hail2mich

2015-16 Michigan Basketball: Non-Conference GDT

Well, big win vs Purdue in which they somehow outrebounded a team of giants. I will say Rahkman has really stepped up his defense the last two games, at least as far as forcing turnovers and making some plays.

Two more wins out of the next five should put them safely in the tournament. They really needed that Purdue win.

I was expecting a 10 point blowout for Purdue. Not sure where the post up defense came from, but it bodes well going forward.

Two more wins out of the next five should put them safely in the tournament. They really needed that Purdue win.

I'd love to see them beat OSU tomorrow night. With NW at home still that'd about do it. Purdue really was a huge win.

For all the mild consternation I've seen about the season, they don't have a bad loss and they've basically gone 8-4 in the B1G without LaVert.

The overall results haven't been bad, it's simply that every loss has been a beatdown.

They didn't approach putting up a fight vs MSU, Indiana, Xavier, SMU, or UConn, and the Purdue and Iowa games both got ugly late after a good effort.

I think people would be way less upset if they had the exact same record, but say, MSU, Indiana, and SMU had all been 6 point losses where they were at least within striking distance as opposed to complete destructions.

The overall results haven't been bad, it's simply that every loss has been a beatdown.

They didn't approach putting up a fight vs MSU, Indiana, Xavier, SMU, or UConn, and the Purdue and Iowa games both got ugly late after a good effort.

I think people would be way less upset if they had the exact same record, but say, MSU, Indiana, and SMU had all been 6 point losses where they were at least within striking distance as opposed to complete destructions.

Yep, that's the mild consternation.

Anyone watching this game vs. OSU? ESPN is using this awful camera angle as if it's from floor seats for the entire game. This sucks.

The camera angle sucks, what also sucks is seeing a 6'4 guy on Ohio State with no particular athletic ability who knows how to get to the basket, score, get the ball in the paint, score, and so on. Michigan has zero players who can do these things

Aubrey Dawkins can shoot threes as well as anyone and jump out of the gym, it's almost incomprehensible that he's so incapable of getting to the basket or playing defense

Live sports is pretty much the only reason I still have cable TV. If ESPN starts pulling crap like that on a regular basis.... goodbye.

Ruined this game entirely (not that M's play would have been much worth watching anyway...)

Yeah, I only saw a couple minutes, but the camera angle basically made me not care how the game was going (not that I could tell anyway).

It's a great angle if you don't really like sports or care about the outcome of a game.

Wolverine & Buckeye fans unite. Using that camera angle for the entire game was terrible. I'd like to not see that again.

When I turned the game on I thought the regular camera was temporarily out of order so they were stuck using that one, then the announcers started talking about how great it was and how everyone loved it. Horror show.

I actually didn't think Michigan played too badly, they just lack the players to win a game on the road vs a good opponent when they shoot 5-24 from three point range. If Walton Jr and Duncan Robinson are both missing everything, it's going to be tough to win.

The only real 'bad' play imo was the terrible lack of defense on Ohio State's never ending curls off of screens. If you don't have a perimeter defender who can fight through a screen you're in a lot of trouble in today's game.

When I turned the game on I thought the regular camera was temporarily out of order so they were stuck using that one, then the announcers started talking about how great it was and how everyone loved it. Horror show.

I actually didn't think Michigan played too badly, they just lack the players to win a game on the road vs a good opponent when they shoot 5-24 from three point range. If Walton Jr and Duncan Robinson are both missing everything, it's going to be tough to win.

The only real 'bad' play imo was the terrible lack of defense on Ohio State's never ending curls off of screens. If you don't have a perimeter defender who can fight through a screen you're in a lot of trouble in today's game.

The pick and roll D has been awful....if their guards are too weak to fight through the screen, then they need to instruct their big guys to commit to the switch off...that's suboptimal but at least it wouldn't leave guards wide-open all of the time.

Good effort against Maryland. The defense is just brutal. If they don't have anyone who can stop a drive to the basket, they might want to just risk playing more zone.

I think they've done a surprisingly decent job in the paint (the rebounding numbers for this team are actually shockingly good) but the SG and SF spots just get roasted on moves to the basket constantly. If you're going to play a small lineup, that can't happen every trip down.

Maryland turned the ball over a lot, but they averaged over 1 and a half points per possession when they didn't. That's insane. Walton Jr. did a pretty good job vs Trimble I thought, but the Maryland SF and PF just killed them with moves to the hoop again and again. When they didn't score themselves, you had Donnal having to come out of position (he did get 5 blocks) leaving their big men free for easy buckets or offensive rebounds.

