Kamakzie

Agent claims Lions wanted 97.1 to fire Mike Valenti

The Lions had every right to pull their broadcast from the Ticket, but doing so for the reason they did shows just how tone-deaf and thin-skinned they are, and where their priorities lay.

I agree, if they left WXYT just because of Valenti then they are so lame that it's silly. So because of that they move from FM to AM... That seems logical. So you are telling me no other FM station in the area would take them on? If this was a good business decision Lord help us with the GM decision.

I agree, if they left WXYT just because of Valenti then they are so lame that it's silly. So because of that they move from FM to AM... That seems logical. So you are telling me no other FM station in the area would take them on? If this was a good business decision Lord help us with the GM decision.

Not only that, but signing with a company in Cumulus, that is on the verge of bankruptcy. We don't even know who will own WJR two years from now. And If I am making a deal, I want ownership stability way before I worry about some guy that says mean things about us.

Art Regnar, Gregg Henson, Doug Karsch, Scott Anderson and Mike Stone all confirmed that Bill Keenist (Lions PR man) would regularly call into their station program director or to the hosts themselves and try to bully them into a narrative.

Valenti is right, the media and truth shouldn't be allowed to be bullied into a false narrative or distorted reality.

I agree with this completely. That said, I do wonder how much false narrative or distorted reality might already be coming from various hosts? Radio hosts seem to regularly speculate about many things because they know that the fans often want that and they know they can get away with it to a level.

For example,

A local morning guy here in GR after the hiring of Wood strung along a huge narrative about how this was a Ford Women vs. Ford Men thing going on. How Lewand was a close friend of Sr. and Jr. But now that Martha and her daughter are in charge they got rid of the guy the men wanted and put in their own close personal friend in Wood. He talked about how Jr. was distancing himself from the team and that one would only do this if he felt something big was about to blow up and didn't want to be responsible for it. He said it was all a power grab by the Ford women.

Now, there maybe... heck, probably even... some level of truth in what he was saying. But at the same time he was presenting it all as proven fact. No, he never said it was solid news or factual information, but he also never said "in my opinion" or indicated in any way that he was speculating. He just dumped it all as this is the way it is.

I can very much understand an organization getting a little miffed about this if there is only limited truth to it and wanting to try to correct the inaccuracies, or at the very least get the radio talking heads to make sure listeners understand they are speculating.

WJR has already stated they are looking for an FM station to share with.

I've grown to like Valenti for the most part. He has mellowed quite a bit from his early days, and is one of the best football commentators in town, IMO. I think he's pretty objective when discussing the Lion's performance. When they're playing well, he gives them their due, like that year when he was promoting the "11-and-5 Train" until the Lions turned back into the Lions. When they suck, he's not afraid to say so.

The Lions had every right to pull their broadcast from the Ticket, but doing so for the reason they did shows just how tone-deaf and thin-skinned they are, and where their priorities lay.

Oh, and Dan Miller is one of the worst play-by-play guys I've ever heard, which I guess makes him perfect for the Lions.

I am not a fan of Valenti, but I agree with this post the most on the topic.

I would add actively trying to get anyone fired in another organization is frankly dirt-bag ****ty in my book. There are any number of people at other organizations I have worked with in my career over the years that I wasn't particularly fond of - some I genuinely disliked - and at no time did I think the appropriate thing to do was to go over their heads to try to have them fired.

That is someone's livelihood and life no matter how objectionable you may find them.

Valenti is awful, but this is still a bush league move by the Lions if true. However, they're also completely in their rights to change networks if they don't like the coverage they were receiving, they should have just done so rather than making demands

WJR has already stated they are looking for an FM station to share with.

The have two FMs in the market - 93.1, a country station that gets low ratings and 96.3 which is a Soccer Mom Top 40. I'd be willing to bet they go to 93.1 because it might get a chance for them to (locally) promote that station to a new audience.

Then again, Cumulus may not own any of those stations by the first kickoff of next season. I Heart Media (Formerly Clear Channel) will not be buying the cluster - so it could end up in the hands of a smaller or even local media company. Wouldn't be surprised to see Dan Gilbert try to pick up three strong radio stations for pennies on the dollar.

