ROMAD1

Welcome back Cameron Maybin

I might argue that they need to take risks because they will need some surprises this year in order to win the division. It might make sense to acquire some high risk high reward players over safe bets who you know won't get better.

That is really the whole enchilada in a taco chip. Finding guys - whether by scouting or numbers research or just plain lucky seat of the pants hunches, that produce more than expectation.

I'm so spoiled by the JD/Cespedes outfield act, it took me back to my childhood with Kaline/Colavito. Now it's "JD and a Bunch of Guys Who Suck", and that's a big letdown for me. Left field is one of the lowest-value defensive positions, so having someone out there with a sub-.700 OPS really hurts.

I'm so spoiled by the JD/Cespedes outfield act, it took me back to my childhood with Kaline/Colavito. Now it's "JD and a Bunch of Guys Who Suck", and that's a big letdown for me. Left field is one of the lowest-value defensive positions, so having someone out there with a sub-.700 OPS really hurts.

I think in general the "poorly fielding" LF is acceptable. But with the dimensions in Commercial, I don't know if defense cannot be ignored as easily. And there are the other variables like the pitching staff tendencies, and how much ground the CF can cover (which might not even matter much), etc, etc.

I think I vaguely recall references to just leaving Maybin & Granderson to cover the outfield preCabrera. Good times....

For instance, in baseball, projections will always be fairly similar from person to person, assuming you actually know how to project something. Predictions, on the other hand, can be all over the place.

My take on the two words has always just been objective vs subjective. Maybe it's just those of us from engineering or science - but I think in general for hard science types 'projection' means 'project from something' as in an extrapolation from some kind of data = objective/factual/numerical. So the process is basically a quantitative/mathematical process.

"Prediction" I take as a much broader term that encompasses projection but isn't limited to it and may include all kinds of non-objective input. Maybin is the good case. Some here are projecting based on his accumulated statistics that he will produce 0.5 WAR or maybe 1.5 WAR depending on how you cut the data. OTOH some -- for much more subjective reasons such as: a guess he will be healthier; an assumption that he is reaching his prime strength years; a feeling that Joyner is the perfect coach for him etc (whatever, but all non quantitative criteria) *predict* that he will have a better year than the last few.

I just said it. Projections are more of a mathematical expectation of what a player should do. I can predict the Lions will go to the Super Bowl. That doesn't mean you, me, or anyone else should think it's actually going to happen. It's just a blind, against-the-odds guess. That's how I've always looked at the two. They aren't the same thing.

This just means that you are pretty lousy at making predictions..........................

Objective vs subjective but I would temper that by an attempt to be objective. There is a certain subjectivity in which system you decide to base the projection on. But I also think people use the terms interchangeably in casual conversation about sports.

This just means that you are pretty lousy at making predictions..........................

Or I'm not a total bore and sometimes find it fun to make a prediction that is totally unlikely to happen.

Or I'm not a total bore and sometimes find it fun to make a prediction that is totally unlikely to happen.

Yoda is not boring. He makes bold predictions.

Objective vs subjective but I would temper that by an attempt to be objective. There is a certain subjectivity in which system you decide to base the projection on. But I also think people use the terms interchangeably in casual conversation about sports.

I think you're right about the two being used interchangeably. Maybe that's not the way it should be, and I'm probably guilty of that myself.

There's only one Yoda.

There's two of us, but the little green one is a copycat.

There's two of us, but the little green one is a copycat.

One is a prediction and the other is a projection. But I always confuse the two.

Love the way these threads can sometimes take on a life of their own.

Seeing Peter Bourjous on waivers for free makes me a little more unhappy with this move

note: this is not because I think he's good