hail2mich

GDT: #12 Michigan at Penn State 11/21/2015

So what would need to happen for Michigan to make it into the Big 10 championship game? Besides beating OSU?

MSU would have to lose to PSU

Game thoughts:

James Franklin is a really bad game day coach.

Penn State's offensive line is comically bad for the 2nd year in a row

Michigan's pass defense is pretty amazing

Michigan's RBs are real bad

Good win, next week certainly looks a lot more winnable now.

That was a good win for Michigan yesterday. They got very few breaks until the punt muff, which makes up for a lot.

To be honest though it doesn't even feel like they won today after OSU couldn't hold up their end of the bargain.

The upcoming game is almost meaningless now, aside from the "feels" of beating your rival and going to a "better" bowl game. That stuff doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Beating OSU and not winning the big ten isn't all that great.

That was a good win for Michigan yesterday. They got very few breaks until the punt muff, which makes up for a lot.

To be honest though it doesn't even feel like they won today after OSU couldn't hold up their end of the bargain.

The upcoming game is almost meaningless now, aside from the "feels" of beating your rival and going to a "better" bowl game. That stuff doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Beating OSU and not winning the big ten isn't all that great.

Somewhat agree, but it's better than losing.

If we can beat OSU then I would call it a successful season. 10-2 and a win over a rival and a New Years six bowl game is pretty good.

Just a bummer that the big ten championship is likely off the table after it seemed like a real possibility.

Don't see it that like really. A ten win season, beating OSU and a better bowl game, but esp beating Meyer in Harbaughs year - is worth a lot to the program. Beating your rivals is still important in College football in a way is isn't in the NFL. Plus the college football 'championship' is still a rather mythical thing with the current selection process and the the general nature of college football.

I know Dantonio has mostly fixed MSU's issues with hilariously blowing their seasons, but I'm not going to say the Big 10 title is off the table with them facing a pretty good defensive team with quite possibly a backup QB. I know PSU are not very good, but it's not like MSU only have to beat Maryland or Rutgers (who they actually barely beat!) to get in.

I know Dantonio has mostly fixed MSU's issues with hilariously blowing their seasons, but I'm not going to say the Big 10 title is off the table with them facing a pretty good defensive team with quite possibly a backup QB. I know PSU are not very good, but it's not like MSU only have to beat Maryland or Rutgers (who they actually barely beat!) to get in.

If Cook can't go it could be interesting. I haven't been impressed with State or Ohio State this year. Penn State's OL is a disaster though so it's hard to imagine them getting much done on the road against a team playing for a championship game.

Don't see it that like really. A ten win season, beating OSU and a better bowl game, but esp beating Meyer in Harbaughs year - is worth a lot to the program. Beating your rivals is still important in College football in a way is isn't in the NFL. Plus the college football 'championship' is still a rather mythical thing with the current selection process and the the general nature of college football.

Yeah, I try not to let arbitrary things control how I feel about things, and college football sure is arbitrary. It'd certainly be nice to get to watch Michigan in an extra big game or two (**** you ND), but I'm going to enjoy and remember the actual season rather get caught up in all the manufactured crap.

As for the arbitrary things, assuming MSU takes care of business, I guess I can root for Oklahoma and ND and Clemson and bama to make the playoff.

Could also hope for Iowa to win out and bump ND out. Maybe we could then play ND in the peach bowl or something if we win.

As for the arbitrary things, assuming MSU takes care of business, I guess I can root for Oklahoma and ND and Clemson and bama to make the playoff.

Could also hope for Iowa to win out and bump ND out. Maybe we could then play ND in the peach bowl or something if we win.

Oh, that would be juicy. ND avoids us only to get their *** kicked by us in a bowl game.

I'm fine with any scenario that doesn't involve MSU winning a national title. Oklahoma and Bama look like the truth right now.

I'll get the OSU thread up early this week. My oh my does that game suddenly look a little more favorable.

I understand the thought process that the game doesn't mean as much as it could when considering the conference/national championship implications. But the possibility of getting to 10 wins in the regular season in Harbaugh's first year, and sending a statement to OSU and the nation about Michigan football is pretty meaningful to me.

I'll get the OSU thread up early this week. My oh my does that game suddenly look a little more favorable.

I understand the thought process that the game doesn't mean as much as it could when considering the conference/national championship implications. But the possibility of getting to 10 wins in the regular season in Harbaugh's first year, and sending a statement to OSU and the nation about Michigan football is pretty meaningful to me.

I expected a 9 or 10 win regular season. The more experienced OL, a competent QB and Harbaugh's mind for offense was the reason for my optimism. Having said that, I think Harbaugh is just scratching the surface. Another year in his system and his own recruits (particularly on offense) make the future bright.

