Motor City Sonics

Off Duty Cops with guns at NFL games. Your thoughts?

Cops want this, league does not.

I an not a fan of guns, but I understand the need for this. But I'd have to have a few conditions

1 - The cop can not have any kind of off-duty domestic violence issues whether it's hitting a spouse or getting in a bar fight. No way. (NFL security should be allowed to do background checks)

2 - The gun must be holstered in a way that another person can't possibly grab it.

3 - If the cop has a weapon, they have to make sure the stadium folks know he/she does ahead of time (stadium and NFL security should have their cellphone numbers to send out any communcations if anything unusual happens)

4 - Any cop that wants to have a concealed weapon inside the stadium can't have any alcohol. Not a drop. Cops are human and can make mistakes based on a emotions, which can be clouded by alcohol. Any cop that has a weapon that is caught drinking should be arrested and banned from attending anymore games. If you can't attend a game without drinking, then you have a problem and you must choose one or the other - the ability to drink or the desire to carry a gun, should something happen. I know there are already ON duty cops at games that have weapons in plain clothes at Michigan games and I know there are snipers at and around Michigan games. But there is no alcohol served there.

These cops should only be allowed to act in case of an unusual threat. They should not be allowed to intervene in stadium fights.

Edited by Motor City Sonics

I'm guessing there's already regulations that off duty cops that carry are not supposed to drink alcohol while doing it.

Why stop at off-duty cops? They can't be everywhere. And as we have seen recently, because someone is a police officer does not automatically mean they will display good judgement in their decision making.

Why not make it a difficult, but attainable level of a CPL?

Put any behavioral stipulations on it you like to increase the difficulty of obtaining the advanced level of the permit, but the more people who can actually do something to forcefully impact a situation when something occurs, the safer we will all be.

I would not trust more people with guns especially in an environment like an NFL game. Disaster waiting to happen. The process to grant CPLs is not fool proof. You don't want that in a place where 50,000 people are all enclosed. You'll get deaths from shots and then from trampling. Then some guy will think he's a hero and start shooting back hitting more innocents. No way.

I would not trust more people with guns especially in an environment like an NFL game. Disaster waiting to happen. The process to grant CPLs is not fool proof. You don't want that in a place where 50,000 people are all enclosed. You'll get deaths from shots and then from trampling. Then some guy will think he's a hero and start shooting back hitting more innocents. No way.

This.

The "the more good guys with guns the better" theory falls down because inevitably, the more you want to arm "good guys", the more bad guys will be allowed guns under the mistaken idea that they're good guys, and then at that point all you need is one bad actor to start a wild west shootout.

Edited by chasfh

Also, this is a solution for a problem that doesn't even exist. After all, when was the last time someone shot up an NFL game?

Also, can we lose this idea that everyone who doesn't currently have a felony on their record is a "good guy"?

It's going to happen one day.

Even if this is true, I guess I am not understanding how having some off-duty armed cops at the game is likely to change anything.

I think the evidence suggests adding guns to an environment tends to make it less safe, not more safe.

I may be mistaken but I think the driver for this is a recent change by the NFL. I assume that off duty cops carry on a regular basis and could go to games while armed? Now they can't? Who knows.

Good idea.

The more good guys with guns the better.

I'm with you. I would welcome them at anything I'm doing, any place I'm going. Don't understand the unwelcome comments.

Give the players guns!

They have them but they sometimes go off and shoot themselves in the thigh.

It's going to happen one day.

By that logic, then we might as well put armed officers in every public venue all the time: stadiums, malls, restaurants, bars, movie theaters, parks, churches, schools, public meetings—everywhere. Because, you know, it's going to happen one day.

I know, a lot of people would like to see that. A lot of people would like to live in a fascist police state, too. Personally, I don't want to. I hope this falls down.

NFL games are already safe. Have you been to an NFL game? They pass you through metal detectors and, if you're Middle Eastern-looking, they'll also wand you and pat you down and possibly detain you before you get in. Who's going to get a gun through that?

Besides, if someone really wants to kill a bunch of fans at an NFL game, he can merely fly a weaponized drone into the place from a couple miles away. Because unlike the phalanx of security you have to try to fool to smuggle a gun inside, the only thing stopping someone from drone striking the stadium is a few hundred bucks and his degree of motivation.

Better safe than sorry. I don't know how anybody can possibly oppose this.

I oppose it because I am not convinced it actually makes it *safe* or *safer* on balance.

I believe it is more likely to much more likely to backfire - no pun intended - than save lives.

Cops want this, league does not.

I an not a fan of guns, but I understand the need for this. But I'd have to have a few conditions

1 - The cop can not have any kind of off-duty domestic violence issues whether it's hitting a spouse or getting in a bar fight. No way. (NFL security should be allowed to do background checks)

2 - The gun must be holstered in a way that another person can't possibly grab it.

3 - If the cop has a weapon, they have to make sure the stadium folks know he/she does ahead of time (stadium and NFL security should have their cellphone numbers to send out any communcations if anything unusual happens)

4 - Any cop that wants to have a concealed weapon inside the stadium can't have any alcohol. Not a drop. Cops are human and can make mistakes based on a emotions, which can be clouded by alcohol. Any cop that has a weapon that is caught drinking should be arrested and banned from attending anymore games. If you can't attend a game without drinking, then you have a problem and you must choose one or the other - the ability to drink or the desire to carry a gun, should something happen. I know there are already ON duty cops at games that have weapons in plain clothes at Michigan games and I know there are snipers at and around Michigan games. But there is no alcohol served there.

These cops should only be allowed to act in case of an unusual threat. They should not be allowed to intervene in stadium fights.

This probably belongs in the politics thread.

I am not sure. I can see the Pros and cons of it. I probably agree, provided the conditions outlined were strictly enforced.

I'd be worried about Chief Wiggum types.

Edited by MAROTH4MVP

Also, this is a solution for a problem that doesn't even exist. After all, when was the last time someone shot up an NFL game?

You specified NFL. November 13, ISIS tried to enter a soccer game in Paris to detonate explosives and were stopped by the guards.

You specified NFL. November 13, ISIS tried to enter a soccer game in Paris to detonate explosives and were stopped by the guards.

So, you are saying that the extra "help" from off-duty cops wasn't needed?