I've listened to Valenti enough to know I never want to again. He caters to the worst kind of fan. He represents the worst in human nature; negative, hyper critical, blaming, defensive. If I had a product, I wouldn't want it associated with him in any fashion whatsoever.

But for radio that's what works. I hated the guy for a long time but then I figured that's his Schtick and it appears to be working. He can be entertaining on his rants. And sometimes when he calls out fans he is spot on. I recall specifically a few years ago in the wings predators series and Shea Weber.

The have two FMs in the market - 93.1, a country station that gets low ratings and 96.3 which is a Soccer Mom Top 40. I'd be willing to bet they go to 93.1 because it might get a chance for them to (locally) promote that station to a new audience.

Then again, Cumulus may not own any of those stations by the first kickoff of next season. I Heart Media (Formerly Clear Channel) will not be buying the cluster - so it could end up in the hands of a smaller or even local media company. Wouldn't be surprised to see Dan Gilbert try to pick up three strong radio stations for pennies on the dollar.

What are the odds that CBS Radio buys the Cume-less cluster?

But for radio that's what works. I hated the guy for a long time but then I figured that's his Schtick and it appears to be working. He can be entertaining on his rants. And sometimes when he calls out fans he is spot on. I recall specifically a few years ago in the wings predators series and Shea Weber.

Right. And his schtick really has mellowed in the decade he's been on the air here. I think he was overly negative for the sake of being controversial in his early days, but now I just see him as being realistic. I really don't see him as being overly negative at all anymore. Or maybe I've become more cynical.

Can't stand Valenti. He's an arrogant, loud, annoying ego maniac. No Class, no people skills, no reason to listen to him.

I figured he would have worn out his welcome and his Schtick would be over by now but not quite yet I guess.

Go away Mike.

I've listened to Valenti enough to know I never want to again. He caters to the worst kind of fan. He represents the worst in human nature; negative, hyper critical, blaming, defensive. If I had a product, I wouldn't want it associated with him in any fashion whatsoever.

Exactly. It saddens me when I lament on how popular TV/Radio shows like that are because that represents the majority. They would not be on the air if more people hated it than liked it.

Setting aside the morality of the Lions trying to get a person fired (assuming it's true), the guy sounds like the type of host I wouldn't want to listen too.

We've got a guy here on the west side of the state who is successful in radio because he knows how to work the audience. Good for him, I guess, but it's not the type of radio I want to listen too. I want a host with an honest opinion and actually deals in facts and stats vs. a guy who will say that will resonate the best with the audience. It's just not entertaining or enjoyable when I listen and mentally correct 50-70% of what he says.

I've never heard Valenti, or at least I've never heard very much from him but it sounds kinda like he's doing his show for maximum effect vs. actual opinion.

Setting aside the morality of the Lions trying to get a person fired (assuming it's true), the guy sounds like the type of host I wouldn't want to listen too.

We've got a guy here on the west side of the state who is successful in radio because he knows how to work the audience. Good for him, I guess, but it's not the type of radio I want to listen too. I want a host with an honest opinion and actually deals in facts and stats vs. a guy who will say that will resonate the best with the audience. It's just not entertaining or enjoyable when I listen and mentally correct 50-70% of what he says.

I've never heard Valenti, or at least I've never heard very much from him but it sounds kinda like he's doing his show for maximum effect vs. actual opinion.

Give him a shot before you bag him. I think what makes him polarizing is that he DOES give good commentary on sports. He is keen on football and college football mainly. All of his other antics is what made me stop listening. I listened to him and Terry Foster from way back when the show was called the Inferno. I listened daily for MANY years (boombyae), but just got tired of the same old crap. I could tell some of what he was saying he was just saying to get a rise out of people. I even sent a couple emails about it. It was not real. Then everyone who 'knows' him even talks about how he is not the same in real life. I do not like fake people or people who say things just to say them. If you actually FEEL that way then fine, but when you are just trying to stir the pot? I honestly hate that. I do not use that word lightly, but it fits this situation.

Give him a shot before you bag him. I think what makes him polarizing is that he DOES give good commentary on sports. He is keen on football and college football mainly. All of his other antics is what made me stop listening. I listened to him and Terry Foster from way back when the show was called the Inferno. I listened daily for MANY years (boombyae), but just got tired of the same old crap. I could tell some of what he was saying he was just saying to get a rise out of people. I even sent a couple emails about it. It was not real. Then everyone who 'knows' him even talks about how he is not the same in real life. I do not like fake people or people who say things just to say them. If you actually FEEL that way then fine, but when you are just trying to stir the pot? I honestly hate that. I do not use that word lightly, but it fits this situation.

