Shinma

11/22/15. Raiders at Lions. Week 11. CBS, 1:05pm.

......But Caldwell has proven he can win if given good players. He took his team to the Super Bowl as a rookie head coach and won a Super Bowl as an assistant......

As a person, you can't get much better than Caldwell. He is a class act. As a coach, I am not so sure. As another poster said, it seems as if it took/takes him some time to make adjustments/changes with the team. Given the current Lions team and talent level, there is no way they should have started 1-7. It is his fault as he wasn't good enough to see that the offensive scheme wasn't working. I believe that if he wasn't forced to fire Lombardi, Lombardi would still be the offensive coordinator.

.....Present the right amount of one-sided evidence... I could probably be convinced......

The only evidence that would convince me to keep White is making the playoffs this season and winning a playoff game this season. I think once the new GM is hired, we all know that he will probably want to hire his own coach. I really don't think anyone would take the Lions GM position if ownership tells them that you must keep Caldwell as the head coach.

Agree, they could run the table. They could still be out of the playoffs, but would have a nice 8-4 conference record if they do. I would take a 6th seed right now.

It would be really sad if the Lions run the table and miss the playoffs by 1 game. If(big if) that would actually happen, the idiot ref in Seattle should never sniff the field again.

As a person, you can't get much better than Caldwell. He is a class act. As a coach, I am not so sure. As another poster said, it seems as if it took/takes him some time to make adjustments/changes with the team. Given the current Lions team and talent level, there is no way they should have started 1-7. It is his fault as he wasn't good enough to see that the offensive scheme wasn't working. I believe that if he wasn't forced to fire Lombardi, Lombardi would still be the offensive coordinator.

The only evidence that would convince me to keep White is making the playoffs this season and winning a playoff game this season. I think once the new GM is hired, we all know that he will probably want to hire his own coach. I really don't think anyone would take the Lions GM position if ownership tells them that you must keep Caldwell as the head coach.

It would be really sad if the Lions run the table and miss the playoffs by 1 game. If(big if) that would actually happen, the idiot ref in Seattle should never sniff the field again.

Agree. Caldwell has no excuse for letting the offense's issues linger for half a season, especially after its mediocre showing last season. You know the new OC's scheme is still a question mark coming into the season, you pull the plug after three or four games of ineptitude. Especially knowing you are likely to have a soft schedule in the second half!

Here is a good example of the kind of schemes Lombardi was calling. From PFF Swanson fails to chip the nose tackle and is late to pick up the end.

Sack2.gif

Here is a good example of the kind of schemes Lombardi was calling. From PFF Swanson fails to chip the nose tackle and is late to pick up the end.

Sack2.gif

I'm no expert, but it looks like the nose lined up in the gap and Swanson chipped him. Unfortunately the nose shot through the gap immediately. Tomlinson looks responsible for the block but wasn't able to catch up. Because of the pressure up the middle Stafford dropped back farther than expected and Swanson had no chance of getting back to pick up the end.

The play looks well covered anyway, but I assume the blame is in the pre-snap read. I don't see any reason for the left guard being responsible for blocking the nose when he is lined up there.

Edited by sagnam

That's an impossible block to make.

Agreed. Blaming that play on Swanson is suspect, unless it was his response nobody to change the play and/or blocking.

He was also a complete dud at Wake Forest. People have also accused him of only being successful in Indy because Payton Manning basically ran that offense. Yes, he's a proven commodity as a winner. He's also a proven commodity as a loser too.

If you say he won when he had Peyton Manning, you have to also say he lost when Dan Orlovsky was arguably his best QB. Its not like Peyton Manning just goes to the SB every year either.

If you say he won when he had Peyton Manning, you have to also say he lost when Dan Orlovsky was arguably his best QB. Its not like Peyton Manning just goes to the SB every year either.

Great point and I thought they were unofficially in tank mode to have the option to draft Andrew Luck.