hail2mich

2015-16 Michigan Basketball: Non-Conference GDT

I figured we should get this thread started for this season. It's all about football right now in Ann Arbor, but there's also a pretty decent team over in the Crisler Center too!

I have not been able to watch them in their first two games, but a good test tonight at 9:00 vs. Xavier on the BTN.

Edited by hail2mich

Not a very good first half from Michigan. It was pretty even until the last couple minutes, and now Xavier leads 45-36. Defense was very sketchy.

I'm in a cabin. Internet, no tv. Anyway to stream tonight's game? I looked on AXS website, my Directv account, doesn't seem like there's a legal way to do it.

Not a very good first half from Michigan. It was pretty even until the last couple minutes, and now Xavier leads 45-36. Defense was very sketchy.

That was a bad game. Beilein says that part of the issue is adjusting to the new rules. He claims they favor guys getting the ball way out on the perimeter and just driving with a head of steam. They certainly had more fouls than a typical Beilein team. If he's right their lack of shot blockers/rim protectors is going to hurt them like never before.

Link worked. Had to download a player.

Is this game seriously in a hotel ball room??? This is the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

Zak Irvin and Ricky Doyle are absolutely horrible basketball players at the moment. Those two better improve by the Big 10 season

I know this season has been kind of quiet for Michigan, but they just beat #3 Maryland at Crisler...without LeVert playing. Impressive win!

I figured I'd just post it here rather than make a conference thread. If anyone can change the title, it would be much appreciated.

I know this season has been kind of quiet for Michigan, but they just beat #3 Maryland at Crisler...without LeVert playing. Impressive win!

I figured I'd just post it here rather than make a conference thread. If anyone can change the title, it would be much appreciated.

Irvin, Walton Jr, and Donnal all had big games. If they can play like that on a more regular basis this is a good team.

This team is pretty unwatchable right now. That stretch against Indiana on Tuesday where the Hoosiers went on a 25-0 run was flat out embarrassing to watch. They're getting worked right now by MSU.

The only saving grace for this team is that their two best Juniors couldn't possibly make an NBA roster unless they come back and have much better Senior years.

The fact that Chatman cannot even put up points in garbage time is just amazing to me.

Beilein had a pretty magical run there with Burke/Hardaway/Robinson/McGary, but he's had a couple of subpar recruiting years in a row. This isn't a bad program, but they don't seem likely to compete with likes of MSU and other top-10 programs for the foreseeable future.

Edited by sabretooth

Since the 25-0 Indy run, they seem to be putting out a lot of effort, but they don't have any clue about how to play defense, not individually or as a group. Their total lack of switching on pick and rolls is killing them, as well as their lack of cohesive transition D. The good news is that these problems can be addressed through better coaching....the poor shooting can improve also with better D.

The biggsst problem i see is general athletic inferiority. They cannot hold their own in the paint with the better teams and even Irvin looked gassed about halfway through the 1st quarter abainst MSU. JB has got to rethink their S&C approach completely.

Since the 25-0 Indy run, they seem to be putting out a lot of effort, but they don't have any clue about how to play defense, not individually or as a group. Their total lack of switching on pick and rolls is killing them, as well as their lack of cohesive transition D. The good news is that these problems can be addressed through better coaching....the poor shooting can improve also with better D.

The biggsst problem i see is general athletic inferiority. They cannot hold their own in the paint with the better teams and even Irvin looked gassed about halfway through the 1st quarter abainst MSU. JB has got to rethink their S&C approach completely.

I don't think JB needs to change anything. He's been successful by doing what he does. He's not an elite coach but he's a very good coach and that's better than you can expect to get.

He did strike gold with the Burke hardaway stauskas regime. That's a generational collection of college talent. That's not the type of team we can expect to ever see again.

I don't think it's a matter of S&C. They ran into a couple buzzsaws this past week. Indiana and MSU are two of the best teams in the country and very good both offensively and defensively. If you don't make your shots against them they will roast you. If they are making a lot of their own shots, it makes it that much harder to score.

