84 Lives!!!

Getting help at PF:

If Tolliver can't cut it... here are some out-of-the-box names to consider (I'm not calculating the cost in players/ picks, just tossing a few ideas out there):

Christian Wood: 76'ers

Nemanja Bjelica: Timberwolves

Adreian Payne: Timberwolves

Larry Nance Jr.: Lakers

Markieff Morris: Suns

Marvin Williams: Hornets

Amir Johnson: Celtics

Mike Muscala: Hawks

DeMarcus Cousins: Kings

Anthony Davis: Pelicans

Serge Ibaka: Thunder

JaMychal Green: Grizzlies

(Just seeing if you guys are paying attention... :wink:)

Edited by 84 Lives!!!

I would throw Harrison Barnes in there as out of the box option. I don't think the Warriors are going to rock the boat at this point and trade him but I could see them parting ways after the season. They have had some success with him as a small ball four and we could do the same with Drummond at center.

I added JaMychal Green of the Grizzlies as a young guy with some of the talents we'd be looking for at PF. But the Grizzlies won't let go unless the price is right...

That's also why I like Wood and Bjelica, and the 76'ers/ Wolves might be more open to a deal than the Grizzlies, Hornets, or Celtics...

Other than Nance, none of those names appeal to me at all. I'm ignoring Cousins, Davis, Ibaka, and Johnson.

Channing Frye might be a short term solution. His contract and age are a bit off-putting, but he is a prototypical SVG player. Good shooter and does almost nothing else well. He isn't getting much run at all in Orlando, so I bet they would love to swap him for an expiring like Jennings.

Mitch McGary in OKC. Another guy getting no run. He provides no shooting, but he is the type of guy I would love coming off of my bench. But I doubt OKC would trade a viable and cheap backup who provides them some nice insurance against injuries.

In all honesty, I probably end up standing pat. Tolliver isn't going to shoot 10% below his career average all year.

I think I agree about holding off right now. Let's keep in mind that he's a new father. Life changes like that can be rough on a parent. It doesn't help the box score, but I think they're playing well enough as a team to weather through his shooting issues for now.

Other than Nance, none of those names appeal to me at all. I'm ignoring Cousins, Davis, Ibaka, and Johnson.

Channing Frye might be a short term solution. His contract and age are a bit off-putting, but he is a prototypical SVG player. Good shooter and does almost nothing else well. He isn't getting much run at all in Orlando, so I bet they would love to swap him for an expiring like Jennings.

Mitch McGary in OKC. Another guy getting no run. He provides no shooting, but he is the type of guy I would love coming off of my bench. But I doubt OKC would trade a viable and cheap backup who provides them some nice insurance against injuries.

In all honesty, I probably end up standing pat. Tolliver isn't going to shoot 10% below his career average all year.

Its amazing how bad Morris,KCP and Tolliver are shooting compared to their career averages.

I suggested Jennings for Frye in the offseason. Still can't decide if its a good idea though. Payne intrigues me.

I think I agree about holding off right now. Let's keep in mind that he's a new father. Life changes like that can be rough on a parent. It doesn't help the box score, but I think they're playing well enough as a team to weather through his shooting issues for now.

Yeah, I would certainly understand the desire to give more time to Tolliver to pick it up, which I think he also will do at some point.

I'm not even necessarily advocating trading Tolliver to get a different PF.

But I selected quite a few younger guys for the long-term potential of developing someone that can fit into SVG's rotation, meeting his specs. Not that any of the younger guys fit exactly; but have skills and could be molded. And the guys I listed are contributing already sort of in the manner that SVG looks for...

Guys like Marvin Williams and Amir Johnson are more like deadline guys to look at if Tolliver is still struggling badly at that time. In order to make a playoff push. Although, the Hornets & Celtics will also be in that same playoff push so not certain that they'd actually be available...

I like the idea of trying to grab a younger PF though, that could be developed into a rotation guy there simply in terms of having that depth. Team's struggling this year may give up a piece for the right price. And I don't think I would mind having that depth this year for the playoffs... just in case.

... Guys like Marvin Williams and Amir Johnson are more like deadline guys to look at if Tolliver is still struggling badly at that time. In order to make a playoff push. Although, the Hornets & Celtics will also be in that same playoff push so not certain that they'd actually be available...

I guess Patrick Patterson would fit into that same mold...

I do think Frye would be a good fit here. But I also agree about his contract. Any way we can pass some of Smith's contract off to another team in exchange for taking a bad contract like this in return?