hail2mich

2015-16 Michigan Basketball: Non-Conference GDT

What is wrong with caris levert?

Why would any NBA team draft a guy who can't play more than 10 college games without being out for the season?

I think it's more mental at this point. Probably just worried about hurting his draft stock by causing further injury. Ironically, he's just hurting himself more with all this nonsense IMO. JB's comments a few weeks ago sounded like a guy who was fed up with dealing with him.

Team is uninspiring. Can't blame JB for injuries, but this team probably isn't contending for the B10 even if Caris is healthy.

Can't blame JB for injuries, but you can blame him for lack of depth and development at this point. Also he is very stubborn in the type of player/athlete he recruits, and the Charmin soft forwards just do not cut it in the BIG. Donnal, Doyle, Wagner, Chapman, etc, are out of their element against the elite teams in the conference.

Indiana and Purdue's wins last night almost assuredly puts Michigan in the 8 seed for the big ten tournament. They will face either Psu, northwestern, or Nebraska in the first round. If they win that game, they will face Indiana in the 1/8 game.

Given that, two more wins, however they get them, will very likely be enough to get them to the tournament.

A single win will put them right in that toss up range.

I don't really care too much what happens, though. I want to see them beat Iowa and the 9 seed and comfortably get into the tournament with a chance to pull an upset. That would be fun.

But this isn't a fun team to watch, and I certainly don't expect them to do anything. So missing out on the tournament and what is likely to be a first round exit (or even a loss in the play in game) doesn't really seem like you're missing all that much.

Really would have loved to see this team in the tourney with a healthy Levert. Not saying they'd go to the Final Four, but it would at least have intrigue.

I don't know what's wrong with LeVert, but I don't think he just 'shut it down'. If he did, he's an amazing actor. When he came back and played that little bit and when they show him in pregames just walking around it looks like his leg is clearly not healthy.

Two straight years lost to serious leg problems has to make NBA teams reluctant to draft him though. That's a real shame

Really would have loved to see this team in the tourney with a healthy Levert. Not saying they'd go to the Final Four, but it would at least have intrigue.

The only time ive ever been impressed with levert was when he was playing decent sub minutes as a skinny freshman.

Since then he's been nothing but "potential." i keep hearing how good he is but he never plays. And when he does he play, he doesnt play good defense (because no one on michigan plays defense) and he dribbles the ball waaaay too much and stops the offense so everyone can watch him go one on one.

I dont see the fascination. He better hope the draft is as weak as everyone says it is.

The only time ive ever been impressed with levert was when he was playing decent sub minutes as a skinny freshman.

Since then he's been nothing but "potential." i keep hearing how good he is but he never plays. And when he does he play, he doesnt play good defense (because no one on michigan plays defense) and he dribbles the ball waaaay too much and stops the offense so everyone can watch him go one on one.

I dont see the fascination. He better hope the draft is as weak as everyone says it is.

I agree that he's not a good defender, but he's still better than the awful defenders he'd be replacing. Meanwhile

2014: 14.9 pts 4.9 rbd 3.7 ast on 42.1% shooting (40.5% from three)

2015: 16.5 pts 5.3 rbd 4.9 ast on 50.6% shooting (44.6% from three)

I mean yeah, that hasn't mattered much because he can't stay healthy, but I think a guy who was averaging 16/5/5 on 50% shooting would be pretty valuable if he was

I agree that he's not a good defender, but he's still better than the awful defenders he'd be replacing. Meanwhile

2014: 14.9 pts 4.9 rbd 3.7 ast on 42.1% shooting (40.5% from three)

2015: 16.5 pts 5.3 rbd 4.9 ast on 50.6% shooting (44.6% from three)

I mean yeah, that hasn't mattered much because he can't stay healthy, but I think a guy who was averaging 16/5/5 on 50% shooting would be pretty valuable if he was

Yes, basically.

No one cares about michigan basketball.

Pretty much, they're a boring team.

Zak Irvin being awful kind of killed them. A heralded recruit who is often asked to carry the team and he's just not very good. Add that to Dawkins/Robinson being absolutely useless on defense and you have a recipe for a mediocre boring basketball team. They really need that freshman PG to be able to play next year, because they have zero players other than Walton Jr that can handle the ball. Rahkman can drive, but he's not a PG at all, and Irvin is a turnover machine any time he's asked to run things.

In a way Albrecht going down might have been as bad for this team as Levert.

Beilein has missed in recruiting quite a bit lately. Going up against the big boys for five stars hasnt panned out.

They got burke on a late flyer from psu. Robinson was signed when he was a 3 star before he blew up. Mcgary was a different kind of cat. Hardaway wasnt much of a recruit. Stauskas was an under the radar canadian.

Michigan doesnt pay well enough to get many 5 star kids. Have to take the cast offs and develop them or get in early enough that they like you.

And this team's group of castoffs hasnt panned out. As much as i think levert is overrated, his loss has obviously hurt them.

The worst part about them is theyre boring and play soft. Its like every time they get ounched in the mouth they just ask for another and then shoot another three and dont fight forba rebkund or let someone drive for an easy lay up.

Just a meh team. Its been really disappointing coming off the burke/stauskas teams.

Beilein has missed in recruiting quite a bit lately. Going up against the big boys for five stars hasnt panned out.

They got burke on a late flyer from psu. Robinson was signed when he was a 3 star before he blew up. Mcgary was a different kind of cat. Hardaway wasnt much of a recruit. Stauskas was an under the radar canadian.