Dawkins is basically out of the rotation due to his brutal defense, but it's not as if Duncan Robinson is any better. Rahkman gets some steals at least, but he hasn't shown much ability to keep people in front of him either.

It felt like they were going to steal that one. Would have been a huge win for them to lock up that tournament bid.

Things are looking very dicey right now. I know they are on the right side of the cut line at the moment, but there isn't a lot of room for error. Their remaining three games are vastly different. Home against northwestern is about as must win as they get. That would be a really bad loss.

The Wisconsin game on the road is the closest to a toss up they have left.

Iowa looks like a loss but it's at home and Michigan could be playing for a lot in that one.

If they beat northwestern and lose to Wisconsin, they probably have to beat Iowa to feel safe. In any case, it really feels like they need to win two more.

I'd put them at 50/50 to finish 2-1.

If they go 1-2 with the win coming against northwestern, I think they will be less than 50% to make the tournament.

It felt like they were going to steal that one. Would have been a huge win for them to lock up that tournament bid.

Things are looking very dicey right now. I know they are on the right side of the cut line at the moment, but there isn't a lot of room for error. Their remaining three games are vastly different. Home against northwestern is about as must win as they get. That would be a really bad loss.

The Wisconsin game on the road is the closest to a toss up they have left.

Iowa looks like a loss but it's at home and Michigan could be playing for a lot in that one.

If they beat northwestern and lose to Wisconsin, they probably have to beat Iowa to feel safe. In any case, it really feels like they need to win two more.

I'd put them at 50/50 to finish 2-1.

If they go 1-2 with the win coming against northwestern, I think they will be less than 50% to make the tournament.

I think if they beat Iowa or Wisconsin they're in. If they beat neither of them they'd probably have to win two games in the Big 10 tourney to get in. If they somehow lose to Northwestern they should just cancel the season before anyone picks up a crippling injury that inexplicably ruins next season.

I thought the Michigan loss to Ohio State was a real stinger for their tourney hopes. I don't think both Ohio State and Michigan make the tourney (outside of a crazy B1G tourney run). IMO, it will be one of the two. I would think Michigan has the edge right now (especially with OSU having Iowa and MSU to finish the regular season), but they could have put the Buckeyes away if they had beaten them IMO. Michigan really needs 2 more wins this season, and 2 wins in the B1G tourney to make them a sure thing. IMO, Michigan needs 22 wins (when you include B1G tourney) to be a "more than likely" tourney team. 21 wins could get them in, but I would say there is less than a 10% chance they make the field if they can't win at least 3 more games.

I think your math is way off.

As for osu, they would have no chance of making the tournament if it were based on today's records. If they win two of their three games against MSU and Iowa, they will be in the conversation. Not necessarily at the expense of Michigan.

A win over northwestern and one against Wisconsin or Iowa makes them almost a sure thing. They would probably be the 7 or 8 seed and play northwestern or Nebraska or psu in the first round. That would be a game they have to win, but they would not need to win a second game against the 1 or 2 seed.

I would say they need this: win over northwestern, plus 2 more wins any way they can get them (wisc plus first round, Iowa plus first round, or first round plus second round, or even wisc plus Iowa and a loss in the first game).

I think your math is way off.

As for osu, they would have no chance of making the tournament if it were based on today's records. If they win two of their three games against MSU and Iowa, they will be in the conversation. Not necessarily at the expense of Michigan.

A win over northwestern and one against Wisconsin or Iowa makes them almost a sure thing. They would probably be the 7 or 8 seed and play northwestern or Nebraska or psu in the first round. That would be a game they have to win, but they would not need to win a second game against the 1 or 2 seed.

I would say they need this: win over northwestern, plus 2 more wins any way they can get them (wisc plus first round, Iowa plus first round, or first round plus second round, or even wisc plus Iowa and a loss in the first game).

I hope you're right. Michigan just doesn't seem to have very many key wins on their schedule right now. A win against Wisconsin doesn't change that status IMO (although the same could be said of Purdue). I see Michigan and Ohio State as being the bottom of the B1G's NCAA Tourney teams. IMO, the B1G is good enough to warrant 7 teams this year. Michigan is #7 and Ohio State is #8, in my B1G teams making the tourney right now. IMO, it comes down to who finishes well. Ohio State is likely to lose 2, if not all 3, of those last games especially with 2 of those games being on the road.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that the B1G fields 8 teams in the tourney this year, but I think 7 is the best they do. It could turn to 6 really quickly if both Michigan and Ohio State lose out to end the season (or get bounced first round in the B1G tourney, after losing 2 of 3).