One of realities of radio is that many of the very good on air personalities are very quiet and reserved when the mike is off. They are quiet often insecure, Valenti is exactly like that.

Don't ask me why they got into broadcasting because the business is like a disease. Once you are bitten by the bug there is no cure. Valenti has also been blessed with some very good program directors along the way who helped mold him into the personality that gets ratings and revenue. That's always been the bottom line in the business. Love him or hate his on air persona, he gets results.

Sometimes he's just stirring the pot, but also, despite the intelligence he does have, he makes the classic Colin Cowherd move way too often. He thinks cynicism equals intelligence, when in fact it is typically the opposite.

I will stick to the Huge show. Never heard Valenti. But to the point, it doesn't bother me the Lions tried to get him ousted, due diligence if you ask me.

I will stick to the Huge show. Never heard Valenti. But to the point, it doesn't bother me the Lions tried to get him ousted, due diligence if you ask me.

Speaking of people who are dramatically different off the air. If Jeff Moss and others are any barometer for how the guy really acts, Huge is really a HUGE D-bag!

Exactly. It saddens me when I lament on how popular TV/Radio shows like that are because that represents the majority. They would not be on the air if more people hated it than liked it.

Researcher: The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes. The average Howard Stern fan listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes.

Pig Vomit: How can that be?

Researcher: Answer most commonly given? "I want to see what he'll say next."

Pig Vomit: Okay, fine. But what about the people who hate Stern?

Researcher: Good point. The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.

Pig Vomit: But... if they hate him, why do they listen?

Researcher: Most common answer? "I want to see what he'll say next."

Speaking of people who are dramatically different off the air. If Jeff Moss and others are any barometer for how the guy really acts, Huge is really a HUGE D-bag!

EVERYTHING I've read or heard about him falls in line with what Moss reported. Much of Moss' "expose" what stuff I'd heard/learned well before his story came out as well. He likes to bully people and intimidate them into "surrendering."

On the air I think he's very mis-informed and often will change his opinions based on the general public. I remember when he used to get upset when he was preempted for a Tigers day game. He'd complain like crazy when he finally got back on the air.

And I always loved his bit where when he didn't get his way about something he would talk ON AIR about how he just got offered a great gig in some major market and maybe he should take that cause he wasn't appreciated here.

Finally, I always picture him COVERED in stickers like a NASCAR car. I'm quite certain he'd do it if his advertisers paid him too.

I think the expectations for talking radio heads are much too high. Their job is to flush out the sentiment of the fan. I expect the radio guy to move the show along and make many bad points that are slightly offset by the rare good points.

The ESPN radio guy in GR at 4 pm does as poor of a job of this as I have seen. Huge probably is a douche, but the moves the show along and hits the main points. His opinion isn't much to be considered.

I think the expectations for talking radio heads are much too high. Their job is to flush out the sentiment of the fan. I expect the radio guy to move the show along and make many bad points that are slightly offset by the rare good points.

The ESPN radio guy in GR at 4 pm does as poor of a job of this as I have seen. Huge probably is a douche, but the moves the show along and hits the main points. His opinion isn't much to be considered.

Well, to each their own then. I would much prefer to listen to a guy who make solid points backed up by reasoning and/or facts than a guy making bad point (whether due to stupidity or intentionally done to appeal to the audience).

And yeah, I do agree that Baligian while he was on 96.1 could get bogged down and belabor a point, I'll take that over pandering to the audience (and the sponsors!) endlessly. I just can't listen to the Huge much without constantly thinking: "No, that's wrong... that you are saying is not true." Or listen to callers make statements that are completely false or based on obvious inaccurate information and Huge either not mentioning the factual error or worse, agreeing with the caller.

I personal can't enjoy myself listening to that type of show.

I give credit to Huge in that he knows how to make radio work. He knows how to make an audience listen. He knows how to make sponsors happy. In that regard he's made himself semi-successful, so kudos. But that type of show isn't one I personal could listen too. The fact that all evidence seems to point to him being a first class a-hole as well doesn't help.