Shinma

11/22/15. Raiders at Lions. Week 11. CBS, 1:05pm.

Who is the one player in this draft that you haters think would make the difference between the Lions being mediocre and them being perennial playoff contenders?

There isn't one single player who will do that, which is why many of us want a higher draft slot, so the Lions will draft as early as possible in EVERY round. I get that you disagree, but at least acknowledge that a higher draft position is better than a lower draft position.

There isn't one single player who will do that, which is why many of us want a higher draft slot, so the Lions will draft as early as possible in EVERY round. I get that you disagree, but at least acknowledge that a higher draft position is better than a lower draft position.

All things being equal, true. But I think that would be offset by a 8-8 or 7-9 record helping in the search for a new GM, coach and free agents. No one wants to join a 3-13 basket case unless the are conscripted.

Of the Lions 6 remaining games, all but the Packers have losing records. The Lions are going to pile up some wins.

I hope they win out. That would be the funniest thing ever.

All things being equal, true. But I think that would be offset by a 8-8 or 7-9 record helping in the search for a new GM, coach and free agents. No one wants to join a 3-13 basket case unless the are conscripted.

Is that true, or would the prospect of a very high draft position be more enticing for a prospective GM? I've heard both theories put forward.

A high draft pick is more than just the first round selection...it puts you in position to select higher echelon talent in subsequent rounds as well.

I don't mind them winning now because they still are mathematically alive. Atlanta still has to face Carolina twice to go along with a couple other tough games so 8-8 maybe enough to get into that last spot. Of course it's highly unlikely that they finish 7-1 but hey atleast it gives you some hope.

If this was week 17 and this win took them from being 2-14 to 3-13 and cost them a few spots in the draft I would be upset. I also would be upset if the players on my team quit halfway through the season and stopped trying to win when they still had a chance at the playoffs, albeit a slim chance.

Who is the one player in this draft that you haters think would make the difference between the Lions being mediocre and them being perennial playoff contenders?

1 win extra from a player would be worth it to lose as many games as possible.

1 win extra from a player would be worth it to lose as many games as possible.

It just doesn't work like that. If Andrew Luck was in the draft, I'd be more sympathetic. But even with JaDaveon Clowney, who was viewed as the top draft prospect for a full year, how has that ended up? The draft is a crap shoot.

But every new season you know you are going to have around two-thirds of the roster stay the same. I'd rather see the players on the team right now continue to compete, improve throughout the season, learn how to play together, and win.

Paxton Lynch, Connor Cook, Joey Bosa. . .

Plus, having a high pick allows you to have more flexibility to trade back and acquire more picks.

What is winning doing for you now other than potentially cementing Sheldon White and Jim Caldwell as your GM and coach respectively?

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

It just doesn't work like that. If Andrew Luck was in the draft, I'd be more sympathetic. But even with JaDaveon Clowney, who was viewed as the top draft prospect for a full year, how has that ended up? The draft is a crap shoot.

But every new season you know you are going to have around two-thirds of the roster stay the same. I'd rather see the players on the team right now continue to compete, improve throughout the season, learn how to play together, and win.

Yes it's a crapshoot but it's not hard to do a little basic math. The higher your pick, the better chance you get an impactful player.

Has it ever been for 50+ years? Even if there were players to take, the Lions would end up with a TE who doesn't blocking and with bad hands.

What drafting history are you going by? The Lions? Well, we did draft Barry and Calvin. But for your theory to make sense, the Lions would already have a couple Super Bowl wins and a stud team this year. But we'll be starting all over, possibly even with a new coach and QB. Maybe we can use all the coming high draft picks and just go after a QB for the next 5 years. And the beat goes on..................

A point. Drafting higher in the draft makes zero difference except for money concerns. Top 5 picks for 3 or 4 years in a row? You won't be able to keep them anyway.

Drafting down with New England? 4 Super Bowl wins? Hmmm....maybe we've been drafting too high for all these years?

You're not going to change the minds of people who think this way. It happens every year. And then it comes back the next season. What's that tell you?

People think we can trade down, it's rarely done anymore. And in theory, they do have a point. Draft as high as possible. Maybe the Lions will get a new GM that actually has a keen eye for talent and a coach who can develop said talent. But.....this IS the Lions. When have they EVER done that? I bet the Lions are near the top in the last 20 years in Draft Pick slots, averaged out. And? Nothing to show for it. So rooting for them to lose, ever, is totally against every single fiber in my being.