Every game MSU plays against a decent team goes down to the wire so I don't think it's over yet. Cook isn't suddenly going to become healthy in a week either.

If Franklin lets Penn State air it out then they have a chance. Franklin seems like a terrible conservative coach, so I assume MSU will win another close game.

Either way, Michigan should just beat OSU anyway and keep building off wins for the program.

I expected a 9 or 10 win regular season. The more experienced OL, a competent QB and Harbaugh's mind for offense was the reason for my optimism. Having said that, I think Harbaugh is just scratching the surface. Another year in his system and his own recruits (particularly on offense) make the future bright.

I thought they could pontentially get to 10 wins if everything went right, simply because the schedule didn't look too tough. Utah was better than I thought so it was really 9 after week 1. The thing is tho, if Rudock played the MSU and Utah games like he has the last several weeks, we could be undefeated, so there's some disappointment in retrospect.

The real surprise for me is the DLine and the 2 WRs, I think they've been great. DBs have been awesome, but I thought they'd be really good. OL has been average as expected, I thought they'd have to be plus to get to 10. RBs have been poor, but kind of expected that too. (If I knew there wouldn't be much of a running game before the season, I would have said 7-5). I also thought Rudock would be better from the start. Kicking game has been waaaay better than I thought, save for one play.

I thought they could pontentially get to 10 wins if everything went right, simply because the schedule didn't look too tough. Utah was better than I thought so it was really 9 after week 1. The thing is tho, if Rudock played the MSU and Utah games like he has the last several weeks, we could be undefeated, so there's some disappointment in retrospect.

The real surprise for me is the DLine and the 2 WRs, I think they've been great. DBs have been awesome, but I thought they'd be really good. OL has been average as expected, I thought they'd have to be plus to get to 10. RBs have been poor, but kind of expected that too. (If I knew there wouldn't be much of a running game before the season, I would have said 7-5). I also thought Rudock would be better from the start. Kicking game has been waaaay better than I thought, save for one play.

I expected the running game to be better too. I thought the defense was pretty good last year...ranked 13th against run and 17th against the pass. Before they took the field for the first game one of the announcers said it was going to take Harbaugh 3+ years to turn Michigan around. I thought that was crazy. That was the picture when Hoke came in and as I've said before, he paid a lot of the rebuilding dues. (This is not to say Hoke would have had the same results, just that Harbaugh thankfully wasn't starting at the bottom rung.)

I was growing pretty frustrated with Rudock but he's sure turned it around. It's easy to forget it takes time for a new offense to gel and for timing to get worked out.

Rudock is not a very good QB, and bombing on two of the absolute worst pass defenses in college football doesn't change that, but going from not a very good QB who misses wide open guys and throws horrible game losing interceptions to not a very good QB who avoids horrible mistakes and occasionally makes a really nice throw has been a pretty huge upgrade for the team.

I'm still awfully excited about next year with (hopefully) improved QB play and almost every contributor from this season returning.

From all I hear O'Korn might be the real deal. That'd be great, because Harbaugh's Luck2.0 probably won't be ready until 2017.

From all I hear O'Korn might be the real deal. That'd be great, because Harbaugh's Luck2.0 probably won't be ready until 2017.

Also some rumors out there that the kid from BYU might be looking to transfer to UM for his 5th year. Taysom Hill. He's an extremely talented dual-thread kid that keeps suffering season-ending injuries. Threw for 2900 yds and rushed for 1300 his sophomore year but has only been able to play in 7 games the past 2 seasons.

Is there any way to re-open the college forum so fans from outside schools can post on the UM forum?

I know why it is the way it is, but is there any chance for a change?

I expected the running game to be better too. I thought the defense was pretty good last year...ranked 13th against run and 17th against the pass. Before they took the field for the first game one of the announcers said it was going to take Harbaugh 3+ years to turn Michigan around. I thought that was crazy. That was the picture when Hoke came in and as I've said before, he paid a lot of the rebuilding dues. (This is not to say Hoke would have had the same results, just that Harbaugh thankfully wasn't starting at the bottom rung.)

I was growing pretty frustrated with Rudock but he's sure turned it around. It's easy to forget it takes time for a new offense to gel and for timing to get worked out.

I was hoping the O-Line would have kept improving more than they did as well, but also I think some of the problem is because none of the backs have the speed to get outside. They really can only run between the tackles and the Ds know it.

Assuming the Spartans win Saturday, cheering for Iowa to go as far as possible is my preference. I don't like the idea of a 1-loss Big Ten champ being held out of the playoff, thus rewarding ND for being a pseudo-member of a conference and rewarding the Big 12 for not having a conference championship game. Also don't like the thought of a 1-loss Big Ten champ getting blown out in a playoff game and giving the conference a black eye, as I like to think that the intra-conference Big 10 games in October and November mean something nationally.