Beilein's teams have never been good defensively. Their only path to success is making their shots on offense and being able to get set up on defense. It's a tricky balance, but it can lead to blowouts when things start to snowball.

This year hasn't gone as planned. Levert's injury has not helped matters. Walton and Irvin both had slow starts due to injury. On the bright side they both look to be ok at the moment.

I think it's a matter of recruiting. TBH, they don't have good enough players with Levert out. I think Beilein is absolutely a top 5 coach in the country as far as on the court stuff goes, but he has not done well recruiting the past few years, especially given the theoretical momentum from having 2 great teams in a row.

Rahkman is a one dimensional player, Dawkins is a one dimensional player, Wagner/Doyle/Wilson are not ready to play major minutes in the Big 10. Robinson is a one dimensional player, albeit given that he's a D3 transfer he's been amazing.

Irvin and Walton Jr are the only guys on the court right now who can really make plays.

Dawkins and Robinson are spot up shooters who are horrendous defensively, Rahkman is a slasher who is horrendous defensively. They really need a 2 guard who can actually defend and a 2nd big man. Ideally Levert will return at some point and fill that #1 spot, but I don't know where the big man is coming from unless it's Davis or Tesche next year.

Someone on 97.1 went over their top recruiting targets for the past 3 years and they've basically missed their top 5(realistic) targets every single year. Hard to keep up at that point.

That said, BPI has us 55th with Levert not playing for a pretty good stretch here. Lets not panic too hard. Wish we had landed a guy like Kennard though.

Yeah, they simply haven't recruited good enough players. They will eventually hit on the right guys. They still need to get lucky on some of the guys.

They need Steven Ross or someone to step up and start making some contributions to AAU coaches.

I mean, ahem, they need to try harder on the recruiting trail to avoid those situations where all of the top recruits love Michigan and show a ton of interest and then commit to Cal or Memphis or some other trash can program for no reason.

Recruiting is clearly a problem...but the resolution for that is several years away in terms of on the court play.

In the meantime I think they need to improve conditioning and coaching. I think JBs teams have been a little soft and mixed bag effort/concentration wise thru the years.

JB is a good coach, but I think he needs to take stronger tactical control of his team, instruct and motivate them more effectively in real time to avoid the periods of play that are punctuated by poor effort/concentration.

Edited by sabretooth

Re recruiting: Beilein had a commit from 5* T Battle only to see him decommit a while later. To make it worse another 5* wanted to commit but was told we were full due to the Battle commit, kid committed to MSU.

Wagner is gonna be good imo.

I think it's a matter of recruiting. TBH, they don't have good enough players with Levert out. I think Beilein is absolutely a top 5 coach in the country as far as on the court stuff goes, but he has not done well recruiting the past few years, especially given the theoretical momentum from having 2 great teams in a row.

Rahkman is a one dimensional player, Dawkins is a one dimensional player, Wagner/Doyle/Wilson are not ready to play major minutes in the Big 10. Robinson is a one dimensional player, albeit given that he's a D3 transfer he's been amazing.

Irvin and Walton Jr are the only guys on the court right now who can really make plays.

Dawkins and Robinson are spot up shooters who are horrendous defensively, Rahkman is a slasher who is horrendous defensively. They really need a 2 guard who can actually defend and a 2nd big man. Ideally Levert will return at some point and fill that #1 spot, but I don't know where the big man is coming from unless it's Davis or Tesche next year.

I love JB as a coach, but I've always questioned his recruiting philosophy, especially being that they okay in the BIG. I still just watch and shake my head whenever Doyle is on the floor. Doyle cannot shoot, defend, run, catch, etc. Basically he cannot play the game of basketball and I am not sure how he was offered a scholarship. A lot of the other guys on the roster (Dawkins, Donnal, Robinson) are nice pieces but not go to players.

I know the mass exodus from a few years ago really set the program back. But damn, I am let down looking at the roster going forward. It will be the same next year, spot shooters and charmin soft forwards who will get pushed around in conference play.

Hopefully they can make the tourney and somehow win a few games, and flip a few recruits.