Honestly, I would much rather see them earn the last draft pick every year.

I decided while clearing the snow off of my deck that I want the Lions to win regardless of draft position.

It's not earth shattering, but I think the people making the decisions are far more important than where in the draft they are selecting players. So if the Lions end up losing out and picking at the top of the draft but fail the GM hire then they will continue to lose regularly regardless of the high pick. If they win out and hire the right GM then they will start getting value out of their picks.

Has it ever been for 50+ years? Even if there were players to take, the Lions would end up with a TE who doesn't blocking and with bad hands.

What drafting history are you going by? The Lions? Well, we did draft Barry and Calvin. But for your theory to make sense, the Lions would already have a couple Super Bowl wins and a stud team this year. But we'll be starting all over, possibly even with a new coach and QB. Maybe we can use all the coming high draft picks and just go after a QB for the next 5 years. And the beat goes on..................

A point. Drafting higher in the draft makes zero difference except for money concerns. Top 5 picks for 3 or 4 years in a row? You won't be able to keep them anyway.

Drafting down with New England? 4 Super Bowl wins? Hmmm....maybe we've been drafting too high for all these years?

Guessing that has more to do with their talent evaluation than their draft position. Having a great coach helps as well. Also cheating.

Guessing that has more to do with their talent evaluation than their draft position. Having a great coach helps as well. Also cheating.

New England was just an example. There are many teams, given the Lions draft slots in the last 20 years, that would have had many more successful seasons with their picks then the Lions have had..

Yes, talent evaluation has been beyond bad for a very long time, but so has developing the talent you're given. This is one reason I want the Lions to win 8 games or so. I like Caldwell and I think he does the best he can with the lack of talent he has to work with. The roster is mostly not his doing.

Ebron? Really, the #10 pick over-all? Wow....why was this even allowed and then allowed to continue? And there are people who would rather the Lions lose to get more picks like this?

This is why the Lions need to hire someone that had some connection to New England. If he can bring his bag of cheating tricks with him to the Lions, the Lions could one day rule the football world.

I'll take historical odds versus such a small sample size.

And I'll take a small, suggestive, sample size over going through 30 years of draft data. ;-)

I don't want the Lions to become the 76ers of the NFL. And let's remember, the Patriots draft in the bottom five every year. In this year's draft, I don't see a certain difference between drafting first and fifth, or between drafting fifth and tenth. Certainly not enough to root for the team to fail every week and become utterly demoralized.

New England has a great system. Brady, Belichick, and Kraft are the only constants and they add complimentary pieces to Brady for success.

I wonder if Cowboys fan were upset about their victory today, or is that only Lions fans mentality?

I think the Cowboys fans have more hope because Romo is back and their division is terrible right now so they are still alive at 3-7.

I decided while clearing the snow off of my deck that I want the Lions to win regardless of draft position.

It's not earth shattering, but I think the people making the decisions are far more important than where in the draft they are selecting players. So if the Lions end up losing out and picking at the top of the draft but fail the GM hire then they will continue to lose regularly regardless of the high pick. If they win out and hire the right GM then they will start getting value out of their picks.

I could not agree more. No matter the situation, I can never find myself hoping for one of my teams to lose. Just can't do it.

As for where they draft, who cares at this point. Either they hire a moron who would mess up the pick no matter the number (most likely scenario) or they hire someone who can actually scout and evaluate talent and will be fine wherever they pick.

I am assuming that if we do get a new GM, along with them will come a host of new scouts and player personnel people. With new front office personnel, I assume that a better, more successful talent evaluation process will be included. If you give the Lions a higher draft slot that increases the likelihood of a new GM coming in here and having the opportunity to trade down and stockpile picks. Assuming that the GM and their regime are better at what they do, acquiring more picks gives this team a chance to maximize talent level at every position. It's all about options here and in certain situations like this, it's better to have more options.

New England has a great system. Brady, Belichick, and Kraft are the only constants and they add complimentary pieces to Brady for success.

Uhhhh... everybody knows this?

But is Rob Gronkowski a supporting piece? He was a second round pick, which means every team passed on him (yes, I know he had an injury history) and he will likely go to the HOF. (Can't wait to see that induction speech.) Jamie Collins was their first pick in 2013, at #52, and he is one of their most versatile defenders. Chandler Jones has 34 sacks in 3+ seasons, and was picked #21.

There is talent beyond the top ten picks. And the Lions have repeatedly picked in the top ten yet still can't win consistently. I'd rather see them win than pick high.