Michigan doesnt pay well enough to get many 5 star kids. Have to take the cast offs and develop them or get in early enough that they like you.

And this team's group of castoffs hasnt panned out. As much as i think levert is overrated, his loss has obviously hurt them.

The worst part about them is theyre boring and play soft. Its like every time they get ounched in the mouth they just ask for another and then shoot another three and dont fight forba rebkund or let someone drive for an easy lay up.

Just a meh team. Its been really disappointing coming off the burke/stauskas teams.

I think the "problem" with Beilein's recruiting is that he's head of the NCAA recruiting reform committee or whatever it's called and tries to play by those rules. He's not willing to stretch or break any rules to grease any wheels, something that is necessary if you want to recruit a lot of the elite players. So he's basically left going for a lot of late bloomer/under the radar types.

Couple that general hindrance with the specific one of it being tough to recruit bigs to this system, and then losing your best players to injury and your great players early to the draft, you get years like the past two, and it's not looking great going forward either.

I think the soft stuff is pretty overstated. You might be surprised to know that they're one of the top rebounding teams in the Big 10. (I was) I mean, I agree that they have players who play a soft STYLE, obviously Mark Donnal, Duncan Robinson, and Aubrey Dawkins aren't throwing themselves into the paint, but they've mostly played hard imo, they're just not good enough.

A lot of it is honestly stunning to me, I am a huge Beilein fan but the fact that someone with Dawkins' talent and being the son of a coach is as clueless and useless as he actually is is mind boggling. Ricky Doyle, Zak Irvin, and Dawkins all getting worse is a killer.

I agree that recruiting misses are the biggest problem, as we've talked about before, but he also hasn't developed players like he has throughout his career. The only guys who really seemed to get better this year were Donnal and Rahkman. I'd say Walton Jr stayed about the same, and basically everyone else on the team got worse. That's definitely a really bad sign, if it doesn't correct next year....scary times ahead.

It's kind of a tough one because I don't think it's hard to be really optimistic or really pessimistic about this team. Pessimistically, Beilein is just past it as a coach, none of the guys are going to improve, and we're stuck watching another Zak Irvin "led" team go .500 in the Big 10 and miss the tourney. Optimistically, the freshman have at least one contributor and the light goes on for Dawkins or Rahkman and the team contends for the Big 10 title. It's hard not to feel like the pessimistic side is way more likely after this season.

Michigan teams have had some pretty hard players in recent years (McGary, Morgan, Horford, Spike) and I actually thought that Burke and Hardaway were pretty tough for guards.

Stauskas didn't seem particularly tough to me, but he was not a good defender.

GRIII was just the biggest floater I ever saw. He fit well into that particular team, but I have to wonder how much of his style rubbed off on some of the other wing players, and maybe some of the younger guys we still have. I have never, ever seen a softer college starter in my life than GRIII.

So that was pretty fun to watch.

Yeah, after no 3 pointers the 2nd half they get a 3 point play and two 3 pointers the final couple minutes. The first two on beautiful basketball plays and the last on a WHY'D YOU PASS IT TO ME I'D RATHER NOT SHOOT BUT NOW I GOTTA SHOOT IT SWISHHHHH game winner.

I would think that would be enough to get Michigan into one of the "first four" games in Dayton.

I think they had an outside shot even before the win when comparing resumes with the other teams on the bubble.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:18 PM, Who is the Drizzle? said:

WHY'D YOU PASS IT TO ME I'D RATHER NOT SHOOT BUT NOW I GOTTA SHOOT IT SWISHHHHH game winner

Hahaha, yes, that's exactly how it was...I laughed the first time I saw the replay, especially after it was immediately followed by stunned IU fans in the stands.   Weeee!

1 hour ago, sabretooth said:

Hahaha, yes, that's exactly how it was...I laughed the first time I saw the replay, especially after it was immediately followed by stunned IU fans in the stands.   Weeee!

Ha, I was running around the office after so didn't see the kid until he popped up on the internetz. I really didn't expect us to win or for that shot to go in. The following couple of days were mildly annoying because a lot of people had UM still out, but then it changed overnight Saturday.

I'm not sure how I feel about having a first four game, it's cool that we potentially get to see another meaningful game, but otoh it'd be nice to be in the '2nd round' already.

On 3/15/2016 at 6:37 PM, Who is the Drizzle? said:

I'm not sure how I feel about having a first four game, it's cool that we potentially get to see another meaningful game, but otoh it'd be nice to be in the '2nd round' already.

You got your second round game.

On 3/7/2016 at 8:29 PM, Who is the Drizzle? said:

I think the "problem" with Beilein's recruiting is that he's head of the NCAA recruiting reform committee or whatever it's called and tries to play by those rules. He's not willing to stretch or break any rules to grease any wheels, something that is necessary if you want to recruit a lot of the elite players. So he's basically left going for a lot of late bloomer/under the radar types.

Couple that general hindrance with the specific one of it being tough to recruit bigs to this system, and then losing your best players to injury and your great players early to the draft, you get years like the past two, and it's not looking great going forward either.

It's not winning if you have to cheat to do it.

On 3/6/2016 at 6:09 PM, Buddha said:

Very true.  Though I think Beilein really goes hard after players that he thinks will fit his system, even if they may not be 5* recruits.  I think that hurts them in today's college basketball, with all the one & dones.