Edited by belcherboy

It could easily become six teams from the big ten.

I think you are giving osu way too much credit right now. They only have a single win all year against an rpi top 50 team. They really have no business being in the conversation until they win at least one more game against a good team.

Their only "good" win so far is Kentucky.

They also have three losses against teams that are worse than 100 rpi.

Michigan has three "good wins" against Maryland, Texas, and Purdue. And not a single bad loss.

Michigan is right on the border of being good enough. They are probably one of the last four teams in right now. The loss to Maryland recently did little to change their standing. A win over northwestern will do little to improve it. A loss to Iowa won't hurt them.

I think a lot hinges on that Wisconsin game.

Seriously, though, osu isn't even in the discussion right now. If they knock off MSU tonight, then it might be worth giving them some attention.

It could easily become six teams from the big ten.

I think you are giving osu way too much credit right now. They only have a single win all year against an rpi top 50 team. They really have no business being in the conversation until they win at least one more game against a good team.

Their only "good" win so far is Kentucky.

I was considering Michigan a good win, but you are correct about them not having many wins to hang their hat on.

They also have three losses against teams that are worse than 100 rpi.

Michigan has three "good wins" against Maryland, Texas, and Purdue. And not a single bad loss.

Michigan is right on the border of being good enough. They are probably one of the last four teams in right now. The loss to Maryland recently did little to change their standing. A win over northwestern will do little to improve it. A loss to Iowa won't hurt them.

I think a lot hinges on that Wisconsin game.

Seriously, though, osu isn't even in the discussion right now. If they knock off MSU tonight, then it might be worth giving them some attention.

I only threw them in the discussion because they have a perfect recipe with Iowa and 2 MSU games to end the season, along with their win against Michigan recently. I could see them leapfrogging Michigan into the NCAA tourney if they end strong and can get through a few rounds in the B1G tourney.

I agree with you that they really don't deserve consideration till after tonight. Hopefully it ends tonight!

Yeah, the only thing OSU really has going for them compared to Michigan is head to head. There only decent wins are at home vs Michigan and beating Kentucky back when Kentucky kind of stunk. They've also lost to some terrible teams.

And they followed that up by joining Michigan in the 'pounded by Sparty at home' club last night. I'd say it's more likely that neither OSU or Michigan makes the tourney than that OSU takes Michigan's spot.

Yeah, the only thing OSU really has going for them compared to Michigan is head to head. There only decent wins are at home vs Michigan and beating Kentucky back when Kentucky kind of stunk. They've also lost to some terrible teams.

And they followed that up by joining Michigan in the 'pounded by Sparty at home' club last night. I'd say it's more likely that neither OSU or Michigan makes the tourney than that OSU takes Michigan's spot.

It definitely looks that way now. I noticed a few people had them as a bubble team earlier this week (I think the link below had them as just missing the cut). Last night should have ended all that, but if they were to win their last two, I could see a scenario where they could sneak in. I'm happy to see their demise, but I'm a little more worried about Michigan now, as the more I read, people are starting to cool down on them as compared to just a few weeks ago.

Bracketology: NCAA Tournament bubbles are bursting all over the country - SBNation.com

This team is really scuffling right now. Good for them in digging deep and avoiding a loss that would have effectively submarined their tourney hopes.

However, according to the crashing the dance data, Michigan is currently the last at large team in the field. The northwestern win meant nothing. And I think they got hurt a bit by penn state dropping back to 102, removing two top 100 wins. That shouldn't mean much, and doesn't mean much, but when you are right on the bubble, every little thing counts.

As it stands, Michigan is still hanging its hat on three top 25 wins and the lack of any bad losses.

I still think as long as they win one of the remaining two games against Wisconsin and Iowa they will get in (assuming they can avoid a bad loss in their first big ten tourney game).

If they lose both of these final games, they can probably still get in if they win two big ten tournament games, because that second one would be against one of the top teams in the conference.

The easiest path is simply beating Wisconsin and then not screwing up that first big ten tourney game.

What is wrong with caris levert?

Why would any NBA team draft a guy who can't play more than 10 college games without being out for the season?