyone up. Better scold your autocorrects now.

Autocorrect scold.

Did he also give up more base hits while the fan in seat #5 in section 223 drank a beer? Some of these stats are getting kind of stupid....

Because you don't understand something, or even want to understand it, doesn't mean it's stupid.

• Like 1

He did generate more soft contact in 2015, but that came at the expense of medium contact balls. He gave up just as much hard contact as the year before, and both were above career norms.

He also gave up a career high percentage of balls hit to the center of the field, which means that hitters got a real good look at him this season.

His line drive percentage was also down. It appears he gave up a little more harder hit flyballs which resulted in a few more homeruns. I'm not too concerned.

Fly balls to center field in Comerica would not be a bad thing. My biggest concern was that he had the worst BA against (.301) and SLG against (.465) on fastballs of his career. His slider and curve were still effective.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 26s27 seconds ago

Sources: Jordan Zimmermann's deal with #Tigers expected to be 5 years and around $110 million. @JonHeymanCBS first reported agreement.

Wow. I'll take that. Good deal for the Tigers that it wasn't 6 years.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 43s43 seconds ago

Sources: Jordan Zimmermann's deal with #Tigers expected to be 5 years and around $110 million. @JonHeymanCBS first reported agreement.

The Tigers just hired about five stat guys, so get used to it.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 43s43 seconds ago

Five years would be pretty reasonable. I was thinking it would be six.